+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default tell me about your thermomix

How GOOD is it?? pro's con's? worth it? thanks..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love mine. I use it all the time for things like the CADA mueslie mix (coconut, almond, date, Apple), it can whip up soup in 20 mins, risotto is a breeze, you can make your own stock, dip, it's so much easier for white and other sauces, lasagne, bread, cakes, pancakes, make your own coconut milk/cream, steaming veg, cooking rice, mash, smoothies, ice cream, gelato, custard, you name it. The recipe community has thousands of dishes you can do along with the cook books.

I don't tend to do meat in mine, but will do the veg, and rice while I do meat in a pan with sauce (DD won't eat stirfrys etc if they are mixed up), but there are a few whole meals I do - the coconut rice and satay chicken is a fav and if you have babies just stating solids, you can whip up a months worth of meals in a couple of hours!

I've had mine for about 5 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (07-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How does it work? It doesnt look very big. Lol. So do you put the ingredients in and walk away? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love it and every month learn something new in it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    How does it work? It doesnt look very big. Lol. So do you put the ingredients in and walk away? Lol
    Depends on what you are cooking. Things like lasagne, you put in the carrot, onion, celery and garlic and chop, then cook that, add the mince, tomatoe purée and cook. Things like rice and veg, you put the rice in the basket in the jug, cut up your veg and put it in the steamer and cook. White sauce, you just chuck it all in and it does the rest. You can mostly chuck things in and walk away, but you may have to put some things in, cook a bit and then add more with a lot of recipes. But it does make things easy.

The jug holds 2L, it's enough for our family of 4.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love mine and cook practically everything in it. 3 years now , I use it many times a day and it has never burned anything or had any issues. Having a thermo allows me to cook things from scratch that I wouldn't bother with otherwise (e.g bread, sorbets, sauces,stocks)

Pros:
    - put ingredients in and leave... Return to a meal. Great when you are wrangling kids in the evening.
    - making things from scratch without preservatives and sugar
    - millions of recipes online for pretty much anything
    - easy to use, kids can be taught to use it
    - easy to clean
    - consistent results
    - cuts cooking time
    - you can save money in the long run by buying bulk foods and cooking from scratch

Cons
    - initial cost is expensive
    - when you first get it you have to commit to learning a new style of cooking

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't have a Thermomix (yet) but I am definitely going to get one down the track when we're a bit more flush.
    I bought a Bellini last year just to see if I liked this way of cooking and I am totally hooked!
    To be honest, a lot of the attraction is because I found Skinnymixers.
    Instead of cakes and scrolls (which I have no interest in baking or eating) I have been whipping up amazing butter chicken, lamb kormas, lamington balls, etc etc. It's just AMAZING, tasty, guilt free and healthy food.

I often joke to DH that the best thing of 2015 for me was buying a Bellini and joining Skinnymixers and I had a baby last year

Take a look at the Skinnymixers blog and browse the recipes.
    It's what convinced me to buy the Bellini.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 at the moment. I love mine. We usr ours to bake, cook whole meals, cook sauces, knead bread (my husband'd favourite function), make juices, froth my milk for my coffee, make sorbet and food process.

Oh and I agrre about skinnymixers, its my favourite TMX blog.

I recommend hosting a demo just to see what it looks like and whether you can see it fitting into your family.