+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Open Colleges - anyone used them?

just looking into doing a short course via online learning. I've found an intro to interior design course I'd be keen to perhaps try. it goes for 6 months and costs $490.

has anyone used open colleges for any study? if so, what did you think?

I'm basically looking for a bit of a taster into an area I'm interested in, not too much commitment (I'm on mat leave) but something to keep my mind occupied.

or are there any other online course providers that might be better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've used them to do a bookkeeping course. They are good. My course was actually run by North Coast TAFE, but Open Colleges facilitated the online learning, if that makes sense?
    I personally found the online learning hard, but mostly because I'm terrible when it comes to procrastination - you need to be very dedicated. I just had a baby and found it hard to find the time to study.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to julski For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've used them😊 I found it fine, I also did a 6 month course but rang and spoke with them about fast tracking through and I finished the entire thing in 10 days.
    I had to submit assignments and do over the phone testing, but it was all surprisingly easy to organise.
    Because it's online learning you have to push yourself to do it but I much prefer studying when I want to and not having to attend classrooms. They did have online forum where you can chat with other students but I tend to avoid them as they usually get me more confused.
    Good luck 😊

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweetcheeks1 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by julski View Post
    I've used them to do a bookkeeping course. They are good. My course was actually run by North Coast TAFE, but Open Colleges facilitated the online learning, if that makes sense?
    I personally found the online learning hard, but mostly because I'm terrible when it comes to procrastination - you need to be very dedicated. I just had a baby and found it hard to find the time to study.
    thanks for the feedback!

I'm due in under 3 weeks so prob not the best time to be signing up 😂

I thought if things go well with bub and I'm up to it a bit further down the track though, it might be ok.

anyway thanks for the response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Open Colleges - anyone used them?

argh just wanted to vent and say how annoyed I am with these people right now!!

a guy from open colleges has been in touch but I've found the barrage of phone calls a little extreme. I blocked their number and emailed him requesting we chat via email instead.

he's continued to ignore my request and keeps saying when is a good time to chat. I've replied and stated my preference for email correspondence, mainly so I can review the info and go over it with dh and see if this course is something I want to do.

anyway he replied to my last email with a very glib "good luck with that". I'm quite offended by the rudeness. all I wanted was my free course guide as advertised on the website and it's like they won't give it to you without doing some massive sales spiel first.

really annoyed.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 16-02-2016 at 12:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes the whole hard sell thing is really detrimental to the image of open colleges and online learning, the kiosks at the shopping center... makes me cringe.
    I enquired via email too about possibly doing a course when I was feeling a bit stuck in a rut anyway I just wanted info and like you OP had to block their number they just would not give it up that I wasn't 100% interested

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Yes the whole hard sell thing is really detrimental to the image of open colleges and online learning, the kiosks at the shopping center... makes me cringe.
    I enquired via email too about possibly doing a course when I was feeling a bit stuck in a rut anyway I just wanted info and like you OP had to block their number they just would not give it up that I wasn't 100% interested
    thanks for your feedback. glad it wasn't just me!!

I'm just used to the uni way, you enquire about a course and they send you out some info. no hard sell or questions asked or strings attached.

I've finally got the course info I wanted out of this guy. it was like pulling teeth!!

has now put me off using open colleges as I'm worried they'll never leave me alone if I do sign up to the course!!!

I had no idea educational institutions do such a hard sell these days.