+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In all honesty, the only reason I don't let my 3yo, 6yo and 8yo boys change alone in the male changerooms is because they are stupid boys who would either a) get distracted being stupid boys and just sit there not actually getting changed, or b) struggle to dry themselves off properly causing it to be difficult to get dry clothes on (because let's face it, getting dried off and dressed at the pool is never as easy as after a hot soapy shower at home).

But, it's not an issue for us, we either go to the local pool which is 3mins drive away, so we just wrap up in towels and drive home to get changed, or we go to the big city pool as a family, so DH takes the big two boys, and I take DD and the 3yo boy with me.

I do think, however, that if pools are going to place arbitrary age limits on when boys need to stop going in the female change rooms with their mothers, then they need to provide adequate family change rooms.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Californication  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Didn't you say you changed your SK by the side of the pool? Or you can change in the car, or at home.
    All sucky options IMO, yes, but again, why do you feel you can take away the girls option just because the boys don't have a good one?

I find it the absolute opposite actually- that girls are not important enough to have their own privacy respected, and that boys are allowed to just waltz in at any time to a room of naked girls. Can you really not see that?

I know it's not fair that boys have a good option. But you can't just take away the girls option just to 'make it even'. That's just silly.
    No, I said I don't cover them anymore, and that they will change wherever.
    I can't have an opinion just because my kids are not self-conscious?
    We don't have a car, and they'd have to travel 1.5hrs on public transport wet otherwise.

It's not taking away the girls option. It's keeping BOTH my children safe, not picking which I prefer. They hardly waltz in, they are supervised by a parent.

ETA: My husband will take both of them into the men's change room if he is doing the swim run.
    As an adult, I can't go into the men's and he can't go into the women's. So our kids both go with whoever is the parent there.
    Last edited by DT75; 10-02-2016 at 17:20.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    No one is saying you have to send a boy into the male changerooms to get attacked. But you can certainly choose not to bring them into the female changerooms, where they don't belong.
    So based on this, how would I deal with my 3yo DD and 6yo DS? I'm not sending him to the men's. Am I supposed to leave him outside unattended while I deal with DD? Or does she have to be changed outside too because she has a brother? Meaning neither has a right to privacy??

Going home wet isn't really an option for us - we live 40kms from the beach and 20kms from the pool. Not so bad in summer, but no way would I do it after lessons in winter!

I understand older girls don't want to be watched. It's why I teach my kids not to look. If my DD doesn't want boys looking at her when she's older, I'll hold a towel up for her. But I'm not going to tell a mum with a little boy she can't come in because he doesn't belong there!!

I'm not sure there's an easy answer really. Even if we did have parent rooms - I wouldn't like it if I was in one and a male came in with his kids while I was getting changed. Big cubicles would be better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To be honest I'm a bit prudish about my body. I don't get changed out in an open change room. I'd rather get changed in a toilet cubicle (oh flame me for being so disgusting 😜) If my DD wants the same privacy and bodily autonomy then I would get her to change in a toilet cubicle with door shut. Yes I understand the issue about young boys needing a safe place but also would definitely prefer boys above 8-10 years old not entering women's change rooms. But in the absence of an alternative well I don't know what the alternative is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd feel uncomfortable if there was a boy aged 8-10 watching me disrobe in a change room. same as you gingermillie, I'd go to a toilet cubicle and close the door.

I don't really like changing in front of anyone, male or female, unless it's like my sisters or dh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmmm... i would not like to think that any negative connotations are flowing towards 6, 8,10 year old boys. Stating that you would feel uncomfortable if an 8 year old boy was watching you get changed is inferring the child is doing something 'wrong'. Adults, do what you need to do, use a change room but please dont infer a negative attitude towards children.
    Last edited by littleriv; 10-02-2016 at 19:31.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hmmmm... i would not like to think that any negative connotations are flowing towards 6, 8,10 year old boys. Stating that you would feel uncomfortable if an 8 year old boy was watching you get changed is inferring the child is doing something 'wrong'. Adults, do what you need to do, use a change room but please dont infer a negative attitude towards children.
    I'm just stating my opinion and how I'd feel!!

I hate how you can't say anything on here without getting flamed!!

I'm not inferring anything. was just saying i'd not feel comfortable changing in front of someone else who's old enough to know boobs are a ladies rude bits. Jesus christ!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are expressing your view and i am expressing mine. This is all part of a conversation. I am not flaming you. Sorry you had that reaction.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Deleted. Posted by 2 year old.
    I might claim that next time I get an infraction!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Safety trumps embarrassment in my book. If my older daughter was embarrassed I would tell her to pop into a toilet cubicle to change into her underwear or hold up a towel for her. No way I will be letting my young boys use public toilets and change rooms on their own for a very very long time.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xyz987 For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (11-02-2016),Sally1981  (11-02-2016)