+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We each have our own accounts which our own pay goes in to. Whoever happens to get the mail pays the bills or whoever set the service up gets it direct debited from their account. If one of us is running low on money we ask the other to transfer some money across. It's pretty casual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Just wanted to send you a huge hug. It's one thing to hand over the responsibility of the finances to your partner but another thing entirely to be totally denied access to any of that information. I'm sure you do not make your decision lightly, and I hope that starting fresh brings you the opportunity to spread your wings and enjoy your life.
    Thank you so much. Really appreciate it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh transfers a set amount to me each fortnight to cover the mortgage, petrol, shopping, my phone/car insurance and my spending money. He pays all the other bills as needed as well as transferring the kids money (they each have a 'spending' account for things like clothes, nappies, activities etc as well as a long term savings account). A couple of times a year we review how much extra he has and put it onto the mortgage

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am minister of finance and nothing gets paid unless I pay it (cause DH just wouldn't!).

Our wages go into a joint account, our mortgage gets transferred to the other bank once a fortnight, health insurance and after care are direct debits, everything else I BPay.

We each have our own separate accounts that are our emergency funds if something ever happened of any kind.

I'm a saver and DH is a spender so I drive him nuts hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My H pays it all and controls it all. I have no acres to the credit card or know about our joint acct. he doesn't let me know anything about our finances. I've asked and asked but he refuses to tell me. I go to the shops or to get petrol and pray there's enough in the acct. I'm now working 2 days a week and my pay goes into my acct and I use it for my personal things like hair, nails clothes and my ph bill .

I am aiming to leave hubby in next month or 2
    This is a really hard spot to be in, my mum did it for years and years. I feel for you I hope if you do get out, you'll have some freedom in more ways than one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One joint account plus a joint savings account. Everything goes in and out the same account. I keep an eye on it mostly. D H doesn't have much to do with it, most things are direct debited anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Offset account against mortgage, plus credit card, which we pay at the end of every cycle so we get the maximum benefits of the offset.
    DP takes care of the bills and most expenses and I have access to the accounts whenever I want a look. He updates me on where our mortgage is and shows me when I feel like seeing the numbers. We discuss personal expenses to make sure we both know what the other is spending. And any large purchases are decided on together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm the CFO mainly because I have more time during the day to manage everything. plus I'm a bean counter so it just goes with the territory 😂

both our pays go into our joint offset and we pay the home loan, car loan etc from there (direct debit). dh has $700 each fortnight go off to a ubank account of his as "savings" for bills. when a bill arrives, I set it up for payment on the credit card (we've got a premium rewards card and basically live off the cc to accrue max points each month then the balance is paid in full each month) and tell dh how much I need from his ubank account to put the money into the cc for it.

everything is budgeted for and accounted for but we aren't super anal about it. like if I want to go get a facial or go shopping and buy some clothes, I don't need "permission". larger purchased are obviously discussed and agreed upon together.

our offset is obviously working to reduce our mortgage interest but it's also our "running account" and savings. the balance obviously moves around a lot but as long as it's kept at an overall steady amount, we're happy. it means we're not going backwards.

we also have a portfolio of shares in each of our names. this is also basically back up emergency funds should anything dire happen. like if we were desperate for the money, we would sell the shares. but that's a total last resort. actually we forget the funds are there which is great lol, forced savings without noticing 😂

pretty happy with our set up but I know it works because we are on the same page financially and neither of us is a shocking spender or penny pincher. we've got very similar attitudes and approaches to our money and are both very financially literate. dh previously had no investing knowledge but I've got him interested in shares so he takes an active interest in the market now too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    This is a really hard spot to be in, my mum did it for years and years. I feel for you I hope if you do get out, you'll have some freedom in more ways than one.
    I hope I get out to. I just hope my depression doesn't stop me. Right now I'm trying to manage a DS who is an adult and his mental health issues plus my own. It's stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    We each have our own accounts which our own pay goes in to. Whoever happens to get the mail pays the bills or whoever set the service up gets it direct debited from their account. If one of us is running low on money we ask the other to transfer some money across. It's pretty casual.
    This is pretty much how we do it. Hubby pays the mortgage (as its under his name), I pay for all the other household bills. If I need some cash he gives me some. Works pretty well for us.