+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    Speech pathology. I wanted to, was talked out of it and did international relations, followed by teaching.

For the past few years I've been seriously considering doing speech path again.
    CSU have a distance speech path degree, it's part-time and you can do it over 3 or 4 years 😉

2. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

moto  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did a bachelor of science, environmental management and ecology then a grad dip ed and I'm now a teacher. I mostly love my job, but I reckon I would have made a great doctor. So no real regrets, but if I had my time over, I'd seriously consider medicine instead of my bsc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    CSU have a distance speech path degree, it's part-time and you can do it over 3 or 4 years 😉
    Thanks lovely. That's the one, but luckily I'm 30 mins from CSU so can do the masters in 18 months. Just need to do the pre-req subjects... if only I didn't keep having babies! 😜

I'm going to look at it for entry this time next year, doing the pre reqs after this baby is born in June.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's hard to say I would have done something different as the world was very different 20 years ago when I first went to uni.., I think I made the best decision at the time (design). However, knowing what I know now, I would have gone down a different path. Probably something medical that's in demand, pays well and allows me to work where I want! My DH is always telling me I should have studied nutrition or human biology as I have a great deal of general knowledge and interest in the area.

Funnily enough I am back at uni (be it part time) studying teaching in the form of a grad dip. I'm still not convinced it's the right path for me, just taking one semester at a time. I don't have the luxury for going back and doing a 3/4 year full time degree so teaching was the easiest from a time point of view.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind my degree (pharmacy) but I think I would have been passionate about environmental health. I may still go back and do it. I personally think with the plethora of external courses and flexibility of them, further study is very accessible. The debt on the other hand... 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have done medicine. I always wanted to be a Dr since I was old enough to know what it meant, always wanted Dr kits off santa, but my mum was not at all supportive or encouraging of education and I was not really in the environment to be that self-driven at 16/17 LOL ( left home at 16). I recently looked into again as being a nurse it is only 4 years but entry is largely dependent on your average marks in your under-grad degree and I was in a sole-destroying relationship all through uni and only managed to just pass, so short of doing another degree, getting all HD's , then passing GAMSAT and the interview , it is something I will never achieve. I really do thing that was what I was meant to do - I make a pretty good nurse though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't decide. I started with psych, and it still interests me. I just didn't like the way it was taught. I then did teaching - love teaching but really dislike the politics. I wish it was more about the kids for a lot of teachers. I ended up leaving partly because of that. I'm considering OT (paediatric or psych focus), or library information systems. I am somewhat against accruing an even larger debt though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    Thanks lovely. That's the one, but luckily I'm 30 mins from CSU so can do the masters in 18 months. Just need to do the pre-req subjects... if only I didn't keep having babies! 😜

I'm going to look at it for entry this time next year, doing the pre reqs after this baby is born in June.
    Ah, you're all over it 😀. I'm doing the pre reqs this year too, about to start the linguistics subject this semester. I'm looking at starting next year too if I get in.
    18 months would be fantastic! You're very fortunate to live so close to a uni that offers speech path, you could be wrapped up and practicing this time in 2 years!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

moto  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've done teaching... Which I love... But I really think I'm suited to psychology. I'm thinking of studying it anyway as I'm just teaching part time at the moment. After this thread I'm going to go research it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm. Maybe medicine, radiography/sonography, midwifery, forensic science, history or dance. Bit of a mixed bag there!