+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Rental car companies always have cheap car seats. If you actually went shopping for one you would see there are much better options than in Australia, particularly because there are plenty of extended rear-facing options.
    We did. We drove straight to Mothercare and bought a Britax. It was OK but prefer mine in Oz.. Sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    And before someone says "you can't do a RCT on seat-belts either, why should that be the rule"...some things don't need scientific proof, just basic knowledge of Physics. We are not debating seatbelts in children, but the type thereof.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's exactly it though. It is basic biology that a spinal cord that has not ossified will be more susceptible to injury, and basic physics that the load placed on a child's neck in a forward facing seat in a crash is going to be significantly more than when rear facing.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),just her chameleon  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Most height marker seats that have been around since 2012 will rear face a large 12mth old. In fact an A2 seat will say on the box Rear Facing til 12 months. My now 4yr old was rear faced til 18months in his 2012 seat and a lot of people get to 2-3yrs in a Infa Neon from BigW that is often on sale for $139 and it it a standard A2 seat. A lot of the time you don't need a specific A4 seat to continue past 6 months just use the seat to the manufacturers recommendations and not view 6mths as a "milestone" to turn before a child's shoulders reaches the RF height marker.
    I just reluctantly turned our 21 month old FF. I'm pretty happy she's stayed RF this long tbh. That's in a safe n sound meridian. I can't afford to go out and buy another $400+ seat for extended RF unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had always planned on getting a RF seat from England or Europe if there weren't any decent ones available in Aus when I have kids. That being said, I'm one of the ones who CAN afford to just buy a new seat when they outgrow, not many can afford to even buy one.

Where I live the cops struggle to educate locals to have kids in a seat at all! Many are on laps from birth even in the front seat, so they scream non stop when they are strapped in. I've had kids scream constantly for almost 2 hours of a 4 hour drive, until they passed out exhausted. Personally I don't understand why people who have kids of their own cant tune it out. I don't have kids yet and I just turn the music up a bit so I can still hear it over their screaming, and ignore them lol they aren't hungry or uncomfortable, it's a temper tantrum simple as that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckyChook View Post
    I had always planned on getting a RF seat from England or Europe if there weren't any decent ones available in Aus when I have kids. That being said, I'm one of the ones who CAN afford to just buy a new seat when they outgrow, not many can afford to even buy one.

Where I live the cops struggle to educate locals to have kids in a seat at all! Many are on laps from birth even in the front seat, so they scream non stop when they are strapped in. I've had kids scream constantly for almost 2 hours of a 4 hour drive, until they passed out exhausted. Personally I don't understand why people who have kids of their own cant tune it out. I don't have kids yet and I just turn the music up a bit so I can still hear it over their screaming, and ignore them lol they aren't hungry or uncomfortable, it's a temper tantrum simple as that.
    My friend did this a few years ago. She got a seat from Sweden that would ERF for 5 years. She knew it was technically illegal but she also knew her baby would be safer in that than being turned at 6 months. We are lucky that seats in Australia are finally catching up to Europe and the U.S.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    That's exactly it though. It is basic biology that a spinal cord that has not ossified will be more susceptible to injury, and basic physics that the load placed on a child's neck in a forward facing seat in a crash is going to be significantly more than when rear facing.
    Absolutely. But that's not what's in question here. It's the AGE at which turning a child becomes an acceptable risk.

(The spinal cord itself does not ossify. I think you meant to write the bony spine/vertebrae.)

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't want to be rude but as far as people being unable to tune their own kids out - you may change your views once your own child is born.

Oh and DS2 wasn't chucking a temper tantrum at 2 weeks old. He was so distressed he was vommitting.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (10-02-2016),BettyW  (10-02-2016),gingermillie  (10-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (10-02-2016),sarahjane914  (10-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2016),Sonja  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I don't want to be rude but as far as people being unable to tune their own kids out - you may change your views once your own child is born.

Oh and DS2 wasn't chucking a temper tantrum at 2 weeks old. He was so distressed he was vommitting.
    Yep. Young children cry because they are upset by something. They aren't crying because they can't get their own way. There are days I can't even concentrate to make a phone call at home because my kids are screaming. If they were behaving like that in the car I would be very distracted and at risk of an accident. I have so much sympathy for people who want to rf longer but can't because it isn't safe for them to be that distracted by their child.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-02-2016),binnielici  (10-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure why there is even a debate on this. But anyhow.

http://www.defence.gov.au/health/inf...8_2_76-81.html

This is from the Australian defence department. It has nothing to do with child seats or even cars. It is to do with rear or foreword facing seats in aircraft. But what it does explain is why even in adults rear facing when subjected to extreme stopping motion is preferable.

I think you will find in the future driverless cars will come with all rear facing seating but then again crashes will no longer occur so maybe not.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINIRoo For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I never knew newborn babies threw temper tantrums. Thanks for that expert bit of info.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (10-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (10-02-2016),BettyW  (10-02-2016),binnielici  (10-02-2016),just her chameleon  (10-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (10-02-2016),RobinSparkles  (10-02-2016),sarahjane914  (10-02-2016)