+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think by definition something can't be "too healthy" so my initially response would be no.

But I'm not sure that's how healthy would be defined in this thread...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    respecting a child's hunger and fullness signals etc.
    This is a pet peev of mine - kids being made to clear their plate! I know I have food issues but family friends were always made to clear their plate and then get fed dessert. Both have bigger food issues than me and struggle with their weight a lot more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    This is a pet peev of mine - kids being made to clear their plate! I know I have food issues but family friends were always made to clear their plate and then get fed dessert. Both have bigger food issues than me and struggle with their weight a lot more!
    My DH insists on kids eating what's on their plate and I hate it! I now give them smaller portions that I know they can finish and then let them come back for more. I'm an adult and can't stand being served mounds of food and pressured to eat it, surely kids are no different.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-02-2016),Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I'm in the healthy relationship with food and healthy food being different things.
    I came from a family where I think our food was healthy and balanced - lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains with junk food here and there - fish and chips from the deli on a Friday night was awesome!
    I have a bit of a weird relationship with food though because of my mum and the way she viewed herself. She weighed herself everyday and if the scales were low, she was happy, if she put on weight, she was cranky and this woman weighed 44kg! She was so small - I was taller than her and weighed more by the time I was 13.
    Any how, I digress.
    Do I think there's such a thing as too healthy, no but I think food and health and our relationship to food and health can be pretty complicated.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-02-2016),Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    The problem I now have is that I maybe left it too late to introduce them to "treat" food and when they go to parties they don't have very good self control and I worry that they look like pigs cause they keep going back for more.
    I have certainly seen this at parties, but then you also see the kids who get junk all day every day and also barely come up for air (one of my nephews is like this). I'm not sure if it is just some kids or more likely to happen if they don't get that food normally.

I have let DD eat everything (not quite, she reacts to MSG so unfortunately we have to limit some things). I will get iced cake donuts for afternoon tea if I haven't had time to bake. She could spot a maccas from 200m by 4 years old. She also loves veggies and will try almost anything from curry through to apple stroop.

But sometimes at parties she can struggle to find much to eat. She doesn't like pies or sausage rolls, hates party franks, knows she can't have more than 2-3 handfuls of cheezels/twisties/shapes/flavoured chips due to msg and knows her tummy hurts if she just eats sweet things. When she was little I used to take along a bag of salt only chips just in case. Now she's at the drop and run age, I make her some fairy bread when she gets home (with round 100s and 1000s and butter on white bread )

Thanks
    Reviews
    But sometimes at parties she can struggle to find much to eat. She doesn't like pies or sausage rolls, hates party franks, knows she can't have more than 2-3 handfuls of cheezels/twisties/shapes/flavoured chips due to msg and knows her tummy hurts if she just eats sweet things. When she was little I used to take along a bag of salt only chips just in case. Now she's at the drop and run age, I make her some fairy bread when she gets home (with round 100s and 1000s and butter on white bread )
    This is DD she doesn't like party pies, sausage rolls, cocktail Frankfurts, hot chips - so she just eats the fairy bread and corn chips and crackers or nothing. Seriously can't win with this whole healthy thing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is such a great thread. I've just noticed recently starting feel anxiety and stress due to what and how my children eat. After reading this I now feel I have been doing things right and don't need to worry. We eat healthy food at home, don't restrict when at friends, grandparents and parties and respect how our children feel in regards to quantities etc. Thanks ladies love hearing all these different ideas, thoughts and opinions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglepuss For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I still do cool party food for DS parties but for the savoury stuff I don't do party pies and Frankfurt's but instead do cool sandwiches or sliders or chicken wings or ribs or crab cakes as again typical kids party food is horrid ( those play centre parties are the worst) and most of our friends do the same ( or ask me to make stuff!)
    This year will be interesting though as DS just started school so a whole new group of kids so not sure what kind of parties/food will be on offer!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those who have no junk in the house, do your kids consider it a treat to eat junk when out somewhere?

Do your kids get to choose things to go in the trolley if they grocery shop with you? If you do buy them something, do you still get it even if their choice is 'junk'?
    We try not to use the word treat. We even try to steer away from the work healthy and go with nutritious. Eg- is this food nutritious? Does it fuel the body? Etc. To answer your question, no I don't think they consider take away etc a treat, just sometimes food (that being the other word we use). Same goes for ice cream etc, our kids know we don't have it at home because it's not nutritious, but it's fine to eat sometimes.

As for grocery shopping, my kids generally don't contribute to the trolley (unless we're shopping for a camping trip). If it's a normal shop they just know what goes and what doesn't. It's not a big deal. But sure, if they want to try a different fruit or something they can go for it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    Yep I think it can be overdone for sure. Same goes for the other direction obviously.

My mum was a great cook and baker so we had homemade treats, cooked breakfasts, homemade lunchbox food and delicious, nutritious dinners. We also had icecream (not every night) and milo etc etc. I have no hang ups from my childhood eating.

I'll happily raise my hand and admit I'm one of those mums who occasionally gets an eye roll about how we eat. I don't care, but I find it interesting. I think I've found the balance. It's taken time but I'm hopeful I'm on the right path. My basic rule of thumb is 80-90% non-packaged or processed foods at home, and 100% none of those in lunchboxes (exception of plain rice crackers).

Here's where the balance comes in - we eat take out once a week, kids get tuckshop a few times a term, they can eat what they want at a party/someone else's house, grandma feeds them purely junk food and lives 3 minutes away, we go out for icecream etc sometimes...the list goes on. My eldest went to junior youth for the first time last night - he said they had Coles Anzac biscuits for a snack (he loves them) and sausage in white bread for dinner (he loves white bread!) All good! Also, when we go camping (every long weekend of the year and some school holidays) the kids come on the 'camping shop' and choose some treats or a sugary breakfast cereal or something for the trip.

Concluding my novel, I'm seeing no signs of food issues in my kids thus far. They happily eat what is on offer at home and happily eat other foods elsewhere (not like rabid animals - just like normal kids).
    This is pretty much me, except we are additive and preservative free at home. They still have treats at parties and we get an icecream after swimming each week. DD gets tuckshop a couple times each term.

We made the move to becoming additive/preservative free for health reasons. My DS1 reacts badly to additives. I found their asthma flared up badly with preservatives. And my DD used to get hives constantly. I get eczema after I've eaten something shouldn't have.

I try to find a balance, but it's not a treat if it causes hives or results in ventolin being needed.

We don't make a big deal about food at all. They just eat what they're used to which is good wholesome nutritious food.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-02-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast