+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Organ donation is so personal and there are so many factors at play - I know when DH was getting worked up to potentially donate to me, his mum thought he was being forced into it.
    The psych testing is sooooo important because of exactly what you've said - would you be ok with being a live donor for someone to go and bungee jump or drink excessively or take up smoking? If you aren't then you shouldn't be a live donor.
    That wasn't meant to sound judgemental at all - I feel so close to this topic that I never know if I'm being inappropriate!
    No judgement taken. My family know they can't force me to do anytjing hehe. I seriously considered it but no effort to change her lifestyle had been made. I would happily offer if I knew she even had the best intentions of changing. If someone else close to me needed it and wasn't making such poor decisions I wouldn't be as hesitant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am, have been since I turned 18. Something I've always felt strongly about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I just read that only 1% of deaths in Australia occur under the circumstances in which donation can happen, and then they still have to be a match. In 2014 only 378 people donated. That's a bit sobering.

Eta-that 378 included NZ too.
    Unless donating a kidney, liver segment, bone marrow etc the whole thing relies upon another's death, and in the case of traumatic death, it's kinda a good thing the numbers are low.

As you touched on before Ngaiz, harvesting organs is the last thing on the doctors mind when it comes to providing treatment to the critically ill.
    So for anyone worried that this might be the case, saving & sustaining life comes before everything else.

Working in ED sadly I have been involved in such tragic cases, organ donation does not even enter into the equation, these decisions take place afterwards.

Many years ago, in the UK there was a scandal in relation to medics obtaining 'human parts' against the wishes of family or the deceased.. for a while I 'opted out' of organ donation. But I've came to my senses now.

For anyone that isn't sure or is against, I ask them this.. would you be happy to receive organs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmcnally87 View Post
    I have put undecided on my licence, however family knows that I do want to donate - my mum is a nurse and explained that if you put down your an organ doner they can take your organs etc before family has seen you. And I think is important for family to say their goodbyes etc...
    That is most definitely not true. Having it on your license is merely an indicator of your wishes. It is not a legally binding statement or contract. NOTHING can be done to your body without the express consent of your next of kin (except in events of needing emergency surgery and not being able to contact NOK etc where you will basically die or be severely injured if they didn't act). Don't know where your mum is a nurse, but she's way off base there.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (07-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmcnally87 View Post
    I have put undecided on my licence, however family knows that I do want to donate - my mum is a nurse and explained that if you put down your an organ doner they can take your organs etc before family has seen you. And I think is important for family to say their goodbyes etc...
    Definitely not correct. In fact your family can dispute your wishes though and not consent to organ donation even if it was your wish. They can't touch you until they have been in contact with family and gone through it all with them.

I am a donor but not everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought they recently changed the legislation and now family cannot dispute?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yes, I have registered many years ago. im not sure who else in my family is, but I certainly have registered. marie