+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    My whole family plans to donate our whole bodies for scientific research and medical training. You can sign up at your local university anatomy department.
    We've talked about it and would donate anything useful if something happened to our children too.
    I've wondered if you can do this if your body isn't suitable for organ donation? I have a hard time deciding between the two but think I would like my organs donated if possible as a first line.

I know my pops brain was donated to research as he died of Alzheimer's and it was important to everyone we do anything we could to help research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'm a big believer in it. If my/DH's/kids organs could help/save upto 20 odd people I think it is, it would be one way of salvaging positive something from the grief.
    I was very moved by the recent death of the young man in Brisbane who's organs were donated to more than 6 different people.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Californication  (07-02-2016),Gentoo  (07-02-2016),Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you an organ donor?

I'm an organ donor. It's something I feel very passionately about. My brother is currently waiting for a kidney and pancreas transplant. His life is literally now reliant on the ultimate gift from a stranger. Knowing how my whole family feels right now, I'd hate for my organs to go to waste if I passed. If I can help another family after I'm gone then I definitely want to do it.

Eta - if anyone isn't currently a registered organ donor but wants to be then this is the website you need https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...donor-register . Ticking the box on your licence isn't enough.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (07-02-2016),Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely. Once I'm gone, I won't need my organs anymore and I would die happy knowing that multiple people would be able to live a relatively normal life because of me. I made my decision when I was 12/13 and I saw a movie called Nicholas' Gift. It was based on a true story about a young boy who was shot in a drive by shooting while on holiday in Italy who was became brain dead after the shooting. His parents (Jamie-Lee Curtis played the mum) decided to donate his organs and another little boy in the same hospital received his heart. It was such an emotional movie and it's what solidified the decision for me.

I've had this discussion many times over so my family ALL know that it's what I want. Mum struggles with the concept though, because as a mother she wants to be there for my last breath if I die before her and she doesn't know if she could effectively let me die in an operating theatre surrounded by strangers. Luckily my DH is my next of kin now so mums word is not the final one! I don't know if she would actually go against my wishes, but I know it's an internal struggle she has. FWIW she will donate her organs if she can, she just doesn't want to be the one to make the final decision for someone else!

I remember years ago at the pharmacy I worked at we had this regular elderly man called Geoffrey. He was the sweetest and dearest old man you could ever come across - would've been a right spunk in his younger years. He was a bachelor, never found the right woman so was all alone in his twilight years. I was so fascinated when he told us that he was donating his body to science when he died. I just hope the medical students at UQ treated his body with the respect he deserved. I think he had emphysema or some other respiratory condition which is why he wanted to donate his body - so further research could be done. He knew at 90 odd no one would want his organs, so this was his way of giving back.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-02-2016),Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am. So is DH. I signed up after discussing it in a legal studies class in Year 11! We spoke about the legal systems around the world with regards to organ donation. Such an interesting discussion and a real eye opener for my teenage self who had never considered it at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, DH and I are both organ donars. If anything ever happened to our daughters, I would donate their organs too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am registered as an organ donor and have been since I turned 18. That being said, I am a donor on the condition that my eyes and skin won't be harvested. Incredibly selfish of me I know, as I probably won't be needing them after I die. But I just couldn't get past the 'ick factor'.

DH is not a donor and when I broach the subject with him he appears very unsettled. We have a niece (on his side of the family) who has received an organ and still needs another, so I am unsure as to his hesitation. Then again I can't really justify my own conditions regarding donating organs so I'm not about to try and convince him otherwise. It is such a personal choice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I didn't even know you can sign your kids up!
    My kids weren't officially signed up it was just something I made known to my family and their father.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently a lot of people opt out of organ donation because they think that doctors won't try as hard to save their lives in an emergency - because their death could equal many other lives saved.
    Thoughts? I've only read this on American sites, not heard it from anyone in Australia.