+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    555
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our swim school has a sign saying children under 12 are to be accompanied byan adult atvall times in the change rooms. Given it is usually mums who do swimming it is just assumed boys will be in there.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    just for another view I have a 10 year old daughter who would be mortified if she had to change in front of a boy older than 6. She always changes in cubicles in case a boy comes in. And no she doesn't think he will do anything to her she's just at an age where she's very self aware. And I respect that. I have an almost 5 year old son so I see it from both sides.

    I just wrap a towel around my son and he changes wherever. Or we all go home wet.
    Yes, this.
    I understand that the 'no over 6's' rule makes things difficult, but I guess it's only when you have a daughter who gets anxious about going into her same-sex change room because there might be boys in there looking at her while she's naked, including boys that she goes to school with, then you might understand why that rule is necessary. Girls have a right to comfortably use the female change room.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (10-02-2016),PomPoms  (10-02-2016)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Our swim school has a sign saying children under 12 are to be accompanied byan adult atvall times in the change rooms. Given it is usually mums who do swimming it is just assumed boys will be in there.
    12?! I hope they have an abundance of fully enclosed individual shower/change rooms.
    Kids bodies are going through changes by that age, they need privacy.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (10-02-2016)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yes, this.
    I understand that the 'no over 6's' rule makes things difficult, but I guess it's only when you have a daughter who gets anxious about going into her same-sex change room because there might be boys in there looking at her while she's naked, including boys that she goes to school with, then you might understand why that rule is necessary. Girls have a right to comfortably use the female change room.
    True. However if facilities are crap and not accommodating for families what's more important? That a young 6 year old boy doesn't have to change alone in front of strange people or that a girl feels comfortable changing without having to go into a toilet? I just see the exclusion option to involve more dangers.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Sally1981  (10-02-2016)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    True. However if facilities are crap and not accommodating for families what's more important? That a young 6 year old boy doesn't have to change alone in front of strange people or that a girl feels comfortable changing without having to go into a toilet? I just see the exclusion option to involve more dangers.
    Girls and boys are equally important. I get what you're saying (I have boys as well as a girl), but it doesn't make sense to take away the girls already-existing good changeroom option just because the boys don't have a good changeroom option. Saying "if we can't have it then you can't have it either" is selfish IMO.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    773
    Thanked
    216
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If we had no family change rooms and the boys were too old to take into the girls bathroom (according to the rules they are too old but I'm talking about my opinion not their rules) I would just take then home wet. Glad I don't have to worry because we have family change rooms, though you have to fight to get them haha

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Girls and boys are equally important. I get what you're saying (I have boys as well as a girl), but it doesn't make sense to take away the girls already-existing good changeroom option just because the boys don't have a good changeroom option. Saying "if we can't have it then you can't have it either" is selfish IMO.

    It may be selfish, (although I don't think anyone does it with that attitude), but if it keeps my child safe I don't care. I would rather have my 8 year old in the female change room with me where people might be uncomfortable, than in the male room alone and get attacked.

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    Gentoo  (10-02-2016),GlitterFarts  (10-02-2016),littleriv  (10-02-2016),Sally1981  (10-02-2016),VicPark  (10-02-2016)

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    It may be selfish, (although I don't think anyone does it with that attitude), but if it keeps my child safe I don't care. I would rather have my 8 year old in the female change room with me where people might be uncomfortable, than in the male room alone and get attacked.
    I agree I would never send my son in to a change room either. I just find it easier to get changed at home.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (10-02-2016),DT75  (10-02-2016),VicPark  (10-02-2016)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    949
    Thanked
    604
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It extends beyond swimming pool change rooms, to a problem with public toilets in general. As a mum of two boys, I've already wondered how we'll address this when they're older, but still not old enough for me to be comfortable letting them go in to public toilets by themself. At the moment, the only solution I can see is that they'll have to use the disabled toilets.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

    At the moment, the only solution I can see is that they'll have to use the disabled toilets.
    Correct.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (10-02-2016),Gentoo  (10-02-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sharing rooms help?
    By Kaileysmum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-04-2015, 22:41
  2. Feeding rooms ... are NOT toilets !!!!
    By BH-KatiesMum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14-03-2015, 10:38
  3. where is the best parent rooms you have been to?
    By BH-KatiesMum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-03-2015, 20:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!