+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the Houdini strap is just for wriggly arms. I've heard of covers that go over the buckle but I'm not sure if they're actually legal. Worth looking into though. It must be scary for you.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-02-2016),J37  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

****please do not quote****

I thought I would share a couple photos of DS' (2 yo) leg positions in his ERF seat this morning. As you can see he's fine. I don't have an older child so can't demonstrate but I'm confident he'll still be fine in a year or two☺️.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1455197506.495929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1455197518.769395.jpg
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 11-02-2016 at 23:42.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I found this @J37, it's only a cover, most buckle guards seem to be for actual seat belts rather than 5 point harnesses.
    http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/my...t-belt%2F#2972

There are also a few mommy blogs that had tips like using a reward system to encourage them not to unbuckle, distracting with electronics, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

J37  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    @nh2489 the site I posted mentions car sickness:

'Travel sickness occurs when your brain receives mixed messages, it has nothing to do with the direction of travel. Your body can feel movement, but because your eyes can only see the car's stationary interior, you feel nauseous. The effect is usually worse if you look down, for example to read a book, and when the car goes around corners or over bumps. Looking out of the window at the horizon can help.
    A child who feels sick rear facing is just as likely to suffer car sickness in a forward facing seat. In a forward facing seat it may actually be worse, because the child has a more restricted view out of the window.'
    I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life, it's just awful. I feel much worse when rear facing compared to forward. Totally incorrect about rear facing being better, sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by sarahd80 View Post
    I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life, it's just awful. I feel much worse when rear facing compared to forward. Totally incorrect about rear facing being better, sorry
    If you read the post I was responding to she said her child was sick forward facing as well. If you google, many sites say turning them forward facing rarely makes it better, that the direction of travel isn't why you're sick.

I get horrible motion sickness as well ☺️

Eta: I get that that is your experience, but you can't really apply that to everyone and claim it's nonsense, ya know?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 12-02-2016 at 01:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I think the Houdini strap is just for wriggly arms. I've heard of covers that go over the buckle but I'm not sure if they're actually legal. Worth looking into though. It must be scary for you.
    Thanks A&S and HGL. She wriggles her arms out too!!

I might send hubby to Baby Gallery this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I'm not very fond of babylove, or mothers choice, I just don't think they look very safe, especially compared to other manufacturers like safe n sound, and infasecure. I had a mothers choice seat and it was a complete waste of money. Really low markers and guaranteed head slump forward facing, it was replaced by an infasecure neon quite quickly. I have quite a dislike of any seat with '2 recline options forward facing' as they seem badly designed.

I had a quick google of the cheaper end ERF seats and the kompressor is the cheapest I would consider, at $430 without isofix means I could only buy 1 and I would spend my life swapping it between cars. Having multiple recline positions forward facing is important to me due to the head slump issue. I've spent hundreds on car seats so far to keep my daughter as safe as possible, and just wish there was more options with ERF, and the seats cheaper. I reckon once the seats are in the big stores at lowing prices, it will be a lot more accepted
    You can compare safety ratings of child restraints here

https://www.childcarseats.com.au/fin...hild-car-seats

ETA - when you move the restraint between cars, do you do it yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this @J37, it's only a cover, most buckle guards seem to be for actual seat belts rather than 5 point harnesses.
    http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/my...t-belt%2F#2972

There are also a few mommy blogs that had tips like using a reward system to encourage them not to unbuckle, distracting with electronics, etc.
    Actually, that thing doesn't look too bad. Might order one if I can find it on an Australian website, as I assume that's a US website and delivery would take ages/be expensive?

Lucy doesn't yet respond to rewards, only threats and punishment...and even then only sometimes! God, my son was an angel compared to this devil toddler. But I think the trick is to thwart her efforts and this may do it. Ta.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you read the post I was responding to she said her child was sick forward facing as well. If you google, many sites say turning them forward facing rarely makes it better, that the direction of travel isn't why you're sick.

I get horrible motion sickness as well ☺️

Eta: I get that that is your experience, but you can't really apply that to everyone and claim it's nonsense, ya know?
    After reading this thread I was motivated to try my 2 year old rearward facing again yesterday for a quick 15 min trip to the shops. Way there was fine but on the way back the poor little love spent 10 mins crying into his sick bowl shouting "sick sick". Luckily we made it home without him being sick but I felt very sorry for him as he obviously felt sick most of the journey. So frustrating as I always intended to rear face him for as long as possible and as HG knows the britax seat is not cheap. He's definitely worse during short stop start journeys so maybe I will have him forward for those then rearward for longer journeys such as motorways where the risk of high impact crash is higher anyway.

And yes I also read that for babies the incidences of car sickness should be the same forward and rearward but after persevering for as long as we could rear facing and repeating vomiting, we turned him and he has generally been much better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Actually, that thing doesn't look too bad. Might order one if I can find it on an Australian website, as I assume that's a US website and delivery would take ages/be expensive?

Lucy doesn't yet respond to rewards, only threats and punishment...and even then only sometimes! God, my son was an angel compared to this devil toddler. But I think the trick is to thwart her efforts and this may do it. Ta.

Surely there has to be a similar product in OZ if this one isn't available.