+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Worming?

Is this something we should be routinely doing? We don't have pets but Dd1 is at daycare so exposed to other kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only ever wormed my kids when they obviously had them. eg I actually saw the worms, kids had an itchy bum etc

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (08-02-2016),rosey82  (08-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worming?

Following. I'm wondering the same thing. My DS is in year 1 but I've never wormed him. My friend says she worms her whole household every 6 months. Are there any side effects from the tablets? Is it bad to use the tabs prophylactic or only when worms confirmed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The worming tablets you buy at the chemist only kill threadworms. You can buy one for hookworm/roundworm too which is dosed by weight, but it is not usually necessary.
    If you don't live in the tropics the must common human worm by far is threadworm (like 99% guaranteed it's threadworm). The current recommendations are not to routinely worm your family, you should generally only treat if there are signs of worms.
    Because the human worm tablets don't kill the most common animal worms, it is important to routinely worm your pets.
    It is a misconception that the worming tablets you buy at the chemist will kill worms from pets.
    Take home message: regularly worm your pets, worm your kids only if you think they show signs of infestation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    The worming tablets you buy at the chemist only kill threadworms. You can buy one for hookworm/roundworm too which is dosed by weight, but it is not usually necessary.
    If you don't live in the tropics the must common human worm by far is threadworm (like 99% guaranteed it's threadworm). The current recommendations are not to routinely worm your family, you should generally only treat if there are signs of worms.
    Because the human worm tablets don't kill the most common animal worms, it is important to routinely worm your pets.
    It is a misconception that the worming tablets you buy at the chemist will kill worms from pets.
    Take home message: regularly worm your pets, worm your kids only if you think they show signs of infestation.
    You can buy the combination worm tablets for all 3 types of worms from the pharmacy, they don't only sell the tablets for threadworm only.

We do a family dose 6 monthly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i worm my children regularly because my 5 yo ds seems prone to them, he'll start whinging that his butt is itchy, I can never see any signs of them so I ignore him, bam I get the ****ing things and we all get wormed, rinse, repeat.

I was constantly infested as a kid, I would cry because I could not sleep, even though mum regularly wormed me.

I wont allowed my kids to get to that point

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worming?

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    You can buy the combination worm tablets for all 3 types of worms from the pharmacy, they don't only sell the tablets for threadworm only.

We do a family dose 6 monthly.
    Yes sorry if I was unclear, you can buy the combination ones from the chemist too, but it's not usually necessary. Threadworm is by far the most common worm in children.
    It's not going to harm your kids to worm them 6 monthly, but many, many people worm 6 monthly "because we have pets"I would hear it at least once a week at work.
    The tablets from the chemist don't kill animal worms, only human worms. So it's probably more important to worm your animals regularly than it is to worm your children regularly.
    ETA: it's also important to change the bedding, vacuum the bedroom if there is a confirmed case of threadworm. It will prevent reinfestation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Following. I'm wondering the same thing. My DS is in year 1 but I've never wormed him. My friend says she worms her whole household every 6 months. Are there any side effects from the tablets? Is it bad to use the tabs prophylactic or only when worms confirmed?
    There is no point to prophylactic treatment. Wormers have no residual action so won't prevent infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Yes sorry if I was unclear, you can buy the combination ones from the chemist too, but it's not usually necessary. Threadworm is by far the most common worm in children.
    It's not going to harm your kids to worm them 6 monthly, but many, many people worm 6 monthly "because we have pets"I would hear it at least once a week at work.
    The tablets from the chemist don't kill animal worms, only human worms. So it's probably more important to worm your animals regularly than it is to worm your children regularly.
    ETA: it's also important to change the bedding, vacuum the bedroom if there is a confirmed case of threadworm. It will prevent reinfestation.
    And there is only one animal worm that humans carry as worms in the intestine. Others we catch from animals lodge in all sorts of interesting spots and human wormers won't work against them. Bottom line - regular worming of animals is essential. The frequency depends on where you live and the lifestyle of your pet.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (09-02-2016),rosey82  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may just give a dose, being at daycare you never know