+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I look after all our finances. Accounts are joint but I decide how much extra to pay off mortgage/save, pay bills, decide how much to spend on a holiday, renegotiate mortgage/insurances etc. I've just been told by other half not to stuff it up. I'm looking at changing car and I'll decide what we can afford etc - I'm pretty much able to decide all matters financial. He trusts me and I have the time which he doesn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH sorts out all our bills, mortgage payments etc. I think they're all on direct debit though. His pay goes into our joint account. Mine should be too but I keep forgetting to change it with work lol. But I transfer most of my money into a separate account anyway that pays for the car repayments and some other things. I am bad at managing my money so I'm happy for DH to sort it all out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do all the finances.

My husband earns the money and it goes into his business account then I transfer to our offset leaving $500 in his business account for his business expenses like fuel, tools, etc.

I have my own account that my pay goes into. I pay all bills that need to be paid from my account as soon as I get paid.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do it all. DP sends me her pay minus her pocket money to get her through the fortnight, and I pay bills, rent groceries etc. My pay goes on incidentals but generally I try to save it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you handle your money?

When I first met dh, he got paid physical cash. It was legit, taxed, everything above board, but they 'couldn't' just put his pay in his bank account. First year of living together he would give me wads of cash every few weeks that I would take to the bank and put in my account. My bank was half an hour away and it was a massive pain. I set up a joint account in a bank near his work, and then he would put money in there (thank goodness) and later got a different job that puts his pay in the bank. My pay goes into same joint account. I don't have a seperate account, he does, but I put rent into that to keep it seperate as I tend to set it aside super early. The credit card is in his name as he earns more as I only work part time. He is perfectly happy for me to organise all the bills, all he has to pay is his phone bill. It's a lot easier than it used to be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have joint accounts - one for everyday spending and another for bills.

We both have access but I pay everything as it stresses him out and I'm more organized.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Joint accounts. Transaction for living expenses and another account for DP's business expenses (I have access to that too). Plus our joint mortgage.

When I was working we had separate accounts, but since buying a farm together and me stopping work due to DD's cancer it was just easier to consolidate everything.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    We each have our own accounts which our own pay goes in to. Whoever happens to get the mail pays the bills or whoever set the service up gets it direct debited from their account. If one of us is running low on money we ask the other to transfer some money across. It's pretty casual.
    Exactly this.
    We do have a couple of joint accounts that we chuck money into for bills etc so instead of having to ask the other for money we will just transfer from those accounts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a joint account and I used to take care of all the finances but I'm a saver and DH is a spender and I was struggling to get him on board with the budgets so last year I gave it over to him, it was a big eye opener and a great growing exercise for both of us, I just had to trust he was doing his best and he had to learn home finances 101.
    He did well tho and now we share the load we've agreed this year I will pay the day to day bills coz he's forgetful and he will do the long term planning (stuff like saving for holidays and investments)
    Once a month we have a meeting and go over the month's ins and outs and plan accordingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I look after all our finances. I'm an analyst with an addiction to spreadsheets, so I have a 12 month detailed budget spreadsheet that we follow for everything. We have a joint account and DH has a separate account because he's too lazy to get work to change his pay. I just transfer all his money to our joint acc on pay day, minus his allocated fortnightly spending money. DH has no idea about our finances, even though I'm constantly trying to get him more involved. He won't even tell me his ATM card PIN number, but gets me to do his internet banking from that same account lol