+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD - barking and howling dog

We moved to our close-knit little 1000ish people town a few months ago and, while almost everyone seems to have a dog or 3, up until now there's been no barking issues.

The past 3 nights though there have been 2 dogs going nonstop from sunset until I don't know when (still going at 1am last night). One howls, the other barks. DH is away, so I haven't gone for a walk to suss out if both the dogs are at the one property or if the howling dog is setting off someone elses dog barking.

It upset my dog the first night, but now he's worked out to ignore it. But being hot we needed to sleep with all the windows open and it's disturbing the kids.

It sounds like it is behind us about 2 houses away. I wonder if the owners have gone away and just have someone coming each day to feed them. I'm just finding it weird that the problem only just started. So WWYD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know anyone in town yet? Someone might know what's going on, or may be aware of which house they belong to.
    Small towns are the same as big, you can report to council (it might just take longer for someone to give a hoot). You'll prob find that you're not the only one that's annoyed by the dogs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd take a walk to suss out the exact house it's coming from. Then you can try and work out what's going on.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing, because I'd be taking it further (speaking to neighbours) if it seems to becoming a regular thing.

Approaching council is something I'd resort to only if the owners refused to rectify the situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know my direct neighbours but it's not any of their dogs. If DH wasn't away I would have gone for a walk to try to work out the house and see if it looked like anyone was home. Just wasn't sure what I would do then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our old neighbours dog was like this. Never heard a peep unless they went on holidays and then he howled all night. Their house was for sale at one point so we rang the selling RE, who said they were off doing the Kokoda trail, but he would try and get in touch. Whoever was feeding their dog ended up sleeping over and the dog was back to his happy self.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you know your direct neighbours I'd ask them if they know which house the dogs belong to as it the dogs may be one of their direct neighbours (i.e. at a diagonal to you). They may also know some of the story such as if the owners are away, if this has happened before etc.

What I would do next would depend on what information I'd managed to gather. If the owners were away then when they get back I'd drop around, or leave them a note and politely let them know. Not in an attacking way, but in a genuine, 'I thought you'd like to know..' way.

We've gone away for weekends and had someone come round to feed our dog as that seemed nicer for her than putting her in a kennel. I would absolutely want to know if she barked and howled like that. If no one tells me I'm going to assume all was fine and not change our arrangements. If I know about it then I'd know to work out something different for next time (like have her stay at friend's place).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    all the dogs in my area bark alot, one over the back barks at every noise I make (he's new)
    they dont bother me to much anymore, Im currently still (3 1/2 weeks in) dealing with a killer dog :/ nothing is safe outside here, it'll get dead

best bet is to file a noise complaint with council and concern for welbeing with rspca if you hold concern that the animal may be being mistreated

Thanks
    Reviews
    All quiet tonight so I suspect they must have gone away for a long weekend (or they were looking after someone else's dog for that time). Phew!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-02-2016)