+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Read the other petition I posted then.

You say you want studies but then disregard any posted and compare it to the anti-vax movement even though it's really just biology and physics like somebody mentioned. Australia has issued statements regarding it, the laws just haven't caught up to it. I don't really get why you commented when you're actually not interested in learning about why it's a law in other western nations. I'm just going to leave you to it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Read the other petition I posted then.

You say you want studies but then disregard any posted and compare it to the anti-vax movement even though it's really just biology and physics like somebody mentioned. Australia has issued statements regarding it, the laws just haven't caught up to it. I don't really get why you commented when you're actually not interested in learning about why it's a law in other western nations. I'm just going to leave you to it.
    this is what anti- Vaxers claim. 'But you didn't read my study'. Just because a study was posted doesn't mean it is relevant or should be read. For myself to be convinced I need scientific based studies from a reputable source that specifically mention Australia and say that rear facing until 4 is recommended even in light of Australia's differences in regulations (from the US, UK etc). Not saying that to be a spoilt brat - just trying to explain personally what I need in order to be convinced. And it's not all up to others to spoon feed me - the onus is on myself to research the topic too (exception - if someone wants me to sign a petition then the onus if on them to outline their arguments in that petition). In threads I look at the link (country designator and organisation and make a call whether there's a high likelihood it will meet my needs - if not it may have to wait until the weekend (plan to open some of your links on the weekend - just don't have the time now). Or I might decide a link isn't worth opening if it's from a biased source.

Why did I originally comment? I was concerned the petition was poorly constructed and wanted to flag that to people for consideration before signing it. When society automatically signs things without question that's when we end up with ridiculous outcomes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Here is a different petition some may be happier signing. From it I gather that extended rearfacing seats have been available since 2013.

https://www.change.org/p/keep-austra...-months-of-age

Www.rearfacingdownunder.com
    Just opened this petition and it is an opinion piece still. Not saying it's not correct however it doesn't mention (that I could see - happy to be corrected) any relevant scientific study to back their claim. It assumes the reader has already done their homework.

As for the rear facing down under link I am not a fan of that site. It could have changed however last time I was on it I found it to be a rather militants site.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-02-2016 at 05:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    But there is a study linked...and I have posted a couple links as well but happy to steer you towards more.

I find your attitude equivalent to the anti-vax movement.

Eta: here's a study link. http://m.injuryprevention.bmj.com/co...6/398.abstract
    Read this one it was short which was great however it relates to kids under 3 in the US and does not emotion Australia at all/say whether differences in current Aus/US standards change the assessment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. I know I have posted here once in support of a PP and advised I turned DS at 8ish months.

Despite that, I agree with the petition. And I know the studies are legit and right.

At the time I was FTM who was exhausted and my baby screamed until he was sick despite me doing everything. But I am determined to do better this time.
    @VicPark sorry but you sound a little ridiculous. There is nothing similar at all with this and the anti vax movement. How is something that is pro safety the same as something that is anti safety.

I could say more but you will not listen so I will stop here.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2016),Wise Enough  (12-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In all honesty vp, I can't be bothered discussing this with somebody who is taking a legitimate safety cause and comparing it to an anti-vaxers argument. Really? Do you honestly think Australia's seats are so superior to the rest of the world's that it voids any other countries studies/conclusions/laws on what they have found about rear facing a child?

www.rearfacingdownunder.com is an Australian site.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    sorry but you sound a little ridiculous. There is nothing similar at all with this and the anti vax movement. How is something that is pro safety the same as something that is anti safety.
    Come on - it is the methodology that I think is similar NOT necessarily the credibility. The passing of links for articles and studies which may or may not be directly relevant to the specific case at hand. The use of articles and studies in one area being used to make a connection and push an agenda in another area. The expectation of blind faith without having to dot the I's and cross the T's. I'm surprised you can't see that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

www.rearfacingdownunder.com is an Australian site.
    I know. That doesn't necessarily give it more credibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Ok. I know I have posted here once in support of a PP and advised I turned DS at 8ish months.

Despite that, I agree with the petition. And I know the studies are legit and right.

At the time I was FTM who was exhausted and my baby screamed until he was sick despite me doing everything. But I am determined to do better this time.
    @VicPark sorry but you sound a little ridiculous. There is nothing similar at all with this and the anti vax movement. How is something that is pro safety the same as something that is anti safety.

I could say more but you will not listen so I will stop here.
    I totally get this. I don't think anybody should feel defensive about having turned their child in the past, if you don't know you don't know, ya know? It's a bit like the SIDS sleep to back campaign and people with older children feeling guilty about sleeping their children on their tummies. The info wasn't there for them then but it is there for us now so you use it.

I knew the U.K. was changing its regulations and DS fit in his capsule until 15 months, when the change happened, so I never saw the point in buying a forward facing seat when I knew I wasn't going to be able to use it for a long period of time and that it would definitely be a no no by the time our second child used it.

It is effing stressful when they are crying though, especially when you're exhausted as well.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 05:49.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It is the methodology that I think is similar. The passing of links for articles and studies which may or may not be directly relevant to the specific case at hand. The use of articles and studies in one area being used to make a connection and push an agenda in another area. The expectation of blind faith without having to dot the I's and cross the T's. I'm surprised you can't see that.
    Really? The same gets done for pro vax and many other causes.

Just because Aus cannot/does not want to fund a study to affects of rear vs forward facing does not make any of the other countries studies wrong, redundant or ridiculous.

There is not an expectation of blind faith at all.

If you do not agree, then move on and do not sign.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),just her chameleon  (10-02-2016)