+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

On a side note, when I was googling tethers and leg stabilizers I found this press release from last year from Britax stating that they will be phasing out tether straps on their convertible and rearfacing seats (there are two different ways, the Swedish way and Australian way) as they become more incompatible with current cars on the market and also because the Australian way is unpopular (in another article I read it stated many ended up not using their rearfacing seat as long as they should because of the annoyance of the Australian tether). This is a US press release but I imagine it is the same for Britax in Europe, hence why our seat doesn't have a tether option.

http://www.town.clarkstown.ny.us/cgi_files/child/77.pdf

Being a nanny in OZ before we bought our seats over here I was really worried about finding one with a tether as I thought it *had to* have one in order to make it safer but I was able to find many links stating it was unnecessary due to the leg stabilizer and rebound bar.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-02-2016 at 18:13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I think that isofix is a little different to majority of other seats currently used in Australia and I'm not talking about that. Not sure if others are using isofix but given the snide "it's not rocket science" comments then maybe people are talking about isofix? I don't have isofix so my seats require a bit more skill to install.

It's very interesting that people are critical of those who are blase about their child restraints but it's ok to be smug to others who are careful and pay to have theirs fitted and say thing like "there's a reason there's a manual " as if people who don't feel confident doing it themselves are stupid.

It goes both ways. I asked a genuine question about people having their restraint fitted by an approved installer because I am the only person I know who goes to have it fitted by an RMS approved fitter. And then people get defensive!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 14-02-2016 at 18:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think that isofix is a little different to majority of other seats currently used in Australia and I'm not talking about that. Not sure if others are using isofix but given the snide "it's not rocket science" comments then maybe people are talking about isofix?

It's very interesting that people are critical of those who are blase about their child restraints but it's ok to be smug to others who are careful and pay to have theirs fitted and say thing like "there's a reason there's a manual " as if people who don't feel confident doing it themselves are stupid.

It goes both ways. I asked a genuine question about people having their restraint fitted by an approved installer because I am the only person I know who goes to have it fitted by an RMS approved fitter. And then people get defensive!
    I think people got defensive because the people commenting in this thread are obviously people who have put a lot of thought into their child's car seat safety so to insinuate they aren't being safe if they don't professionally fit got their backs up. I get what you're trying to say but when aimed at the regular commenters in this thread it wasn't really valid.

You are making a good point though, and this is one of the issues with Australian regulations, they've made it more difficult than it needs to be to install a car seat and many people can't afford to have their seat professionally all of the time, or at all, so current regulations are essentially enabling more seats to continue to be used improperly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (14-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    None of mine are ISOFIX.

I don't think it's fair though to say no one should ever do their own seats. That's just not practical. We don't move the seats often but after having one baby who vomited on at least 50% of every car rides I got pretty good at it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (14-02-2016),MINIRoo  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I think people got defensive because the people commenting in this thread are obviously people who have put a lot of thought into their child's car seat safety so to insinuate they aren't being safe if they don't professionally fit got their backs up. I get what you're trying to say but when aimed at the regular commenters in this thread it wasn't really valid. .
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had a professional installer put our seat in. We read the manual thoroughly, watched videos and yes we are confident we installed ours correctly and safely.

Our IL's on the other hand - we had to redo theirs as it did not follow the instructions correctly.

We have our 2nd bub due soon and will be installing our own seats.

If we are not sure we will always go to a fitter to confirm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think that isofix is a little different to majority of other seats currently used in Australia and I'm not talking about that. Not sure if others are using isofix but given the snide "it's not rocket science" comments then maybe people are talking about isofix? I don't have isofix so my seats require a bit more skill to install.

I said it wasn't rocket science. It wasn't intended as a snide remark, but a genuine one. I don't find it difficult and we don't have isofix. You said you believe most restraints are installed incorrectly due to parents doing it themselves. Well I've had a fitter stuff mine up, and I'm confident that I have read my manual correctly, got the correct seatbelt path, attached the tether to the anchor bolt etc.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016),MINIRoo  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    On a side note, when I was googling tethers and leg stabilizers I found this press release from last year from Britax stating that they will be phasing out tether straps on their convertible and rearfacing seats (there are two different ways, the Swedish way and Australian way) as they become more incompatible with current cars on the market and also because the Australian way is unpopular (in another article I read it stated many ended up not using their rearfacing seat as long as they should because of the annoyance of the Australian tether). This is a US press release but I imagine it is the same for Britax in Europe, hence why our seat doesn't have a tether option.

http://www.town.clarkstown.ny.us/cgi_files/child/77.pdf

Being a nanny in OZ before we bought our seats over here I was really worried about finding one with a tether as I thought it *had to* have one in order to make it safer but I was able to find many links stating it was unnecessary due to the leg stabilizer and rebound bar.
    The article basically says they are stopping the Australian tether model as US customers can't be ar$ed with a few minor inconveniences? (Getting bub in and out, using an extender strap in some cases where the original tether isn't long enough). Interesting article.
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-02-2016 at 18:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The statistics tell us that 70% of child restraints are not fitted properly. And the RACV says it's because parents think it's easy to do themselves.

Again, if you are competent at installing your child's seat then I am not talking about you and neither are the statistics. Your seat is probably one of the 30% installed correctly

https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...aint+correctly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The article basically says they are stopping the Australian tether model as US customers can't be ar$ed with a few minor inconveniences? (Getting bub in and out, using an extender strap in some cases where the original tether isn't long enough). Interesting article.
    Like I said in the rest of my post and other posts, the tether has been found to be unnecessary when a seat had other safety features (like the leg stabilizer). Obviously many Australians can't be arsed either, from earlier comments in this thread that rearfacing is too hard with a tether.

Eta: there are also some articles that state the tether can be unsafe when rearfacing if not installed correctly. And that statement also said that the Australian tether is often too short for American models of cars. Not just 'can't be arsed.'