+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Donated milk

With my daughter I tried so hard to bf but she absolutely refused. I expressed as much as I could but I could never express much and stopped when she was 10 weeks old (was only getting about 30-40mls a day). That was after trying many different things to increase my supply.

Well I'm pregnant again and I really want to breast feed successfully this time. I've looked into the SNS as a backup and will express again if I need to. My friend has kindly offered to donate milk for the sns. I'd definitely accept but I haven't spoken to my partner about the possibility yet and I honestly don't know that he will feel ok about it.

Has anyone used donated milk? Was your partner on board? If not, how did you convince them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I haven't used donated milk so I hope you don't mind me answering.....

As someone who has done some breastfeeding things that are slightly outside of our societies 'normal' I would suggest not discussing this with people who know nothing about it. The ignorant comments that come out around breastfeeding never ceases to amaze me! Try joining your local human milk for human babies group on Facebook and they will be able to help you with information and support. When you're armed with this info then you can more confidently discuss it with your DP.

If I was in the position to need it, I would use donated milk. If my baby was in nicu and needed milk from the hospital milk bank I would accept without a second thought. In a situation like yours I would use donor milk from any source that I thought was safe but I would be much happier to use milk from a trusted friend. I would be so grateful for their offer. My DP tends to follow my lead on all things breastfeeding so although I know he would find it odd, I know he would find a way to be ok with it because he would trust my judgment. I would not 'ask' him about it. I would tell him that's what I'm doing and why.

Slightly off topic but do you think an appointment with a ibclc to discuss what happened with your supply last time would help? Did you realise that you can meet with lc's in pregnancy? Hopefully things will be different and you won't need to take your friend up on the offer. Good luck. Xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi! I haven't used donated milk so I hope you don't mind me answering.....

As someone who has done some breastfeeding things that are slightly outside of our societies 'normal' I would suggest not discussing this with people who know nothing about it. The ignorant comments that come out around breastfeeding never ceases to amaze me! Try joining your local human milk for human babies group on Facebook and they will be able to help you with information and support. When you're armed with this info then you can more confidently discuss it with your DP.

If I was in the position to need it, I would use donated milk. If my baby was in nicu and needed milk from the hospital milk bank I would accept without a second thought. In a situation like yours I would use donor milk from any source that I thought was safe but I would be much happier to use milk from a trusted friend. I would be so grateful for their offer. My DP tends to follow my lead on all things breastfeeding so although I know he would find it odd, I know he would find a way to be ok with it because he would trust my judgment. I would not 'ask' him about it. I would tell him that's what I'm doing and why.

Slightly off topic but do you think an appointment with a ibclc to discuss what happened with your supply last time would help? Did you realise that you can meet with lc's in pregnancy? Hopefully things will be different and you won't need to take your friend up on the offer. Good luck. Xxx
    Thanks so much for your reply. I don't plan on discussing it with anyone except my partner. I don't think it's anyone else's business. I'm part of a Facebook group that donates. I haven't posted on there though.

I discussed my supply last time and they said they think it never got established due to not actually breast feeding, only expressing. I've lost 22kgs since then so I'm a healthier weight. Hopefully that helps.

I didn't know I could see a LC during pregnancy. Thanks for that info. I'll set up an appointment when I'm further along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply. I don't plan on discussing it with anyone except my partner. I don't think it's anyone else's business. I'm part of a Facebook group that donates. I haven't posted on there though.

I discussed my supply last time and they said they think it never got established due to not actually breast feeding, only expressing. I've lost 22kgs since then so I'm a healthier weight. Hopefully that helps.

I didn't know I could see a LC during pregnancy. Thanks for that info. I'll set up an appointment when I'm further along.
    Hi! I have not used donated milk but do know of people who have.

A few things (and the LC is a great idea. To see during pregnancy and also post).

I don't necessarily think it is because you were expressing that you did not have much milk. There are women who do not produce much milk. Kellymom has a great link http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ndular-tissue/

With IGT it is very very possible to have a long BF journey - and even end up being soley BF without using donor milk after a while (someone I know has IGT).

There is also a lot of other things you can do to boost milk supply. Again a LC can discuss this with you.

And every pregnancy and BF journey is different. I don't have much experience as I am only pregnant with my 2nd!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That link mentions pcos... Could have been the problem. If it was, I don't think my hormones have improved since then. I needed clomid to ovulate to get this baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    That link mentions pcos... Could have been the problem. If it was, I don't think my hormones have improved since then. I needed clomid to ovulate to get this baby.
    It is linked to PCOS and it is something noone ever mentions when you are diagnosed with PCOS.

I was also going to suggest that The Milk Meg is a LC in Australia that has great resources. She is based on the Gold Coast I think but does skype consults etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my low supply with DD down to my PCOS, I read lots about the possibility before I had her but dont think I had prepared myself for the possibility enough. It was a very hard decision to change to bottle feeding but when I look back it was the right thing at the time. If I become lucky enough to conceive again I would definitely try and look into something like this to try so will follow your post with interest so good luck hun. Can I ask if you are on metformin through your pregnancy this time as I have heard it can improve supply in PCOS and I didn't take it through my pregnancy with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyside View Post
    I put my low supply with DD down to my PCOS, I read lots about the possibility before I had her but dont think I had prepared myself for the possibility enough. It was a very hard decision to change to bottle feeding but when I look back it was the right thing at the time. If I become lucky enough to conceive again I would definitely try and look into something like this to try so will follow your post with interest so good luck hun. Can I ask if you are on metformin through your pregnancy this time as I have heard it can improve supply in PCOS and I didn't take it through my pregnancy with DD.
    I've never been on it as I'm not insulin resistant. I wonder what things you can do to overcome it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't used donor milk but in my circles that is very common (along with wet nursing)

I would think about what potential issues he might have and have the answers and info ready. Does your DH know the friend, if so I think that might help.

Good luck.