+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you handle your money?

I'm interested in how you handle the money in your household?

I remember (back in the day) my Dad coming home every Thursday with his pay and handing all of it over to Mum, bar $50 which he kept out for fuel and incidentals. She paid the bills and kept track of everything.

My DH works full time and I work part time. We have our own separate bank accounts, but I have access to DH's account. Each fortnight I go into his account and take out everything except for our rent, our car repayment and his Child Support money.

I collect and open all the mail, pay the bills as they fall due, and budget our money based on anticipated expenses.

So how does the money work in your home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Joint account, bills are all on direct debit. DH is a numbers man and keeps a spreadsheet budget. We take out money for whatever we want but discuss big purchases ($200+). He's like the CFO of the household and I manage the rest. Which I guess makes me the operational manager 😆

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have handed over all finances to DH. I get money for fuel and personal expenses, I also have my own personal emergency fund. DH pays everything I just transfer most of my wage to the off set then he takes care of it. He shows me the budget every fortnight and asks if there is anything I need or the kids need for next fortnight.
    At the end of last year I was doing everything and almost had a breakdown. Between fulltime work and uni plus kids I just couldn't take on any more responsibility in the household. Him taking over has been such a huge relief. We also set financial goals for the year and he is much better then me at making sure we reach them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one loan account, that's it. I do all of the finances. Every single bit. DH has no interest or care factor about any of it. He rarely spends money on himself so there's no issue there. Even though I keep him regularly updated if you asked him right now where our mortgage is at he'd probably have no idea. Doesn't bother me as I'm a control freak. He needed to marry a control freak! With some things he's so laid back he's comatose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it all. He doesn't even know where any money goes and that's his preference, I've tried to tell him before!!

Although we did sit down yesterday and he asked me to write up a document for him with all the loan numbers, insurance etc and a list of where to find our passports/birth/marriage certificates. We recently had a friend die and he was left not knowing anything, made it so much more stressful for him especially as she wasn't very organised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My H pays it all and controls it all. I have no acres to the credit card or know about our joint acct. he doesn't let me know anything about our finances. I've asked and asked but he refuses to tell me. I go to the shops or to get petrol and pray there's enough in the acct. I'm now working 2 days a week and my pay goes into my acct and I use it for my personal things like hair, nails clothes and my ph bill .

I am aiming to leave hubby in next month or 2

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-02-2016),AngelicHobgoblin  (09-02-2016),Isabellabean  (10-02-2016),Kimmmm  (09-02-2016),Sunnybambino  (09-02-2016),sunnyflower  (09-02-2016),SuperGranny  (12-02-2016),~Marigold~  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a joint account which offsets the mortgage. Both our pay goes in there. I manage all household finances. I have a very detailed budget (even a random bottle of water purchase goes in there!) with a spreadsheet that is updated weekly and emailed fortnightly to DH. We have a set amount of personal spending money each week ($50) to do whatever we want without consultation.

DH would not have a clue how much is in the account, he'll txt me to ask if he has any spending money left! He doesn't know when bills are due or how much they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In hubbys words 'he makes the money so I can spend it'
    As long as he has enough money for beer, he is more than happy for me to do everything.
    We have one joint account with sub accounts.
    Our wages go into a non card accessible account and I transfer money into cards as needed.
    If he needs to get anything while out he rings and asks if there is any money in the 'spending' account and if not I'll transfer some over.
    As long as he doesn't get any overdue bills in the mail he's more than happy for me to handle it all.
    Works for me as I know he'll never spend money on unnecessary things as he never knows how much money is in the account hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Joint account and I write up the budget every month. DH has a week to let me know of any incidentals I need to include otherwise he misses out as the budget is pretty strict. DH wouldn't have any idea how much money is in the account at any given time and will generally take out his 'incidental' money the next morning and leave the rest to me. He's got it easy I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My H pays it all and controls it all. I have no acres to the credit card or know about our joint acct. he doesn't let me know anything about our finances. I've asked and asked but he refuses to tell me. I go to the shops or to get petrol and pray there's enough in the acct. I'm now working 2 days a week and my pay goes into my acct and I use it for my personal things like hair, nails clothes and my ph bill .

I am aiming to leave hubby in next month or 2

Just wanted to send you a huge hug. It's one thing to hand over the responsibility of the finances to your partner but another thing entirely to be totally denied access to any of that information. I'm sure you do not make your decision lightly, and I hope that starting fresh brings you the opportunity to spread your wings and enjoy your life.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (09-02-2016),binnielici  (09-02-2016),Kimmmm  (09-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (09-02-2016),sunnyflower  (09-02-2016),SuperGranny  (12-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-02-2016),~Marigold~  (09-02-2016)