+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by inner hippy View Post
    I haven't used donor milk but in my circles that is very common (along with wet nursing)

I would think about what potential issues he might have and have the answers and info ready. Does your DH know the friend, if so I think that might help.

Good luck.
    My partner does know my friend. She attended my daughter's first birthday and everything. I'm not sure that he will have questions, I think he might just find it a bit yuck. My daughter ended up on formula so he's going to probably see that as more normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Mamasupial - studies have shown metformin can help all women with Pcos and breasfeeding hun, i am not insulin resistant either but I am still on it for ttc. I love your idea of having a back up plan though hun and your friend is very kind to offer. Its great your partner knows your friend that should help, hopefully he comes round to the idea.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have not used it donated milk, but would highly recommend getting in touch with an IBCLC. Our local IBCLC helped a woman in our community feed with an SNS & donated milk for 12 months! Amazing!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

emmiejayne  (08-02-2016),Mamasupial  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post

I discussed my supply last time and they said they think it never got established due to not actually breast feeding, only expressing. I've lost 22kgs since then so I'm a healthier weight. Hopefully that helps.

I didn't know I could see a LC during pregnancy. Thanks for that info. I'll set up an appointment when I'm further along.
    Everyone's different with regard to breastfeeding, but i just wanted to say that, for me at least, only expressing didn't mean i had a low supply. Bub and i could not get breastfeeding sorted, and i exclusively expressed for him. He was exclusively bottle fed EBM for approx 10 months i think, and he got at least some EBM until he was over 1. Some days i expressed over one litre over the day.

I too saw a LC before I had bub, as i was anticipating problems (inverted nipples), and while it turned out not to be that helpful for me, i would recommend it so you can get some good initial advice and feel a bit more prepared.

I haven't used donor milk, but i think the babies of donor and mother should ideally not be too far apart in terms of age if possible, as BM changes over time -ie milk for a 12mth old is v different to milk for a 1mth old.

Good luck with all of your options ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Everyone's different with regard to breastfeeding, but i just wanted to say that, for me at least, only expressing didn't mean i had a low supply. Bub and i could not get breastfeeding sorted, and i exclusively expressed for him. He was exclusively bottle fed EBM for approx 10 months i think, and he got at least some EBM until he was over 1. Some days i expressed over one litre over the day.

I too saw a LC before I had bub, as i was anticipating problems (inverted nipples), and while it turned out not to be that helpful for me, i would recommend it so you can get some good initial advice and feel a bit more prepared.

I haven't used donor milk, but i think the babies of donor and mother should ideally not be too far apart in terms of age if possible, as BM changes over time -ie milk for a 12mth old is v different to milk for a 1mth old.

Good luck with all of your options ☺
    I would have exclusively expressed last time if I had the supply. The day I stopped I didn't slowly wean down. I just stopped. My boobs never felt full at all.

I hadn't thought about the age thing... My friend that offered to donate, her daughter is a few months older than my daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    well partner said he would be extremely uncomfortable with donated milk and would really prefer I use formula instead of it comes down to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't get too ahead of yourself. You may never need it. Also my DH prob would have said that while I was pregnant (especially with our first) but sometimes people feel differently when the baby who needs it is right in front of them. Start calling cows milk 'cows breast milk' and he might get the idea that if its not your milk then it is milk from another breast so it may as well be the best suited to baby! Good luck. X

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    well partner said he would be extremely uncomfortable with donated milk and would really prefer I use formula instead of it comes down to it
    Hugs for you. I think it should mostly be up to you how you feed your baby, although obviously it would be best to have your partner on board too. If he'd never heard of the idea of donor milk before, he might just have had an initial 'ick' response. He might become more receptive to the idea over time. And also, as PP said, maybe you won't need it after all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I agree Hun, you may not need it. I only fed DD for 4 months and I had trouble weaning DS and fed him for 14 months.

It's good you've had the discussion now so park it for now and bring it up again later.

I must admit personally I wouldn't use donor milk as I see no issue with formula and have no guilt about using it with DD.

How you feed Bub is a joint decision and your DHs feelings are just as relevant, so if you're asking him to keep an open mind, perhaps you can look at why you don't want to use formula. If it's guilt about not feeding possum, perhaps you can work through those feelings with your careers during your pregnancy.

I hope you come to a conclusion with your DH and hopefully it won't even be a decision you need to make

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    He did say if I felt really strongly to get some info for him. He also said that it probably won't change how he feels. He'd prefer formula as he cant control what others put in their bodies before giving milk and thinks collecting etc would become very inconvenient.