+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I'm sure no one has an answer to this but just wondering if anyone has kids that suffer from travel sickness and whether the direction made a difference? We've got a seat that can be rear facing up to about age 4 (same one as HG and yep we shouldn't use it here in oz I know) but when my ds1 was 18 months he started getting car sickness. It's pretty bad in that it usually happens within about 10 mins. Initially we kept him rear facing as I read it didn't make a diff but then found if we went away or used a diff forward facing car seat he was fine. So recently we gave in and have started him forward facing (he's over 2 now) but then on Sunday he was sick after a short time again while forward facing. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    My DS was carsick for the first and only time a few weeks ago but it hasn't happened since so no advice. Are you doing a lot of city driving (i.e. Stopping and starting?), the traffic was particularly bad the day he got sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm talking about recommendations that take into account each countries (US, Australia etc) different existing guidelines regarding specific restraints that are currently used (anchoring etc). Unless studies take these differences into account recommendations are a bit like comparing oranges with lemons.
    No it's not. Many studies find the anchor bar in the front of ISOFIX rear facing seats just as good or better than the strap Australia uses in the back. Regardless, the reasons rearfacing is safer doesn't have to do with anchoring, it literally has to do with how the impact of a crash effects a child's body when they are facing a particular way.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-02-2016),atomicmama  (09-02-2016),binnielici  (09-02-2016),DarcyJ  (09-02-2016),Leettieb  (09-02-2016),nh2489  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm totally with rear facing, I was a bit blasé with DS to be honest and turned him around 6ish months but I'll be keeping DD rear facing longer. Just wondering how you get a 3/4yo into a rear facing car seat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm totally with rear facing, I was a bit blasé with DS to be honest and turned him around 6ish months but I'll be keeping DD rear facing longer. Just wondering how you get a 3/4yo into a rear facing car seat?
    Their legs stay in the 'frog' position so is perfectly comfortable ☺️

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

This is a good site @babyla for answering questions ☺️

http://www.rearfacingtoddlers.com

Eta: click on 'carseat info, then faqs and she addresses the legs
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-02-2016 at 06:49.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @nh2489 the site I posted mentions car sickness:

'Travel sickness occurs when your brain receives mixed messages, it has nothing to do with the direction of travel. Your body can feel movement, but because your eyes can only see the car's stationary interior, you feel nauseous. The effect is usually worse if you look down, for example to read a book, and when the car goes around corners or over bumps. Looking out of the window at the horizon can help.
    A child who feels sick rear facing is just as likely to suffer car sickness in a forward facing seat. In a forward facing seat it may actually be worse, because the child has a more restricted view out of the window.'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I know I'll be flamed but all my kids were turned around by 6 months. All screamed continually until they were turned. My risk of having an accident actually reduced once I turned them.
    We turned my daughter around at about 8 months I think. Same reason, even though she's small for her age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't really think this thread needs to or should turn into a debate or a need for parents to feel like they need to defend why they turned forward facing. I think OP was just trying to do something good by posting the petition. It's proven that rear-facing is safer and that Australia is behind in their safety recommendations regarding it. If you're interested in signing the petition then sign it, if not then don't. Ya know?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I don't really think this thread needs to or should turn into a debate or a need for parents to feel like they need to defend why they turned forward facing. I think OP was just trying to do something good by posting the petition. It's proven that rear-facing is safer and that Australia is behind in their safety recommendations regarding it. If you're interested in signing the petition then sign it, if not then don't. Ya know?
    At the same time I think it's worth flagging to people that this particular petition is thin on the details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What studies do you want to see VP? Australian guidelines are actually pretty lax compared to other western countries. UK they legally have to be rear-facing until 15 months, but recommended until at least two and ideally four years old. Europe was before the UK with the requirement being 15 months. US also recommends to be rear-facing until a minimum two years. There are tons of studies out there proving that rear-facing is safest regardless of Australia's regulations or how safe one thinks their seat is.

Eta: in California, New Jersey and Oklahoma children legally have to be rear-facing until 2. Most other states are all children ride rear-facing whenever possible.

Eta 2: here's a quick article for reference http://www.parenting.com/article/car-seats-safety :

'A 2007 study in the journal Injury Prevention found that children under age two are 75 percent less likely to die or to be severely injured in a crash if they are rear-facing. Another study found riding rear-facing to be five times safer than forward-facing.

“A rear-facing child safety seat does a better job of supporting the head, neck and spine of infants and toddlers in a crash, because it distributes the force of the collision over the entire body,” said Dennis Durbin, M.D., F.A.A.P., a pediatric emergency physician and co-scientific director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphiaand lead author of the policy statement and accompanying technical report.'
    I haven't read all the replies but how the feck do you keep a child rearward facing until they're 4!?