+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So is it in fact true that extended rear facing seats have only been available in Australia since 2015?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I think the biggest problem with changing the law is how likely people will be able to comply. Many families but a seat for the first child, and use it for subsequent children. Once the child reaches the height marker they will turn. Some People don't want to buy a new seat if they have a large child, and they have already invested in their current seats. The extended rear facing seats have only been on the market since last year. They aren't on the secondhand market yet. It's likely more people will rear face longer with the new seats on the market, but to force people to buy new seats which will fluctuate in price is going to upset and anger people. Maybe start a petition that the government could fund an education campaign
    When laws like this are put in place they don't happen overnight, governments usually give 2-3 years to give people a chance to get educated and comply, allow the car seats on the market to comply and increase for demand, etc. the U.K. Implemented this last year and are only quietly enforcing it until 2018 when they then expect all seats and people to comply.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 00:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Apologies. I stand corrected. As a Brit also tho I was shocked at how rubbish the car seats were.. Much prefer the safety here. The capsule didn't even have a base there! 😦
    Rental car companies always have cheap car seats. If you actually went shopping for one you would see there are much better options than in Australia, particularly because there are plenty of extended rear-facing options.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Rental car companies always have cheap car seats. If you actually went shopping for one you would see there are much better options than in Australia, particularly because there are plenty of extended rear-facing options.
    Is that particularly fair if 1 extended rear facing seats weren't available until last year and 2 they have only recently changed the law in the UK anyway?

Holly I get your passionate about this but if this is relatively new in Australia give people time to wrap their heads around it. I've personally never seen a child over 9 months rear facing and I live in babyland. Maybe give it a year or 2 and it might be more prevalent and become more the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Is that particularly fair if 1 extended rear facing seats weren't available until last year and 2 they have only recently changed the law in the UK anyway?

Holly I get your passionate about this but if this is relatively new in Australia give people time to wrap their heads around it. I've personally never seen a child over 9 months rear facing and I live in babyland. Maybe give it a year or 2 and it might be more prevalent and become more the norm.
    ?? I'm not allowed to respond because the UK only recently changed the law? I'm also from another country that has the laws and many EU countries have had it for years...

I just wouldn't compare the quality of a rental car company car seat, in any country, to what to expect regularly from that country. And having been a nanny for almost 10 years in oz I've seen my fair share of car seats...

I'm genuinely surprised that this has even turned into any type of debate. Nobody is saying you have to go out and buy the most expensive ERF car seat tomorrow, a petition was posted to try to get the ball rolling to elicit change and there are random responses as to why it won't work in Australia or not enough scientific proof, etc. What makes Australia different than the rest of the world in making them incapable of educating their citizens, changing the laws, and creating a market for ERF car seats?

Eta: regardless of when the law came into place here, I know many people who have stayed rear facing here, probably due to knowing the EU's guidelines.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 01:30.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Here is a different petition some may be happier signing. From it I gather that extended rearfacing seats have been available since 2013.

https://www.change.org/p/keep-austra...-months-of-age

Www.rearfacingdownunder.com
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 01:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    HG you should join the Facebook group 'child restraints: is your child restrained correctly?' If you haven't already. It's a great group which promotes ERF. Most members are up to date or at least trying to update their knowledge on car seat safety and the benefits of ERF. It's also a bit of a support group for newbies. You'll definitely find like minded people there

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    HG you should join the Facebook group 'child restraints: is your child restrained correctly?' If you haven't already. It's a great group which promotes ERF. Most members are up to date or at least trying to update their knowledge on car seat safety and the benefits of ERF. It's also a bit of a support group for newbies. You'll definitely find like minded people there
    😂😂. I actually didn't think I was that passionate about it until this thread, I'm just really surprised that there even seems to be any type of negative argument towards worldwide research.

The Rearfacing Downunder site was actually created in 2010 so it's obviously not that foreign of a concept to some Australians.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 01:08.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (10-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    😂😂. I actually didn't think I was that passionate about it until this thread, I'm just really surprised that there even seems to be any type of negative argument towards worldwide research.
    I totally get it!!! I'm the same. I'm still pregnant and I've already had to debate with family who think I'm odd because I plan on rear facing until 3 or 4 hopefully. I did the research because I wanted my baby to be the safest they could possibly be. No surprise, it led me to extended rear facing. Some people just don't seem to like change.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

But there is a study linked...and I have posted a couple links as well but happy to steer you towards more.

I find your attitude equivalent to the anti-vax movement.

Eta: here's a study link. http://m.injuryprevention.bmj.com/co...6/398.abstract
    Re the study in the petition - I am not going to read through 50 pages of academic wah wah and spend 10 hours trying to analyse it to see if it's relevant to Australia vice the US where the study was completed (yes I did open the study up to start with but have up).
    I stand by my original comments that the petition is a well thought out opinion piece - disappointing I suppose as a properly constructed petition could have gained wider support (from sceptics like myself) and actually had a chance of success as opposed to being a bit chest beating propoganda.

This petition and campaign is just like the anti vax movement - in terms of methodology. You have a movement that is going against current government regulations and instead of people producing a well thought out, relevant, tailored and scientific based point of view ya get spammed with links (from People that have done their own online research) that may or may not be relevant, told to fend for yourself (for the most part) and then people attempt to Shame and strong arm you into just blanketly believing when you start to ask questions. This is why I removed myself from some of the online rear facing advocate groups after only a short period of time.

Thankyou for posting your links however I don't have time to read a bunch of different links to see which ones are reputable and relevant. Not at the moment - maybe at the weekend.

Just to clarify I am not saying this movement/petition isn't based in credibility (unlike the anti vax movement which I believe is 95% BS). Just that the delivery needs a little polishing.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-02-2016 at 05:10.