+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Donated milk

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply. I don't plan on discussing it with anyone except my partner. I don't think it's anyone else's business. I'm part of a Facebook group that donates. I haven't posted on there though.

I discussed my supply last time and they said they think it never got established due to not actually breast feeding, only expressing. I've lost 22kgs since then so I'm a healthier weight. Hopefully that helps.

I didn't know I could see a LC during pregnancy. Thanks for that info. I'll set up an appointment when I'm further along.
    hi, hope you don't mind me thread crashing. just saw your posts and your situation with your dd has similarities to my current situation. my ds is 2 weeks old and has never had a successful BF on the boob. I've seen a LC about it who has suggested he has a tight jaw and tongue not extending properly over his lower gum so basically isn't taking all the boob into his mouth in order to achieve an effective suck. I've taken all this quite hard and personally. like you, i'm expressing. my supply is good however so I'm finding I'm getting enough out to give him breast milk exclusively (the only aspect of this whole fiasco I'm ok with).

well done for persisting with the expressing for 10 weeks. I'm 2 weeks in and am finding it tough. how did you cope time wise with expressing then doing feeds? my dh has been helping out with feeds but I'm on my own from next week which freaks me out a bit.

I assume if your supply was low you were supplementing with formula?

how did you know when enough was enough re trying to persist with BF/expressing? I feel like if my supply was low, the decision would be so much easier. but I've a good supply so feel like stopping now would just be out of laziness.

anyway didn't mean to derail your thread, just wanted to say wow and well done on expressing for 10 weeks. it sure does take dedication!

I wish you all the best with getting the BF experience you want this second time around xx
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 10-03-2016 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried feeding with a shield? Or is that the same....?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would look into getting a second opinion his tongue and if it needs to be snipped. With the advice she gave you regarding his jaw and tongue how long did she think it would take you to see some results?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I would look into getting a second opinion his tongue and if it needs to be snipped. With the advice she gave you regarding his jaw and tongue how long did she think it would take you to see some results?
    well we've got to go see the osteo for an assessment which happens tomorrow.

how long did it take for your ds to see a result after the craniosacral therapy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Have you tried feeding with a shield? Or is that the same....?
    tried a shield, he was marginally more interested but the suck just isn't there so he gets frustrated and just cries.

so I get upset and end up crying too. great result all round!! 🙄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    well we've got to go see the osteo for an assessment which happens tomorrow.

how long did it take for your ds to see a result after the craniosacral therapy?
    It was instant with his jaw being tight, the tense shoulders and favoring one side because turning his head the other way hurt but because his tongue was more the issue with feeding it didn't help heaps with that, it did a bit but it was more about him being able to stretch his tongue out and also time for his mouth to just naturally get bigger as he grew.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    tried a shield, he was marginally more interested but the suck just isn't there so he gets frustrated and just cries.

so I get upset and end up crying too. great result all round!! 🙄
    Oh honey I'm sorry. Lots of hugs. Something that is supposed to be natural is so so hard.

You are doing a great job. Whatever happens you are a great mum - be it expressing, BF or formula. Hugs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was actually looking up what people's experiences were with donating milk and I came across this thread. I thought my experience might help.

Due to losing 2 litres of blood, my milk took a while to come in and there wasn't much of it. We couldn't get the breastfeeding thing down at all so the midwife got me to start expressing. I ended up expressing solely for about 3 weeks - about every 2-ish hrs. My supply was still down so my midwife suggested I go to the Dr and get a prescription for Domperidone and with that,and all my expressing, I have built up quite a supply.

I ended up getting a lactation consultant to my house after 3 weeks (would have done it easier but it was the Xmas/New Year period). She got him latched on in roughly 5 min and have been breastfeeding ever since. Now he is 3 months old and is sleeping a good 8hrs over night so by morning, I need to express so he's not gulping it down and vomits it up. I can easily get 150ml from both sides each morning so I thought I might donate it.

So keep trying with the breastfeeding and see if you can build up your supply but if that doesn't work, You do whatever is best whether that be formula or using your friend's milk.

But I just wanted to let you know that you can build up your supply from expressing and with help from prescription medication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    hi, hope you don't mind me thread crashing. just saw your posts and your situation with your dd has similarities to my current situation. my ds is 2 weeks old and has never had a successful BF on the boob. I've seen a LC about it who has suggested he has a tight jaw and tongue not extending properly over his lower gum so basically isn't taking all the boob into his mouth in order to achieve an effective suck. I've taken all this quite hard and personally. like you, i'm expressing. my supply is good however so I'm finding I'm getting enough out to give him breast milk exclusively (the only aspect of this whole fiasco I'm ok with).

well done for persisting with the expressing for 10 weeks. I'm 2 weeks in and am finding it tough. how did you cope time wise with expressing then doing feeds? my dh has been helping out with feeds but I'm on my own from next week which freaks me out a bit.

I assume if your supply was low you were supplementing with formula?

how did you know when enough was enough re trying to persist with BF/expressing? I feel like if my supply was low, the decision would be so much easier. but I've a good supply so feel like stopping now would just be out of laziness.

anyway didn't mean to derail your thread, just wanted to say wow and well done on expressing for 10 weeks. it sure does take dedication!

I wish you all the best with getting the BF experience you want this second time around xx
    I expressed after every time I fed her as she was usually sleepy but I found it incredibly hard as she was such an unsettled baby due to silent reflux.

I did supplement with formula. I always have ebm first. She never showed a preference for either.

I know I won't be able to keep up the same thing this time though as I don't think I could entertain 2 kids and express. I definitely recommend a double pump though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisa101010 View Post
    I was actually looking up what people's experiences were with donating milk and I came across this thread. I thought my experience might help.

Due to losing 2 litres of blood, my milk took a while to come in and there wasn't much of it. We couldn't get the breastfeeding thing down at all so the midwife got me to start expressing. I ended up expressing solely for about 3 weeks - about every 2-ish hrs. My supply was still down so my midwife suggested I go to the Dr and get a prescription for Domperidone and with that,and all my expressing, I have built up quite a supply.

I ended up getting a lactation consultant to my house after 3 weeks (would have done it easier but it was the Xmas/New Year period). She got him latched on in roughly 5 min and have been breastfeeding ever since. Now he is 3 months old and is sleeping a good 8hrs over night so by morning, I need to express so he's not gulping it down and vomits it up. I can easily get 150ml from both sides each morning so I thought I might donate it.

So keep trying with the breastfeeding and see if you can build up your supply but if that doesn't work, You do whatever is best whether that be formula or using your friend's milk.

But I just wanted to let you know that you can build up your supply from expressing and with help from prescription medication.
    I expressed and used prescription medication. Still didn't have a supply.