+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chicken mushroom and spinach risotto recipe required

Hello fellow hubbers.
    Does anyone have a chicken and mushroom risotto recipe they are willing to share? Ive never made one before and would like to make it for dinner tonight.
    Thanks heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Chicken mushroom and spinach risotto recipe required

I'm a bit of a risotto queen and honestly, you can use any recipe. how good a risotto is hangs in the following:

choice of stock (I prefer homemade as its much more full flavored and less salty).

make sure you use risotto rice (arborio). I've seen people try and make it with medium or long grain rice. just wtf!?

season and keep tasting. if using store bought stock I'd go Campbell's salt reduced. do not add salt whilst cooking. add a spritz of pepper here and there but you can season to taste at the end or upon serving.

Parmesan cheese: for the love of Christ do not buy that powdered sh.t that reeks of rotting dirty feet. I usually buy a pre grated one as I'm a bit lazy but you can buy a small knob and grate yourself. doesn't have to be a pricey one, even just the Coles brand grated Parmesan is ok. can be added after you've finished cooking or upon serving, to suit taste of each diner.

cook the ingredients separately and bring together at the end. eg sauté your mushies and fry the chicken pieces then once your rice is cooked and nice and creamy, chuck it all together and give it a stir and let it have another 5 or so mins on the hob all together then serve.

add hot stock (must be hot) to the rice a few ladles at a time and stir gently to distribute amongst the rice evenly. add more once the rice has absorbed the liquid and starts to feel dry or like its sticking to bottom of pan.

don't overcook rice. my dh does this and it annoys me lol.

don't add cream or any other diary (besides the cheese). if so inclined, you can add a couple of small knobs of butter right at the end for richness but honestly you don't really need it. my dh does this but it's only because he likes to go a bit OTT 😂

here's a pic of a recent risotto I madeImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1454804680.895685.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1454804704.329736.jpg

this was a roasted pumpkin, leek and spinach risotto. was yummy.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (07-02-2016),Sethysmum  (07-02-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't like mushrooms and don't usually use spinach in my risotto but I use this recipe and j don't think it would be hard to adapt.
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2242...shroom+risotto
    I leave the mushrooms out and add roasted pumpkin or sweet potato instead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had risotto for ages. I have a couple of recipes, you have given me inspiration for dinner.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (07-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I haven't had risotto for ages. I have a couple of recipes, you have given me inspiration for dinner.
    my cousin also made a giant batch and froze it into individual portions when she had bub number 2. it freezes and reheats well I'm told. I'm planning to do this at some stage, maybe later this week.

I want go-to meal options once bub is here so we don't have to cook much lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (07-02-2016),Sethysmum  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my cousin also made a giant batch and froze it into individual portions when she had bub number 2. it freezes and reheats well I'm told. I'm planning to do this at some stage, maybe later this week.

I want go-to meal options once bub is here so we don't have to cook much lol

That's a real good idea. I was thinking of doing a big lasagne to freeze, but wasn't sure on other options. When I told DP my plans to cook n freeze, he was like, I can cook you know. You don't have to haha....Relax DP, I was only trying to make it easier.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have a recipe for an "oven-baked" risotto, and I liked it because it was fairly low-fat.
    Do any of you guys know/use such a recipe?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    never heard of an oven bake one but I guess in theory it would work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Campbells have a recipe for an oven baked one.