+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi :) new first time mum

Hi everyone,

Boy am I glad to have found a baby forum where I can have some adult conversation.

I'm a new first time mum to a beautiful 4 week old baby boy. However, I'm having a tough time adapting. Frank seems to have all the problems and it makes me really sad to see him have such a hard start to life. Unfortunately, I am unable to breastfeed (as much as I wish I could) so I have had to put him on formula. In his first week and a half he was spitting up (a lot) and had chronic gas pains where he was up for hours at a time screaming in pain. After hours and hours of googling and forum hopping in the early hours of the morning, I Took him to the doctor and was prescribed Zantac for his reflux and also a reflux formula. Straight to the chemist, new formula and script filled.

Unfortunately I lead myself to believe this would be the end of my worries and I could enjoy my time with a happy little boy. Wasn't I wrong! After a week and a half there was no improvement and it seemed to make matters worse. Just as much regurgitation, just as much sleepless nights with a screaming baby, bloated tummy and lots of gas pain. Due to all the pain he wasn't sleeping or napping and became so overtired he didn't know why he was crying anymore. So Back to the doctor we went.

Doctor then decided to try LO on a soya based formula for a week or two to see if there was any improvement (he also started on drops for his oral thrush). One day in and things improved dramatically. His little tummy was less bloated, the crying in pain stopped and his spitting up was almost non existent. What a happy few days we shared together. Now the poor little thing is constipated and he has this gut wrenching scream when he tries. I feel like I'm failing as a mother and I'm not sure what else to do 😭

On a lighter note, we would love to know of any mums and buns groups around the Brisbane Redlands area? I need some adult time and to get out of the house ocassionally 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello & welcome.
    I'll be back....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessakahh View Post
    Hi everyone,

Boy am I glad to have found a baby forum where I can have some adult conversation.

I'm a new first time mum to a beautiful 4 week old baby boy. However, I'm having a tough time adapting. Frank seems to have all the problems and it makes me really sad to see him have such a hard start to life. Unfortunately, I am unable to breastfeed (as much as I wish I could) so I have had to put him on formula. In his first week and a half he was spitting up (a lot) and had chronic gas pains where he was up for hours at a time screaming in pain. After hours and hours of googling and forum hopping in the early hours of the morning, I Took him to the doctor and was prescribed Zantac for his reflux and also a reflux formula. Straight to the chemist, new formula and script filled.

Unfortunately I lead myself to believe this would be the end of my worries and I could enjoy my time with a happy little boy. Wasn't I wrong! After a week and a half there was no improvement and it seemed to make matters worse. Just as much regurgitation, just as much sleepless nights with a screaming baby, bloated tummy and lots of gas pain. Due to all the pain he wasn't sleeping or napping and became so overtired he didn't know why he was crying anymore. So Back to the doctor we went.

Doctor then decided to try LO on a soya based formula for a week or two to see if there was any improvement (he also started on drops for his oral thrush). One day in and things improved dramatically. His little tummy was less bloated, the crying in pain stopped and his spitting up was almost non existent. What a happy few days we shared together. Now the poor little thing is constipated and he has this gut wrenching scream when he tries. I feel like I'm failing as a mother and I'm not sure what else to do 😭

On a lighter note, we would love to know of any mums and buns groups around the Brisbane Redlands area? I need some adult time and to get out of the house ocassionally 😁
    Hello, I do not much much advice at all, however, does your child nurse come to your house?
    You can also make an appointment to go and see them, it's on the back of your blue book.

Have you tried massaging the tummy for the constipation? Doing the bicycle exercise with your little ones legs?

With formulas it is normal to get constipated, it's just a matter of trying which one works best, yes it's an expensive process at the start.

As for meeting mums, there is a section in here about local groups also your child nurse will hook you up with a mothers group near your house, also play group where you meet other mums. You can google them, they are free to go. Children's centre.

And I forgot to say, congratulations.

This forum is great and your not a failure. Children do not come With a manual. Your doing the best you can.

Has the dr said anything about colic!

My advice is a child nurse or children's hospital. But try the nurse first.

And welcome to Bub hub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to say hello and send hugs too.

I'm struggling with my 14 week old and she's my second- you'd think I'd know better the second time around! It's a super tough gig, especially as a first time mum it's such a shock, you certainly aren't a failure, 90% of mothers have been where you are!

Hope you find some support and interaction here, it helps! Xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hi :) new first time mum

Hello.. Couldn't read and run..

It's super hard so don't beat yourself up.. I posted on here when my DD was a few weeks old as was really struggling. Loss of freedom, sleep and a bit of PND.

You'll find lots of support here so welcome and congrats on your bundle.

The only advice I can offer is that it a WILL get better. Promise. One thing you can be sure of is they are constantly changing. Once he starts smiling at 8weeks or so it makes things a bit easier for you as you get something back.

Have you tried Goats Milk formula?

As PP have said, mothers group will be great. Lots of mums in the same bleary eyed exhausted boat who can offer support. Your local early childhood nurse should visit and hook you up about 6 weeks.

Also, if you feel you're drowning a bit please get a referral from your GP to go and see a counsellor. It's good to get a bit off your chest.

The upside to formula fed is that you can get a break. Can your partner take him for a while so you can go and get a pedi or catch up with friends? I know your exhausted but time off to recharge is essential..

All the best and keep talking on here. We're all 24/7 lol!