+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *Spin off* What should you have studied?

Since I was curious but didn't want to derail CleverClog's thread, a few people (myself included) said they wish they could go back and do a different course at uni.

So those with regrets, what did you study? Or what career did you pursue that you wish you hadn't? (to be more inclusive of non-uni students too)
    And what should you have done instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I studied accounting/business. I should have studied either midwifery or vet science. Worlds apart, and every day I feel like I'm in the wrong career.

Our situation is such that returning to study is not within our means. And I think it's kind of too late to change now anyway. I guess you don't always get what you want in life....

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Forensics or psychology or law. Still kicking myself that I chose friendship over what I really wanted to study initially...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wish I had of studied midwifery (and done the subjects in highschool for it) instead of picking psychology as a last minute choice.

My plan is now to work as a doula until the kids are older and then go to uni and do midwifery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh I can answer my own question too - I did science (chem/psych) which seems pretty useless given the current state of science in Australia. Currently avoiding the lack of employment by doing post-grad. During which I discovered how fun and easy programming is, so really wish I'd known this 8 years ago and done a combined IT degree.

It's pretty rough that we're expected to make such important, life altering decisions when we're only 17/18!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-02-2016),Blossom74  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should have stuck with the degree I got into (applied science) and become a physio. It's my dream job now but out of reach. I switched to a business/arts degree which ended up getting me a good job but I was never passionate about it. I didn't know what career path I could have had doing applied science and I wish the uni had counseled me before I switched (ETA: I didn't know I could have used the credits to get into a physio degree).

I'm about to start studying again in a few weeks; nursing, which I think I'll really enjoy.
    Last edited by Moxy; 09-02-2016 at 09:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a combined psychology/law degree. Did not ever practice psych and wish I hadn't bothered with law. Even though initially it was something I felt quite passionate about and was certainly good money. The hours and stress wore me down and I began to recognise it was not a very family friendly profession - for me anyway. Now I feel trapped don't want to go back to it full time but feel if I don't I will have wasted a big chunk of my life!

As for what I should have done. Taken time off after school to work out what I really wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Midwifery BEFORE I had a child!! I had to stop studying it as it was too hard to manage care for DD whilst being available for that course. I have a BA which I don't use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Law, I have always regretted not doing it and can't justify the expense now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I studied accounting/business. I should have studied either midwifery or vet science. Worlds apart, and every day I feel like I'm in the wrong career.

Our situation is such that returning to study is not within our means. And I think it's kind of too late to change now anyway. I guess you don't always get what you want in life....
    I actually did 2 degrees. first one was a rather useless (well to my current life anyway) arts degree, specializing in design. I finished that, started honors then realised it's not really where I wanted to be heading. I think I was just over it.

when back and did a commerce degree, accounting & business law major. currently working as an accountant (in tax).

is it what I thought I'd end up doing? maybe, maybe not.

is it exciting? certainly not.

but the pay is good, I'm at a firm with a very flexible boss and there's virtually zero stress. after almost total burn out at my last job, this is very welcome.

same as you @Blossom74, further study now is not practical nor would make economical sense. I'm still paying off my hecs debt from the stupid arts degree that I have not seen one ounce of value from.

it is what it is. I do like the skills and knowledge that accounting give you, I feel confident discussing business matters and it's enabled me to set up my own little side business that I run myself.

ideally I'd love to do something either a bit more creative, or work in the medical field.

my best bet now is probably to leave public practice/tax compliance and find a finance type role within a creative agency. at least I'd be in s creative environment with cool creative types.