+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPink View Post
    Ok so I wish I knew how to paste pictures on here because I just google imaged extended rear facing car seating, and I have to say from ages 2 + it does by instill safety to me at all!

So kids who have long legs just squish them up the seat - plus if you have more than one child in a rear facing seat, it would be even more 'squishy' - I fully support rear facing whilst their feet can comfortably dangle down like that picture of your little one Holly, but after that - it doesn't look safe at all

There was one picture of a mini van, where the seat seems to be positioned a lot more closer to the seat in front and the feet can dangle down comfortably, as there is ample room but most cars are not like this.

I feel like I need to preface this post with once again not trying to be argumentative - just quite interested - and a little floored that people would want 8 year olds to be ERF
    Actually kids are more likely to break a leg forward facing than rear facing because their legs get thrown into a front seat but when people say that to me about legs I reply with "Broken leg cast it, broken neck casket" . I much rather a child suffer a broken leg/s than an internal decapitation.

I don't know about rf 8 yr olds though.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 12-02-2016 at 17:40.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

A&S  (12-02-2016),nh2489  (13-02-2016),PinkPink  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I'm not very fond of babylove, or mothers choice, I just don't think they look very safe, especially compared to other manufacturers like safe n sound, and infasecure. I had a mothers choice seat and it was a complete waste of money. Really low markers and guaranteed head slump forward facing, it was replaced by an infasecure neon quite quickly. I have quite a dislike of any seat with '2 recline options forward facing' as they seem badly designed.

I had a quick google of the cheaper end ERF seats and the kompressor is the cheapest I would consider, at $430 without isofix means I could only buy 1 and I would spend my life swapping it between cars. Having multiple recline positions forward facing is important to me due to the head slump issue. I've spent hundreds on car seats so far to keep my daughter as safe as possible, and just wish there was more options with ERF, and the seats cheaper. I reckon once the seats are in the big stores at lowing prices, it will be a lot more accepted
    You do realise that baby love and safe and sound come out of the same factory and are made to the same standards? Baby love is just a lower price point version of sns products. Which basically means they have the same shells but without the bells and whistles or would be last years sns model rebadged. You can't go wrong with any of the brands of car seats you just have to make sure it suits your own applications.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MINIRoo For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess we all have or favourites and things/companies we steer away from. For me it's the seats that come from Dorel (Maxi Cosi, Safety 1st and Mother's Choice) not that they aren't safe but I find them impractical and not as good feature wise as the other brands and their customer service sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I'm not sure if I agree with the sentiment that because all seats pass the same safety standards they are all equally safe. To me it's more that all seats have passed the minimum requirements to pass a safety test but some seats will still test better than others. I get the 'bells and whistles' comment for more expensive seats but often some of those 'bells and whistles' are added safety features like extra side impact protection which can make a car seat more expensive and 'better.' But I do agree that a rearfacing seat, installed correctly will be safer than a FF seat.

It's a bit like the minimum weight requirement to turn a child FF in a particular seat. Turning a child that meets the weight restriction doesn't mean the seat is completely safe for them that way it just means that's the minimum weight they were able to test to get some results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm not sure if I agree with the sentiment that because all seats pass the same safety standards they are all equally safe. To me it's more that all seats have passed the minimum requirements to pass a safety test but some seats will still test better than others. I get the 'bells and whistles' comment for more expensive seats but often some of those 'bells and whistles' are added safety features like extra side impact protection which can make a car seat more expensive and 'better.' But I do agree that a rearfacing seat, installed correctly will be safer than a FF seat.

It's a bit like the minimum weight requirement to turn a child FF in a particular seat. Turning a child that meets the weight restriction doesn't mean the seat is completely safe for them that way it just means that's the minimum weight they were able to test to get some results.
    I agree. I buy seats with added safety features because I believe they will protect my child better than a basic seat. Yes the basic seat is safe and will do it's job but a seat with side impact protection will do it better and that's what I want and I'm prepared to pay for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    I agree. I buy seats with added safety features because I believe they will protect my child better than a basic seat. Yes the basic seat is safe and will do it's job but a seat with side impact protection will do it better and that's what I want and I'm prepared to pay for it.
    Yep agree. My car seat was the most expensive item I bought for Bub ($700) but it's also the only thing I bought that could save her life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some (not all) people are prepared to spend so much on the best pram/stroller but for something that could save their child's life it's like I don't want to spend over $150 on a car seat. Is that because others don't see a car seat but everyone sees what pram/stroller you have?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

A&S  (13-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just curious if everyone installs their own restraints?

70% of car seats are not installed properly in Australia. That is a shocking statistic. And we get to that number because parents think they can install it themselves. You could have the safest, most expensive seat on the market but it is useless in a collision if it is not installed correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just curious if everyone installs their own restraints?

70% of car seats are not installed properly in Australia. That is a shocking statistic. And we get to that number because parents think they can install it themselves. You could have the safest, most expensive seat on the market but it is useless in a collision if it is not installed correctly.
    That's where isofix is so great. You actually can't stuff it up and that's why it's so much safer. I don't have it in my car unfortunately so I took mine to be professionally installed. I didn't feel 100% about it when I got home though. I'm part of a car seat safety Facebook group (nerd alert) so I posted some pictures on there and yep it was incorrect (just needed a few corrections). So I think it's definitely worth getting it done professionally but to always have it double checked or make sure you check it yourself using the manual. It's something you can't afford to get wrong so it pays to take the time and do it right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (13-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    That's where isofix is so great. You actually can't stuff it up and that's why it's so much safer. I don't have it in my car unfortunately so I took mine to be professionally installed. I didn't feel 100% about it when I got home though. I'm part of a car seat safety Facebook group (nerd alert) so I posted some pictures on there and yep it was incorrect (just needed a few corrections). So I think it's definitely worth getting it done professionally but to always have it double checked or make sure you check it yourself using the manual. It's something you can't afford to get wrong so it pays to take the time and do it right.
    I do always pay to get mine installed, I'm just curious if all the people in this thread going on about how much safer their chosen seat is pay to have theirs installed

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A&S  (13-02-2016)