+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BLW - constipation and general advice pls!!

Hello.

I have a 7.5mth old DD. I've gone down the Baby Led Weaning ( BLW ) route from 6mths as she's fiercely independent, cried when I tried to spoon feed her and loves food and feeding herself. I agree with the philosophy and it's right for us.

We are only upto one meal a day ( dinner ) and maybe some fruit mid morning. Still exclusively breasted.

My concern is that she's gone from 4 poo's a day to one very uncomfortable one. It's got seeds from bread and bits of food in it so when she's going she gives a little cry. She's also waking every hour due to a sore tummy I think.

My question is.. Is this normal and how long till it passes? Is there anything I can do to help?

I don't want to give purées but she seems to have trouble passing proper food

We offer water with every meal and it's only good stuff like green veggies, carrot, bit of white fish etc..

I've also copped a few looks and comments for doing BLW and am the only one in my circle of friends/mothers group.

What do you generally say to not be rude but stay firm in your decision. So many opinionated people out there 😞

( we are 100% on BLW so no negative comments pls )

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My second got lots of constipation for the first month or two of solids (BLW) I would put a prune or two in boiling water a few minutes then give him the prune to eat when it'd cooled, he loved that. I would also give pear spears, if they were in season and really ripe I'd give them as is, if not I'd lightly boil them till just soft.

I found bananas were bad for constipation so limited them at the beginning.

It did take a little while but they both adjusted to the new foods. TBH I think the constipation would have happened on purée or BLW.

As for comments, we never really got any negative ones so can't help. On the contrary I had to ask others not to comment on another family member as she did purée and people thought that was silly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What bread are you giving her? Seeded bread is not really recommended as they can't digest the seeds properly

Constipation can be quite normal when starting solids as her little body is getting used to digesting them - try up her fruit intake and keep offering water - what dinners are you offering?

I am a huge BLW fan and did it exclusively with DS from 6 months as have now all my friends and family ( we took my 9 month old niece to yum cha last week for the first time and she had a blast!)

A lot of negativity can come from not really understanding it - it is honestly the way most babies were fed before purées and cereals were introduced , people were shocked at first watching DS eat whole foods by 9 months but that is what their bodies are designed to do! It doesn't work for all babies and parents but is becoming for common again which is great

As for people commenting I always used to just say that we just simply skipped the puree stage and went straight to whole foods , it's easier not to argue just say that's what works for you and over time they will see for themselves how it works

I have tons of food ideas if you need them, good luck with it all !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to give DD a couple of pieces of canned pear - the ones that are in big segments. Or you could steam/cook some fresh pear if you prefer.
    She would just pick it up & eat it. We'd get s BM within 12 hours.
    DD struggled a bit with BM from 7-10 months as her food intake was increasing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What bread are you giving her? Seeded bread is not really recommended as they can't digest the seeds properly

Constipation can be quite normal when starting solids as her little body is getting used to digesting them - try up her fruit intake and keep offering water - what dinners are you offering?

I am a huge BLW fan and did it exclusively with DS from 6 months as have now all my friends and family ( we took my 9 month old niece to yum cha last week for the first time and she had a blast!)

A lot of negativity can come from not really understanding it - it is honestly the way most babies were fed before purées and cereals were introduced , people were shocked at first watching DS eat whole foods by 9 months but that is what their bodies are designed to do! It doesn't work for all babies and parents but is becoming for common again which is great

As for people commenting I always used to just say that we just simply skipped the puree stage and went straight to whole foods , it's easier not to argue just say that's what works for you and over time they will see for themselves how it works

I have tons of food ideas if you need them, good luck with it all !
    Thanks so much!

I've realised I probably need to change our bread. We have Helga's multigrain but it makes sense to get an unseeded one.

The negative comments are actually from a friend whose a child care worker. Not able to monitor volume bla bla. Not getting enough food hence poor sleeper etc. I know it's garbage as DD loves stuffing her face with pretty much everything we give her! - I also beg to differ when I look at her nappy and food definitely gets through.

We give her green beans, broccoli, carrot, white fish, chicken, pasta, toast with avo, lentil soup etc.

I'm a dairy free pescatarian but have agreed for her to try chicken and beef/lamb.

Any suitable recipes would be great thanks!

I also was giving her a teething rusk a day which she loved. I've stopped them now tho as the ingredients may also clog her up.. What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I used to give DD a couple of pieces of canned pear - the ones that are in big segments. Or you could steam/cook some fresh pear if you prefer.
    She would just pick it up & eat it. We'd get s BM within 12 hours.
    DD struggled a bit with BM from 7-10 months as her food intake was increasing.
    Thank you . Sorry, what's BM??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    My second got lots of constipation for the first month or two of solids (BLW) I would put a prune or two in boiling water a few minutes then give him the prune to eat when it'd cooled, he loved that. I would also give pear spears, if they were in season and really ripe I'd give them as is, if not I'd lightly boil them till just soft.

I found bananas were bad for constipation so limited them at the beginning.

It did take a little while but they both adjusted to the new foods. TBH I think the constipation would have happened on purée or BLW.

As for comments, we never really got any negative ones so can't help. On the contrary I had to ask others not to comment on another family member as she did purée and people thought that was silly!
    Thanks @shani2

I may try the prune. Do you mean buy dried prunes and boil them?

Interesting about the banana. I gave her some in the hope it would move things along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeh I would stop the teething rusks, I would always give DS cucumber sticks ( skin on , cut in half) or whole apples or corn cobs to chew on, they can't bite off any big pieces but gum off little pieces and chomp down which is great to help push their teeth through!

I used to make crab cakes ( crab is higher in b12 than beef) salmon nuggets or just veggie nuggets which were a brilliant whole meal that's easy to take to other people's houses or when you go out and there is no appropriate food for her - play around with what you like but I just added the crab/salmon or any protein cooked and shredded with a few grated veggies ( carrot, zucchini, peas, corn, broccoli ect) chia seeds, fresh herbs ( parsley usually) and an egg and some rice crumbs - made them into cakes or shapes and either oven baked them or pan fried in a little coconut oil also falafels are a great BLW food!

I'm also a pescatarian so did struggle if I should give DS meat but decide too as I wanted him to try a variety of foods ( he can make his own decisions later ) so I gave him lamb cutlets ( just grilled medium rare ) and he just sucked/gummed off little bits of meat - I also gave him poached chicken strips or made chicken or beef meatballs ( grass fed or organic meat and chicken and eggs if you can!)

We always go down to our local pubs restaurant for dinner usually once a month with friends and I usually get the bbq baby octopus, it's DS fav meal - He's been eating since he was literally 9 months old and people thought it very weird but it's just what he is used too so he thinks it's quite normal! So don't be afraid to let him try anything and everything , we are the only ones who seem to put limits on what babies should like !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Thank you . Sorry, what's BM??
    BM = bowel movement 💩
    We've had major constipation issues with DD who's now just over 7 months. I had wanted to do full BLW but as she was a bit prem and getting pressure to get her eating I've been trying purée for 2 months with finger foods added in. I say trying as she's not into eating full stop at the moment 😁
    She's exclusively breastfed and eating minimal solids but has had severe constipation for a month - hard small pellets screaming and crying with extreme discomfort every time she has to go. It's awful.
    To get things going make sure you offer a small amount of water with each solid meal - 20/30ml. You can try some diluted prune juice also. Perhaps try solid prunes (dried ones rehydrated in hot water). If you purée them they go to a thick paste which is manageable for BLW. Pears are also helpful. Foods to avoid are Apple, banana and anything cereal based as these will back things up.
    Unfortunately we did all of this (DD has pear for brekky every day and I try to sneak prune into whatever else she eats) and none of it has helped so the paed has put her on actilax 5ml per day which after 2 weeks is still not helping so we need to look at it again this week.
    Hopefully one of these gentle approaches and diet modification helps get things moving its awful seeing them in pain and discomfort from constipation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yeh I would stop the teething rusks, I would always give DS cucumber sticks ( skin on , cut in half) or whole apples or corn cobs to chew on, they can't bite off any big pieces but gum off little pieces and chomp down which is great to help push their teeth through!

I used to make crab cakes ( crab is higher in b12 than beef) salmon nuggets or just veggie nuggets which were a brilliant whole meal that's easy to take to other people's houses or when you go out and there is no appropriate food for her - play around with what you like but I just added the crab/salmon or any protein cooked and shredded with a few grated veggies ( carrot, zucchini, peas, corn, broccoli ect) chia seeds, fresh herbs ( parsley usually) and an egg and some rice crumbs - made them into cakes or shapes and either oven baked them or pan fried in a little coconut oil also falafels are a great BLW food!

I'm also a pescatarian so did struggle if I should give DS meat but decide too as I wanted him to try a variety of foods ( he can make his own decisions later ) so I gave him lamb cutlets ( just grilled medium rare ) and he just sucked/gummed off little bits of meat - I also gave him poached chicken strips or made chicken or beef meatballs ( grass fed or organic meat and chicken and eggs if you can!)

We always go down to our local pubs restaurant for dinner usually once a month with friends and I usually get the bbq baby octopus, it's DS fav meal - He's been eating since he was literally 9 months old and people thought it very weird but it's just what he is used too so he thinks it's quite normal! So don't be afraid to let him try anything and everything , we are the only ones who seem to put limits on what babies should like !
    Hello.

A quick reply as will come back later. I've bought all the ingredients for the veggie sticks but realised it has egg in it! She had scrambled egg a couple of weeks ago and got a huge rash on her mouth. I need to chat to the doctor about it and maybe steer clear for a bit.

Any alternatives to binding?