Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    I really didn't want to start a debate about rear facing vs forward facing. I believe as parents it is our obligation to keep our children as safe as possible. Personally I would like to see our laws rf til minimum 18mths but 12 mths is a start when we are so far behind other countries. Why have the most stringent testing for car restraints and then not have the laws to support them. Anyway all I asked was for people to consider signing, if you don't want to that's fine and your choice. I just felt that this would be a place that members might want to support best practice in child safety because I know we all want the best for our kids.
    Exactly. I've found that people often think Australia must have the safest standards because they have the rule that seats used in Australia have to be tested/approved in Australia which is complete nonsense. Nothing about that rule means Australia's guidelines/laws/recommendations and seats are the safest in the world. It's shocking how far behind OZ.

Signing petitions to change the laws would be the beginning of a public safety campaign and more seats plus more affordable seats coming on the market. You don't bury your head in the sand and say it's too hard or too expensive or not practical.

Car accidents and improper use of carseats are one of the leading causes of death in children. We support vaccination campaigns so why would we have a problem supporting this?

Eta: A rearfacing infant/child is 5x times more likely to survive an accident than a forward facing child. It's a fact. Their spines aren't mature enough to support their heads in the force of an accident. Weight and length has nothing to do with it being safe to turn them, a chubby 6 month old's spine isn't any more mature than a thinner child's.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-02-2016 at 16:37.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-02-2016),DarcyJ  (09-02-2016),MINIRoo  (10-02-2016),nh2489  (09-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What details do you want vp? I find it really odd that you are taking issue with a petition to try and get Australia's safety standards up to par with other nations.

I'm a factual scientific based person and I am not going to sign a petition that is at face value an opinion piece. If it had links to reputable and relevant studies I would feel differently. At the moment there isn't much to differentiate this petition from the same credibility that exists with the anti vax movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What seats on the market available now are ERF? We have a safe n sound meridian and our 21 month old has just about reached the marker to b turned. Pretty happy she's lasted RF this long tho

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What studies do you want to see VP? Australian guidelines are actually pretty lax compared to other western countries. UK they legally have to be rear-facing until 15 months, but recommended until at least two and ideally four years old. Europe was before the UK with the requirement being 15 months. US also recommends to be rear-facing until a minimum two years. There are tons of studies out there proving that rear-facing is safest regardless of Australia's regulations or how safe one thinks their seat is.

Eta: in California, New Jersey and Oklahoma children legally have to be rear-facing until 2. Most other states are all children ride rear-facing whenever possible.

Eta 2: here's a quick article for reference http://www.parenting.com/article/car-seats-safety :

'A 2007 study in the journal Injury Prevention found that children under age two are 75 percent less likely to die or to be severely injured in a crash if they are rear-facing. Another study found riding rear-facing to be five times safer than forward-facing.

“A rear-facing child safety seat does a better job of supporting the head, neck and spine of infants and toddlers in a crash, because it distributes the force of the collision over the entire body,” said Dennis Durbin, M.D., F.A.A.P., a pediatric emergency physician and co-scientific director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphiaand lead author of the policy statement and accompanying technical report.'
    Sorry to but in but this is incorrect. I was in the UK two months ago and a car rental place was going to give me a forward facing car seat for my 6mth old who was too big for the capsule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    What seats on the market available now are ERF? We have a safe n sound meridian and our 21 month old has just about reached the marker to b turned. Pretty happy she's lasted RF this long tho
    Here is a really great guide on the safest seats available at the moment.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1455015501.226584.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Sorry to but in but this is incorrect. I was in the UK two months ago and a car rental place was going to give me a forward facing car seat for my 6mth old who was too big for the capsule.
    It's not incorrect, I actually live in the UK, it came into place last year, but yes they are giving leeway for a bit to accommodate people until 2018 as by then all car seats have to be using isize.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-02-2016 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm a factual scientific based person and I am not going to sign a petition that is at face value an opinion piece. If it had links to reputable and relevant studies I would feel differently. At the moment there isn't much to differentiate this petition from the same credibility that exists with the anti vax movement.
    But there is a study linked...and I have posted a couple links as well but happy to steer you towards more.

I find your attitude equivalent to the anti-vax movement.

Eta: here's a study link. http://m.injuryprevention.bmj.com/co...6/398.abstract
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-02-2016 at 21:44.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-02-2016),atomicmama  (09-02-2016),DarcyJ  (09-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (11-02-2016),just her chameleon  (09-02-2016),MINIRoo  (10-02-2016),nh2489  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Children's spines are not ossified at 6 months. In an accident where a 6 month old child is forward facing, it is much more likely that they will experience severe and fatal injuries as a result of internal decapitation. This is due to the vertebrae in the infant's spine not being 'connected' to put it in layman's terms, in the same way that an adults are. The vertebrae can therefore separate and cause the spinal cord to sever, due to the extreme force presented by the child's head (which is much larger in proportion to his/her body than an adult's) flinging forwards.

These are facts. This is not opinion. It is basic biology and physics. I am also a factual/science type person, which means I am capable of accessing scientific studies of my own accord and finding my own information before I dismiss something. Particularly when that something is my child's chance of living and not being killed or severely disabled.

There is a good study linked in the petition, and plenty of others in this thread.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (09-02-2016),atomicmama  (10-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (11-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-02-2016),MINIRoo  (10-02-2016),nh2489  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not incorrect, I actually live in the UK, it came into place last year, but yes they are giving leeway for a bit to accommodate people until 2018 as by then all car seats have to be using isize.
    Apologies. I stand corrected. As a Brit also tho I was shocked at how rubbish the car seats were.. Much prefer the safety here. The capsule didn't even have a base there! 😦

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the biggest problem with changing the law is how likely people will be able to comply. Many families but a seat for the first child, and use it for subsequent children. Once the child reaches the height marker they will turn. Some People don't want to buy a new seat if they have a large child, and they have already invested in their current seats. The extended rear facing seats have only been on the market since last year. They aren't on the secondhand market yet. It's likely more people will rear face longer with the new seats on the market, but to force people to buy new seats which will fluctuate in price is going to upset and anger people. Maybe start a petition that the government could fund an education campaign