+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Well this is a topic very close to my heart, or should I say kidney.
    Eight months and five days ago I received the ultimate gift of an organ.
    Not a day goes by that I don't think of my donor and her family and the incredible, generous decision they made.
    It changed our lives.
    All my family are registered and we would donate our childrens organs should such a tragic event unfold.
    If anyone is interested to read more, this is the thread I started after I got the phone call http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...t=Go+Kidney+Go
    Re-reading this post made me think of my cousin. She is in renal failure and on the transplant list (diabetic since she was 11and now 35). I have 62 first cousins (Dad is one of 14) and no one has offered to see if they are a match, not even her siblings (screw our beliefs, your sister is essentially dying!). I thought about it for some time but deciding factors were that despite knowing she shouldn't drink in excess and should do all the 'right' things to manage her diabetes she refuses and knowing she is in renal failure has not changed this. This may seem nasty but I believe there is someone out there more deserving of my kidney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was going to reply to @PomPoms but I can't see her posts anymore.

My reason for asking about children is having kids made me change my mind completely about organ donation. Prior to children I was ambivalent. Now I am 100% a yes. DH has always been a donor. My kids would be too.

We had frozen embryos left over after IVF which we donated to research. I am very comfortable with donation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I feel like I need to say that I completely respect everyone's choice to do what they want with their own bodies - my MIL would never donate.
    I didn't post my story to try and guilt anyone into anything, just to show one grateful recipients journey xx
    I wonder why there are such long waiting lists. Is it because not enough people donate, not enough people are suitable when they pass or that it's just really hard to find a match.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I wonder why there are such long waiting lists. Is it because not enough people donate, not enough people are suitable when they pass or that it's just really hard to find a match.
    The number of people suitable for donation is incredibly small.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Yes I'm a registered donor.

I think organ donation is amazing

I recently saw a very heartwarming clip where a mother met the little girl who received the donated heart from her deceased child. There were lots of tears and the mother listened to the girl's heartbeat with a stethoscope. Powerful stuff.
    It was beautiful but wouldn't be possible here. It must be a completely anonymous process.
    I wrote a letter to say thank you but couldn't put any identifying info in there.
    Sometimes I wish I could hug my donors family - have them meet my crazy kids and see what they gave us.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (08-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I just read that only 1% of deaths in Australia occur under the circumstances in which donation can happen, and then they still have to be a match. In 2014 only 378 people donated. That's a bit sobering.

Eta-that 378 included NZ too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The number of people suitable for donation is incredibly small.
    I'm probably hormonal but that makes me really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was beautiful but wouldn't be possible here. It must be a completely anonymous process.
    I wrote a letter to say thank you but couldn't put any identifying info in there.
    Sometimes I wish I could hug my donors family - have them meet my crazy kids and see what they gave us.
    That's really disapointing. I'm sure they would love to meet you too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Re-reading this post made me think of my cousin. She is in renal failure and on the transplant list (diabetic since she was 11and now 35). I have 62 first cousins (Dad is one of 14) and no one has offered to see if they are a match, not even her siblings (screw our beliefs, your sister is essentially dying!). I thought about it for some time but deciding factors were that despite knowing she shouldn't drink in excess and should do all the 'right' things to manage her diabetes she refuses and knowing she is in renal failure has not changed this. This may seem nasty but I believe there is someone out there more deserving of my kidney.
    I can see where you are coming from. If she won't look after it why should you give something away that is so special to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Organ donation is so personal and there are so many factors at play - I know when DH was getting worked up to potentially donate to me, his mum thought he was being forced into it.
    The psych testing is sooooo important because of exactly what you've said - would you be ok with being a live donor for someone to go and bungee jump or drink excessively or take up smoking? If you aren't then you shouldn't be a live donor.
    That wasn't meant to sound judgemental at all - I feel so close to this topic that I never know if I'm being inappropriate!