+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Hackers try and break into computer systems to get data. They are programmers, not people who unlawfully use other people's wifi.
    It's not only about the unlawful use of wifi. If someone (whether the wifi 'owner' or a person using that wifi without authorisation) uses that wifi to unlawfully access another persons device then that is hacking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have another IT friend who also doesn't lock her wifi as her "gift to the world".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    That name to me says it's a neighbor's wifi that they setup for a guest. If it was a provider one it usually says something like 'Telstra free wifi/hotspot.'

Go into settings/wifi and then 'forget this network.' Usually at the bottom.
    Couldn't figure out how to do it. :/ He has a Sony Xperia. I think.
    Also I found a third one of these networks, this one is locked and it's called "belkin something-or-other media". So. confused. How can someone have so many different networks?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    My brother...who is very IT literate...has unsecured wifi at home. His plan is unlimited and when asked him for his password he "said haven't got one, I don't care who uses it"...
    Maybe it is something like that. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I have another IT friend who also doesn't lock her wifi as her "gift to the world".
    Wow, I can't believe people do this! But then I'm used to having a very, very limited data allowance, so I just couldn't fathom having so much that you can give it away unmonitored!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP can't you just ask him to show you how he did it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    OP can't you just ask him to show you how he did it?
    How to do what?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Isn't belkin just the name of a common wireless router brand? People are probably just using the generic name their routers came with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Free wifi?

OP: was your son eating a carrot when he accessed the free wifi?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (10-02-2016),JustJaq  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Wow, I can't believe people do this! But then I'm used to having a very, very limited data allowance, so I just couldn't fathom having so much that you can give it away unmonitored!
    It is amazing the difference in how much data you can get in different areas. My parents are a data limited area where they can only get 20 gig no matter who they go with. Where as we have 1k of gig and 3 three times a year we can double that at no extra cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Isn't belkin just the name of a common wireless router brand? People are probably just using the generic name their routers came with.
    Yes but all three have the same letter/number code following the belkin name. So I figured they belong to the same person?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have an xperia.

Settings > wireless & networks > WiFi

If it's connected just click on it and there's an option to forget. Otherwise go to the three dots in the top right corner, hit "saved networks" and click then click forget. It won't get rid of the network though, he can still search for it and use it.

If you want to block the phone from picking up the network, you can't do that from the phone settings, but I would have thought there's an app for that sort of thing.