Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In most countries in Europe, isofix don't use tethers.
    You can get ones with tethers, they're just optional. But seats without tethers have a foot bar which has been found to be better than or no difference in safety as a tether, and easier to use.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 13-02-2016 at 22:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I've seen people put them through seatbelt lockoffs, forget rebound bars and tethers and not recline seats properly. It will give you a firmer install a lot easier but you can still stuff it up.
    I'm wondering what percentage of incorrect installations are due to the shoulder straps? Too loose, and/or wrong slot position. And with most seats I know of, you have to uninstall the seat to change the slot position.

One of the other things that is in that percentage is incorrect choice of seat, so swapping to a ff seat or booster too soon. It's likely education will help here, as a lot of people are still using the age rules and not other factors like height markers.

The rebound bar can easily be done incorrectly, with seats with a '2 option recline' forward facing, it could be mistaken and the seat leaned back too far. This is another reason I'm not a fan of them

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    The question is...why are so many people installing incorrectly?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I'm just wondering if it's not the installation, but the usage in most cases. If we had a breakdown of the statistics I could fully understand. When they say 80% are incorrectly installed, technically it could be fitted to the car correctly, but not set up right for the child, that is a big difference. Some of these things can be helped with education. I think there needs to be more information, and easier to access. Doing things like that might be able to change these social norms like the 'they're 6 months so I can forward face them'. I'm a firm believer in 'know better, do better'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kzm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Should do a spin off to ask how many people pay to have their seat installed by a qualified fitter. I personally believe most seats are installed incorrectly because parents do it themselves!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I'm just wondering if it's not the installation, but the usage in most cases. If we had a breakdown of the statistics I could fully understand. When they say 80% are incorrectly installed, technically it could be fitted to the car correctly, but not set up right for the child, that is a big difference. Some of these things can be helped with education. I think there needs to be more information, and easier to access. Doing things like that might be able to change these social norms like the 'they're 6 months so I can forward face them'. I'm a firm believer in 'know better, do better'
    Which is why you should go to have a seat installed by a fitter every time. I don't swap my seat between cars because I can't do it right like the fitter. We either just use my car for my youngest or my husband takes the older two in his car as we don't have a restraint for our youngest in his car. Our eldest is not in a restraint anymore, our son is in a booster with no tether.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Because they do it themselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Should do a spin off to ask how many people pay to have their seat installed by a qualified fitter. I personally believe most seats are installed incorrectly because parents do it themselves!!!
    We had our restraint professionally installed for our first child. The fitter got it so wrong, it was ridiculous. Forgot the rebound bar, reclined the front seat so it was pushing on the restraint to hold it in, over tightened the tether. We were first time parents and thought it was a good idea to get it installed professionally first.

We install our own seats now, and I'm confident they are done correctly. It's not rocket science, read the manual and follow the instructions.

I believe a lot of people don't care and take a blasé attitude to restraint installation. I've seen tethers wrapped around the headrest and not attached to the anchor bolt, tethers attached to cargo points not anchor points because either a) they didn't refer to their car manual to find the correct point or b) they just don't care anyway, wrong seatbelt paths used. And then comes the issue that you can have the best install in the world and the harness it loose and it won't mean anything in a crash.

It's just not practically to have someone professionally install restraints each and every time. Life happens, restraints need to be changed, put in grandmas car, covers washed due to pee or vomit etc etc.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

A&S  (14-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016),Gentoo  (14-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (14-02-2016),MINIRoo  (15-02-2016),nh2489  (14-02-2016),PipersMummy  (15-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (14-02-2016),Wise Enough  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Ours is installed correctly. There are two things for us to do, click our ISOFIX rods into the hooks (genuinely no other place for them to click and be mistaken with) and make sure they are green and make sure the leg stabilizer is green.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-02-2016 at 06:51.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I think the stat is more 'improper use of the car seat.' So not installed correctly, harness not tight enough, puffy clothes making harness not tight enough, twisted straps which means you can't tighten them correctly, I've heard stories of people only buckling the shoulder straps but not the waist, etc.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-02-2016 at 06:56.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-02-2016)