+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    At the same time I think it's worth flagging to people that this particular petition is thin on the details.
    What details do you want vp? I find it really odd that you are taking issue with a petition to try and get Australia's safety standards up to par with other nations.

But anyways...it's bedtime here and like I said, I don't really think this thread should be about debating or people feeling they need to be defensive about when they turned their child. Goodnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but how the feck do you keep a child rearward facing until they're 4!?
    With an extended rear-facing car seat...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The petition details the importance of spinal ossification in determining whether a child is read to forward face. I don't understand why you think that is just opinion. How much more detail do you want? It's a petition, not a research study. The attached study shows ossification occurring at different ages. It stands to reason that when the spine is not ossified the child is more likely to suffer neck injuries, in particular internal decapitation, and basic physics will tell you why that is more likely in a rear-facing seat.

I'm not going to tell anyone to sign the petition if they don't want to but I'm really not sure why you think that the information provided is not good enough.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (11-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-02-2016),MINIRoo  (10-02-2016),Wise Enough  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm totally with rear facing, I was a bit blasé with DS to be honest and turned him around 6ish months but I'll be keeping DD rear facing longer. Just wondering how you get a 3/4yo into a rear facing car seat?
    Loosen the tether each time you take them out them it's easier to get them in and tighten it again after doing up the harness. Much easier then trying to get them under or over the tether strap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really didn't want to start a debate about rear facing vs forward facing. I believe as parents it is our obligation to keep our children as safe as possible. Personally I would like to see our laws rf til minimum 18mths but 12 mths is a start when we are so far behind other countries. Why have the most stringent testing for car restraints and then not have the laws to support them. Anyway all I asked was for people to consider signing, if you don't want to that's fine and your choice. I just felt that this would be a place that members might want to support best practice in child safety because I know we all want the best for our kids.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-02-2016),nh2489  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think leave then rearward as long is its practical for your child. If they really don't like it and you have to turn them around then that's your decision.

Europe has more seats available to extend rear facing. Most of their cars also have had Isofix as standard for years. Most cars in Australia are only just starting to bring Isofix in. So how they harness the seats is a lot different from how we do it here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by two souls View Post
    I think leave then rearward as long is its practical for your child. If they really don't like it and you have to turn them around then that's your decision.

Europe has more seats available to extend rear facing. Most of their cars also have had Isofix as standard for years. Most cars in Australia are only just starting to bring Isofix in. So how they harness the seats is a lot different from how we do it here
    Cars have had ISOFIX here for years, we just didn't have the seats. We also have several extend rear-facing seats (3-4 years rear face time depending on the child). We certainly don't have as much range as Europe but they are becoming much more available in recent years.
    As far as I'm aware, the only thing that is hugely different here is our tethering system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was turned forward facing at 8 months. It wasn't by choice, as she simply outgrew the rear facing option on her seat, and there was no seat with higher option. She is 2.5 now and threatening to outgrow her 0-4 seat. I am also pregnant again. A4 and G seats have only recently been released and in most cases quite pricey. I will buy a G seat to keep her harnessed. The availability of A4 seats isn't high, but their price is. A lot of people struggle financially. I know rear facing is better, but I think it's impractical given the high cost of seats, and how scarce they are. Maybe try again in a few years, and raise some public awareness first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get and A4 seat for $200. The BabyLove EzySwitch EP is often on sale for $199.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Cars have had ISOFIX here for years, we just didn't have the seats. We also have several extend rear-facing seats (3-4 years rear face time depending on the child). We certainly don't have as much range as Europe but they are becoming much more available in recent years.
    As far as I'm aware, the only thing that is hugely different here is our tethering system.
    America uses a tethering system as well.