+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's also about 4000000 degrees here so I'm going to try and get some sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm with you HG. I'm a soon to be first time mum and have spent many many sleepless nights looking into car seat safety. I even joined a car seat safety Facebook group which has been hugely educational for me.
    Extended rear facing is safest and I think that's evidenced by all the new car seats coming out promoting ERF. Mine for example is ERF until 2-3 years and there is no way I'll be turning before she outgrows the markers.
    I think it's a case of 'when you know better you do better' and unfortunately there just isn't enough education for new and old parents.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the posts so might be mentioned already but in Sweden children are rear facing until 4 years ( preferably 5 years ). They have specially designed car seats for this. In the 46 years since this law came into place there has been only 5 children killed in car accidents while in there seats. It's largely because children up until this age are still quite top heavy in regards head : body ratio. A high speed accident causes their heads to snap forward and if front facing a lot more injury is causes then rear facing. I remember reading about it years ago when trying to decide whether or not to turn DD.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-02-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (09-02-2016),Tiny Dancer  (09-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    I haven't read all the posts so might be mentioned already but in Sweden children are rear facing until 4 years ( preferably 5 years ). They have specially designed car seats for this. In the 46 years since this law came into place there has been only 5 children killed in car accidents while in there seats. It's largely because children up until this age are still quite top heavy in regards head : body ratio. A high speed accident causes their heads to snap forward and if front facing a lot more injury is causes then rear facing. I remember reading about it years ago when trying to decide whether or not to turn DD.
    I actually used sweden's guidelines and recommendations for specific car seats when choosing our next size up from the capsule, it lasts until he is 4 and can rear or forward face, love it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I actually used sweden's guidelines and recommendations for specific car seats when choosing our next size up from the capsule, it lasts until he is 4 and can rear or forward face, love it!
    Ohhhh what did you get that lasts til 4? I thought mine was one of the longest lasting. I bought the platinum pro.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Ohhhh what did you get that lasts til 4? I thought mine was one of the longest lasting. I bought the platinum pro.
    I'm currently living in London so not sure it's available there, it's a Britax Dualfix (I think Britax's name is safe n sound in oz). The maxi-cosi 2-way pearl is similar but the Dualfix swivels to the side to get him in and out, which is awesome.

Eta: I think because extended rear-facing and ISOFIX are fairly new in Australia it makes your options a bit more limited.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-02-2016 at 01:49.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I know I'll be flamed but all my kids were turned around by 6 months. All screamed continually until they were turned. My risk of having an accident actually reduced once I turned them.
    I get what you mean. DS never stopped screaming rear facing. I ended up never going anywhere if I could get away with it (he is my 1st so I could - its harder with multiple children).

I kept rearfacing until he got to the markers (prob about 8 months or so) but it was hell for DH and I.

We did everything. I am not disagreeing with the petition (I am all for it) but it is harder than you think if you have a screamer in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I get what you mean. DS never stopped screaming rear facing. I ended up never going anywhere if I could get away with it (he is my 1st so I could - its harder with multiple children).

I kept rearfacing until he got to the markers (prob about 8 months or so) but it was hell for DH and I.

We did everything. I am not disagreeing with the petition (I am all for it) but it is harder than you think if you have a screamer in the car.
    But what do you think people in other countries do that legally have to keep them rearfacing until a minimum 15 months or 2 years? I hated going in the car for months with DS but I didn't have a choice. And he got over it eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sure no one has an answer to this but just wondering if anyone has kids that suffer from travel sickness and whether the direction made a difference? We've got a seat that can be rear facing up to about age 4 (same one as HG and yep we shouldn't use it here in oz I know) but when my ds1 was 18 months he started getting car sickness. It's pretty bad in that it usually happens within about 10 mins. Initially we kept him rear facing as I read it didn't make a diff but then found if we went away or used a diff forward facing car seat he was fine. So recently we gave in and have started him forward facing (he's over 2 now) but then on Sunday he was sick after a short time again while forward facing. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm talking about recommendations that take into account each countries (US, Australia etc) different existing guidelines regarding specific restraints that are currently used (anchoring etc). Unless studies take these differences into account recommendations are a bit like comparing oranges with lemons.