+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our swim school has a sign saying children under 12 are to be accompanied byan adult atvall times in the change rooms. Given it is usually mums who do swimming it is just assumed boys will be in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    just for another view I have a 10 year old daughter who would be mortified if she had to change in front of a boy older than 6. She always changes in cubicles in case a boy comes in. And no she doesn't think he will do anything to her she's just at an age where she's very self aware. And I respect that. I have an almost 5 year old son so I see it from both sides.

I just wrap a towel around my son and he changes wherever. Or we all go home wet.
    Yes, this.
    I understand that the 'no over 6's' rule makes things difficult, but I guess it's only when you have a daughter who gets anxious about going into her same-sex change room because there might be boys in there looking at her while she's naked, including boys that she goes to school with, then you might understand why that rule is necessary. Girls have a right to comfortably use the female change room.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-02-2016),PomPoms  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Our swim school has a sign saying children under 12 are to be accompanied byan adult atvall times in the change rooms. Given it is usually mums who do swimming it is just assumed boys will be in there.
    12?! I hope they have an abundance of fully enclosed individual shower/change rooms.
    Kids bodies are going through changes by that age, they need privacy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yes, this.
    I understand that the 'no over 6's' rule makes things difficult, but I guess it's only when you have a daughter who gets anxious about going into her same-sex change room because there might be boys in there looking at her while she's naked, including boys that she goes to school with, then you might understand why that rule is necessary. Girls have a right to comfortably use the female change room.
    True. However if facilities are crap and not accommodating for families what's more important? That a young 6 year old boy doesn't have to change alone in front of strange people or that a girl feels comfortable changing without having to go into a toilet? I just see the exclusion option to involve more dangers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    True. However if facilities are crap and not accommodating for families what's more important? That a young 6 year old boy doesn't have to change alone in front of strange people or that a girl feels comfortable changing without having to go into a toilet? I just see the exclusion option to involve more dangers.
    Girls and boys are equally important. I get what you're saying (I have boys as well as a girl), but it doesn't make sense to take away the girls already-existing good changeroom option just because the boys don't have a good changeroom option. Saying "if we can't have it then you can't have it either" is selfish IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If we had no family change rooms and the boys were too old to take into the girls bathroom (according to the rules they are too old but I'm talking about my opinion not their rules) I would just take then home wet. Glad I don't have to worry because we have family change rooms, though you have to fight to get them haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Girls and boys are equally important. I get what you're saying (I have boys as well as a girl), but it doesn't make sense to take away the girls already-existing good changeroom option just because the boys don't have a good changeroom option. Saying "if we can't have it then you can't have it either" is selfish IMO.

It may be selfish, (although I don't think anyone does it with that attitude), but if it keeps my child safe I don't care. I would rather have my 8 year old in the female change room with me where people might be uncomfortable, than in the male room alone and get attacked.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (10-02-2016),GlitterFarts  (10-02-2016),littleriv  (10-02-2016),Sally1981  (10-02-2016),VicPark  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    It may be selfish, (although I don't think anyone does it with that attitude), but if it keeps my child safe I don't care. I would rather have my 8 year old in the female change room with me where people might be uncomfortable, than in the male room alone and get attacked.
    I agree I would never send my son in to a change room either. I just find it easier to get changed at home.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-02-2016),DT75  (10-02-2016),VicPark  (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It extends beyond swimming pool change rooms, to a problem with public toilets in general. As a mum of two boys, I've already wondered how we'll address this when they're older, but still not old enough for me to be comfortable letting them go in to public toilets by themself. At the moment, the only solution I can see is that they'll have to use the disabled toilets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

At the moment, the only solution I can see is that they'll have to use the disabled toilets.
    Correct.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-02-2016),Gentoo  (10-02-2016)