+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Using someone's wifi without permission is definitely stealing. I'm amazed that anyone thinks it isn't, or that it's somehow more acceptable than walking into a shop and just taking things because they aren't "locked down".

That being said, OP it's not impossible that your son has connected legally to a free public wifi in your area. Lots of places have them these days, plus there are the Telstra hotspots being built in the old phone boxes. Check on your phone and see what wifi networks are available, if there are no free ones in your area he could be stealing it from a neighbour.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine if its called "guest wifi" that it is probably legitimately a free wifi spot he is picking up. Peoples wifi accounts are not usually called "guest", they are called things like TelstraBBC78533 or the like, or they rename them to their own name or something.

There are plenty of free wifi spots around, such as some cafes etc. are there other apartment blocks or hotels near you? Maybe he's picking up the free wifi they have available for their guests?

I'm not sure how you check where it's coming from though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (09-02-2016),PomPoms  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sonja, I'm interested in what you think about the law regarding effectively 'finders keepers' and/or abandoned goods in relation to unsecured wifi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    I would imagine if its called "guest wifi" that it is probably legitimately a free wifi spot he is picking up. Peoples wifi accounts are not usually called "guest", they are called things like TelstraBBC78533 or the like, or they rename them to their own name or something.

There are plenty of free wifi spots around, such as some cafes etc. are there other apartment blocks or hotels near you? Maybe he's picking up the free wifi they have available for their guests?

I was just about to make this point. Being a "guest" connection I would assume it were a deliberate connection. I have made one before for a friend(who I didn't want knowing the password) on our connection and I had to go through several steps to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Op it's either one of two situations. You are actually able to pick up a guest/free wifi hotspot from a cafe or your service provider or it's a neighbor with no password. If it's the latter it may not be illegal but definitely poor form and I would consider it stealing, you could be making their bill rise or their connection slow down. Open up his settings, click on wifi and check what connection he's on.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    @CMF....did you work it out?

BTW - I am so technologically unaware that I too would have to ask someone what was happening. And further, if I had to set up a wifi network (if something ever happened to DH) I would seriously be in trouble and probably end up with all our data stolen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you just use your device to search for wifi connections & find out that way?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Kimmmm  (09-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies!
    Just a couple of things to point out...

If it is a neighbours unsecured wifi, I am most definitely NOT ok with him using it; that would be stealing. Although I think it is really really stupid to leave your wifi unsecured.

AFAIK he is not running up anyone's bill. He has all his games already downloaded onto his phone, he was purely using this wifi to message his friends. Which I am not ok with, but at least I don't need to worry that he's for eg downloading movies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I agree with previous posts, but are you definitely not in range of any public places with wifi? We're in an apartment block but we can pick up a public signal from a venue about 50m away.
    It's unlikely but a possibility.
    We are in a fairly built-up area, but the unit block itself is quite big so I just can't imagine any nearby shops etc reaching that far. But then again I am a technophobe so I actually have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    Is it possible it is just guest wifi?

We have stayed at plenty of places that have free guest wifi. Sometimes they have a daily download limit and then you have to pay (but it locks you out).

We bought a portable wifi and can't get onto that one without a password.

Why not turn your wifi on and off again and connect to the same wifi as your son? That way you know exactly which wifi he is connecting to.
    But a guest wifi of where? That's what I want to know.
    And I do know exactly what wifi he's connected to, as it comes up on my phone if I press 'search for networks' or whatever. I have not connected to it though, I just ignore it and connect to my own. But it gives me no clues as to where it's coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So you would be aware then of the risk of hackers using unsecured wifi networks to spread malware on personal computer devices. Or the risk of a host using an unsecured wifi connection to direct users to Trojan sites.
    I have actually heard of this and it is one of my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Are you with Telstra? Because I'm pretty sure they have free wifi hotspots around the place for their customers? Could be something like that?
    Yes I am with Telstra. How would I know if it is one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    OP I actually think it is illegal to use someone else's wifi. Basically when you sign up to wifi you sign a bunch of terms and conditions which contain restrictions. Accessing wifi without permission will in against those conditions and therefore potentially illegal.

I also think if it's an "unsecured network" there would potentially be problems with malaware. We scoffed at @VicPark earlier but I was thinking more of the neighbour situation than a wireless hotspot.

Yeah I'd be taking your sons phone off him and getting the settings to ignore that network.
    How can you ignore a network?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Using someone's wifi without permission is definitely stealing. I'm amazed that anyone thinks it isn't, or that it's somehow more acceptable than walking into a shop and just taking things because they aren't "locked down".

That being said, OP it's not impossible that your son has connected legally to a free public wifi in your area. Lots of places have them these days, plus there are the Telstra hotspots being built in the old phone boxes. Check on your phone and see what wifi networks are available, if there are no free ones in your area he could be stealing it from a neighbour.
    Again, how do I figure out if this is a free network? And is there truly such a thing as a genuine free network, no strings attached? I just find it hard to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post

There are actually 2 of them... one is called "belkin something-or-other" and it is locked with a password. The other is "belkin something-or-other guest", and it is unlocked.

So I'm still none the wiser about how to tell where this thing is coming from. I have told him not to use it. I'm just not sure if he will again or not. I have googled an article about "using a neighbours wifi" and it covers the 2 points I was concerned about- 1. that if it is genuinely a neighbours wifi, it is illegal as it is stealing, and 2. that it could be a scam thing to steal passwords etc.
    I just wish there was a way I could tell for sure.
    I hate technology sometimes. Too confuzzling for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Free wifi?

That name to me says it's a neighbor's wifi that they setup for a guest. If it was a provider one it usually says something like 'Telstra free wifi/hotspot.'

Go into settings/wifi and then 'forget this network.' Usually at the bottom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Free wifi?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast