+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    VP, you've proven throughout the thread that your issue isn't just the petition.
    Either I haven't been clear or you've misinterpreted. Or the truth lies somewhere in between.

I am actually not against looking into the rear facing issue - I think there is merit there. I just think this particular petition is crap and unless there's a petition with links to credible and relevant studies I can't bring myself to sign it. Petitions lacking in robustness can do more harm then good to the cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Either I haven't been clear or you've misinterpreted. Or the truth lies somewhere in between.

I am actually not against looking into the rear facing issue - I think there is merit there. I just think this particular petition is crap and unless there's a petition with links to credible and relevant studies I can't bring myself to sign it. Petitions lacking in robustness can do more harm then good to the cause.
    Hmmm...comparing the cause to an anti-vax campaign really did s good job at getting your point across hey?

There are other petitions. Why don't you find one?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Hmmm...comparing the cause to an anti-vax campaign really did s good job at getting your point across hey?

There are other petitions. Why don't you find one?
    1. I clearly stated I was talking about the methodology of the campaign not the credibility of the core issue. It's not my fault if you chose to skim over this bit.

2. I don't have time/can't be arsed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    1. I clearly stated I was talking about the methodology of the campaign not the credibility. It's not my fault if you chose to skim over this bit.

2. I don't have time/can't be arsed.
    Ummm... Fairly certain you argued that the studies were irrelevant as well?

If you can't be bothered than why are you even participating in this thread?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-02-2016),just her chameleon  (10-02-2016),WiseOldOwl  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like you're not actually reading my posts. I responded yesterday that a change in regulations wouldn't happen overnight, it takes a few years to get the whole community implementing them. Also many sites address the 'tall' baby argument. How do 3-4 year olds in Sweden cope with being rearfacing? Are they exceptionally shorter than Australians?
    They must be short until they shoot up in size during puberty lol.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there not seats now in Aus that do have quite high markers (some being inexpensive)? Also even if a child is over the official marker does that mean the seat is no longer useable as rear facing?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Actually, I just googled and found that Ireland changed their regulations when the UK did, so they are making the change. https://www.newstalk.com/Front-facin...-their-way-out

Are all EU countries considered 'developed nations?' Hungary and Poland are considered 'developing.'
    Most are. Poland is considered developing by the EU because they haven't entirely embraced the euro- whole other rant.

Ireland is in the process of enforcing new regulations, yes, but it's not law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This petition is not debating vaccinations, a parent's ability to tune out their child, or pregnant women...

I stand by my original point, and I understand that those who don't have much understanding of scientific statistical analysis might find it a bit confusing. The AGE at which turning a child becomes an acceptable risk is simply unable to be quantified. Yes, there are some very credible recommendations, and as HGL posted this includes the AAP. But if you're looking for robust scientific proof, it does not and cannot exist.

So, let's call them "recommendations based on pretty good theory, taking paediatric anatomy and the physics of motion into account". But to "prove" an AGE scientifically is not possible.

HGL, you would probably argue that we should therefore err on the side of caution, and you are probably right.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016),binnielici  (10-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ummm... Fairly certain you argued that the studies were irrelevant as well?

If you can't be bothered than why are you even participating in this thread?
    The relevance of some of the studies isn't crystal clear. If you can go for an extended time stating your support of the movement and petition surely I can do the same stating my concerns? Or is the ability to Rabbit on only authorised for one side of the debate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Most are. Poland is considered developing by the EU because they haven't entirely embraced the euro- whole other rant.

Ireland is in the process of enforcing new regulations, yes, but it's not law.
    But it will be, hence why they are enforcing...

I'm just curious as to what other countries you're referring to as in being developed and having lax laws. I'm about to go run a playgroup so can't google every EU countries exact regulations. But I remember you saying until recently you hadn't been home for years, which I assume includes other EU countries, so assume you haven't seen how children travel in them for some time.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    They must be short until they shoot up in size during puberty lol.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there not seats now in Aus that do have quite high markers (some being inexpensive)? Also even if a child is over the official marker does that mean the seat is no longer useable as rear facing?
    The lowest rrp is $250, so I don't consider it inexpensive, i tend to think under $200 is reasonable, over it is luxury. And apparently you shouldn't use the seat rear facing once the child's shoulders are above the turn marker, I think it has something to do with the anti-rebound bar and how it will work