+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post

It's pretty rough that we're expected to make such important, life altering decisions when we're only 17/18!
    Which is why I didn't start Uni until I was 27

This thread isn't really for me, given my above statement, but I did a TAFE Bar and Gaming Cert. III and worked in pubs until I stopped to have children. I've been a SAHM since 2006, when in 2012 I had an epiphany and finally decided what I wanted to do when I grew up, so applied for Uni and started studying in 2013 - I've now only got 2 more years until I graduate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I deferred my Bach of Justice degree ten years ago as a yr 12 graduate as a pathway to Bach of Laws, and worked admin jobs until 2014 when I went on leave to have my second child.. I did a cert IV in accounting but wasn't for me. I'm about to start my Bachelor of Laws. Only one subject this sem but I'm excited 🎉

Also kind of annoyed because it's what I wanted to do ten years ago - I've gone full circle! For those saying it's too late - unless you're about to retire I totally don't think it's too late!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I studied international studies, majoring in French and Gender and cultural studies. Very interesting but totally useless to me so far. I'm currently studying education which I should've done from the get go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Spin off* What should you have studied?

Quote Originally Posted by basilmint View Post
    Totally hear you! I feel exactly the same. Qualified 16 years ago but went on maternity leave four years ago and haven't gone back. Can't stand it. I was so over the whinging demands of patients that left no time to deal with the real stuff. The hours. The overtime. The lack of breaks. The physical exhaustion. The anxiety of wondering if I'd gotten everything done. If I reported everything. If I was going to be called in early or asked to stay and do a double blah blah blah.

Like you I loved helping people, and I loved the interesting cases and outcomes, but the actual day to day job was horrible.

Let me know if you come up with a solution!!
    NOT what I wanted to hear, lol! I'm considering going into nursing as a career change at 38! I currently do industrial relations work.
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 09-02-2016 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a Bachelor of Business straight out of school but I have always wished I had done teaching. From time to time I think about going back but life seems to keep getting in the way 😬

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    This thread makes me a little nervous as I still don't what path to take myself.

I wanted to do midwifery since having my son. But after some people told me that I may not be able to handle some of it, I was afraid of going into it and wasting money.
    Edit - I also looked into Maternal Child Health Nurse, and I need to be a registered nurse or midwife to apply for the entry for the MCHN course.

I also wanted for a time to become a Councillor or something. I like listening to people and help where I can. Not sure if that's just studying Psychiatry or something.

I honestly don't know what I want to do. Been asking myself this since I dropped out of high school.
    I'm the same. I've never known what I wanted to do with my life, or had any real passions, and now I'm in my early 40s, I'm running out of time. I wouldn't mind working for a professional sporting team of some sort, but as what, or what I'd need to study to get there, I have no idea.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *Spin off* What should you have studied?

I really struggled with schooling. The whole time. I flourished in exams, it wasn't about the actual work that was done. I didn't have the patience or attention span to sit in a class room. I can't even read a book cover to cover. So university study was never an option for me. I tried getting my bachelors to become a teacher a few years back but I never wanted to be a teacher so it felt like it was just busy work (my parents pushed me into it). I dropped out pretty quickly. I think if I had of been able to handle the structure of school and Uni, I would have followed a path down the route to becoming a doctor (surgeon). That was always my go-to as a child and I do have quite a few regrets about not doing something big with my life like that. But it probably wouldn't have been a great job for me to facilitate the family life I have now (and love). Same goes for I applied to go into the military as an air traffic controller, got into the course and even offered a fast track into it (offered placement into the immediate course not into the one starting 7 months later like I had applied for) which I ended up turning down. Again, some regret but also wouldn't have been as great with my family life as I have now.
    My other interest in life has been various forms of art/design based jobs. I wanted to do photography at school but was told by my mother it wasn't a real job. She had me doing commerce and similar related courses. I cannot stand it. She had me working at her book keeping company on and off for years and I would go stir crazy in my chair after an hour or two. I have never needed as many toilet breaks, as what I needed in that job. Other deign based jobs I have considered over the years are marketing (which I briefly worked in and loved but was made redundant when we lost a huge client), landscape design, interior design, architecture etc.
    We have a call for childcare qualified people in my small town so I suggested to my husband that I should study that. I'm decent with kids, would get work quick and the hours would suit perfectly but he basically said that in no uncertain terms should I be starting yet another course for something I don't want to do. I should be doing something for me. My mother pushed me around enough growing up so I should pick something I want to do finally. So I have enrolled to do my Cert 3 in horticulture. I plan to knock that out the way so I can start My diploma of Landscape design and maybe even work my way up to Landscape Architect. How this fits in with my life plan, I don't know. But I get to study something for me. A job that gets me on my feet and not behind a desk. I'm happy.

(I opened this thinking I won't have anything to contribute and now you all can't shut me up haha).
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 09-02-2016 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    NOT what I wanted to hear, lol! I'm considering going into nursing as a career change at 38! I currently do industrial relations work.
    Just because we hate it doesn't mean you will! We are all different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    I agree with sunnyflower, everyone is different, and clearly there are people that love it. I found I carried home a lot of the stress as I couldn't leave it behind. Also felt that I couldn't say no to extra shifts/shift changes as it was such a team environment and I didn't want to let anyone down. Add that to lots of weekend work and nights shifts which made me a cranky person.

Hopefully you find an area of it you love as the variety is definitely a positive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did 3 years of a medicine degree. Only picked it bc I got the marks and so many people told me I should.
    Left in 4th year and changed to a commerce degree (accounting and finance). I can't complain about my current job. I don't mind the work, the environment is great, flexible hours and pretty stress free.
    If I could do it all again though I would have gone to tafe to do some sort of trade. I really like making things and using my hands.

I think the workplace makes a big difference though. I had an accounting job at a workplace I really detested and I was so miserable at work. Now I am in the same field of work but a much better organization and am so much happier.