+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckyChook View Post
    Personally I don't understand why people who have kids of their own cant tune it out. I don't have kids yet and I just turn the music up a bit so I can still hear it over their screaming, and ignore them lol they aren't hungry or uncomfortable, it's a temper tantrum simple as that.
    Fa real??? Wtf 😂😂😂😂😂

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016),BettyW  (10-02-2016),binnielici  (10-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckyChook View Post
    I had always planned on getting a RF seat from England or Europe if there weren't any decent ones available in Aus when I have kids. That being said, I'm one of the ones who CAN afford to just buy a new seat when they outgrow, not many can afford to even buy one.

Where I live the cops struggle to educate locals to have kids in a seat at all! Many are on laps from birth even in the front seat, so they scream non stop when they are strapped in. I've had kids scream constantly for almost 2 hours of a 4 hour drive, until they passed out exhausted. Personally I don't understand why people who have kids of their own cant tune it out. I don't have kids yet and I just turn the music up a bit so I can still hear it over their screaming, and ignore them lol they aren't hungry or uncomfortable, it's a temper tantrum simple as that.
    I have a 6 month old and she cries in the car and it is extremely hard to tune her out, I have been on the freeway and unable to pull over to tend to her and believe me it is a huge distraction and also very upsetting. However before I had her and would be in a friends car with a crying baby it is was in no way the same as when it was my own baby, I think you might be surprised once your little one arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Absolutely. But that's not what's in question here. It's the AGE at which turning a child becomes an acceptable risk.

(The spinal cord itself does not ossify. I think you meant to write the bony spine/vertebrae.)

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes, vertebrae is what I meant lol. There are studies showing different levels of ossification at different ages. I think it would be safe to say the older the better when it comes to turning the car seat. Especially given that even adults are safer when seated rear-facing.
    The petition that this thread was originally about, was aiming to change the law from 6 months to 12 months. Even still, there is still a long way to go towards ossification at 12 months but it's a start. It would be a pretty big ask to expect to jump straight from 6 months to 2 years, or older.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I never knew newborn babies threw temper tantrums. Thanks for that expert bit of info.
    'You took my milk away mum. Such a meanie! If I could stomp my little foot I would!'

Even my almost 3 year old does not just have 'temper tantrums'. He has 'I hurt/can't explain what's wrong' moments.

It is pretty much impossible to tune out. Maybe you can drown them out but you can't drown out the ache in your heart when you know they are crying.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can actually tune out crying a lot of the time. I can't tune out a newborn screaming for so hard and so long that they aren't breathing properly and start turning a funny colour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    The new standards were designed in September 2014, they all are quite new to the market, and still quite pricey. The car seat manufacturers also had to design type g seats (harness til 8) as well, so we are still seeing extended rear facing seats trickling into the market. They can be hard to find in shops to purchase, and can cost quite a bit. Hopefully in a few years the cheaper options of current designs will make extended rear facing commonplace
    This is my point though, a change in law and education would see an increase in manufacturing demand and therefore and increase in seat options and affordability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Australia is the "only" country that allows this? Really?

I am almost sure that in Ireland you can turn at 9 months, and I think the law states that the restraint must be appropriate for height and weight, and that rearward facing must never be near an airbag, rather than ages.
    They recommend up to 15 months, but its not law.
    Just because Ireland does it as well doesn't make it right...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I preface this by saying I haven't read all of the links, just a few posted by HGL.

VP is right though, the ones I read were essentially "opinion pieces".

The problem with asking for a so-called "scientific study" is this... You cannot do a proper randomised-controlled-study (RCT) on this. It's unethical, and no-one would participate anyway. There are no relevant animals to use instead. Yes, there are "models", but even these have very limited generalability to children.

Yes, you could do retrospective studies, but these are very difficult to quantify, and a poor cousin to the RCT.

Yes, children have much bigger and heavier heads in proportion to their bodies, so it "makes sense" that an impact in the forward position would potentially cause more cervical vertebral damage, due to the momentum of the head, and the neck behaving as a fulcrum. But... at what age or weight this risk becomes acceptable is, essentially, not able to be documented scientifically.

So...we are left with "opinion pieces".

I don't have the answer. I don't even have an opinion on this one (which may be a first for me). I actually thought the rules in Victoria were 12 months or 10kg, whichever came first.

And before someone says "you can't do a RCT on seat-belts either, why should that be the rule"...some things don't need scientific proof, just basic knowledge of Physics. We are not debating seatbelts in children, but the type thereof.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I posted a few articles from mommy and rearfacing sites but also studies, or those sites had links to studies, to the American Academy of Pediatrics, Injury Prevention, studies on a child's spine, etc. sorry I'm not going to individually link every single one when they are included on certain sites I linked. I semi get what you are saying, but to call those sites and studies 'opinions' still doesn't sit right with me because you are automatically giving people who can't be bothered an excuse to disregard them when they are perfectly valid. That's like saying certain recommendations and studies on pregnant women are opinion pieces because you can't actually expose pregnant women to certain factors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    We did. We drove straight to Mothercare and bought a Britax. It was OK but prefer mine in Oz.. Sorry.
    Haha, that's fine, but since you were buying an extra seat in pounds I'm sure you weren't willing to go out of a particular budget? My comment was more that the UK has a much larger range of options for ERF seats, hence making their selection of seats better and safer than Australia's. I actually have never looked in mothercare for any baby product so can't comment on their stock.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petition to keep babies safe

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I don't want to be rude but as far as people being unable to tune their own kids out - you may change your views once your own child is born.

Oh and DS2 wasn't chucking a temper tantrum at 2 weeks old. He was so distressed he was vommitting.
    I do agree with you, as a nanny crying didn't bother me, as a mom, I can't stand to hear any baby cry. BUT, I still put up with it in the carseat, pulled over, did whatever to calm him down and continue.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 17:11.