+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I like this a lot ^^^^
    My first is due in a few weeks and I've been thinking about how we are going to encourage healthy eating. We are both vegetarians and rarely eat processed foods. I love the idea of strictly eating healthy food for a few years and slowly becoming more relaxed when our DD is a little older.

I've seen our 1 year old niece stuff muffins, sugary cereal, jam covered croissants, processed meats, cordial and ice cream in her mouth and it makes me cringe. She is bonkers! So a blanket 'no crap food' rule will work best for us too I think.
    This sounds like a great plan and I hope it works out for you. Just remember though every kid is different and sometimes this just isn't possible for many reasons and it's quite ok if you can't stick to this plan.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

A&S  (06-02-2016),BettyV  (06-02-2016),binnielici  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),Stretched  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those who have no junk in the house, do your kids consider it a treat to eat junk when out somewhere?

Do your kids get to choose things to go in the trolley if they grocery shop with you? If you do buy them something, do you still get it even if their choice is 'junk'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Those who have no junk in the house, do your kids consider it a treat to eat junk when out somewhere?

Do your kids get to choose things to go in the trolley if they grocery shop with you? If you do buy them something, do you still get it even if their choice is 'junk'?
    We had strict healthy eating for those first 3 years of starting solids as we wanted to encourage healthy eating. After that some not so healthy foods were allowed and the boys know what is and isn't good for them to eat alot of. They don't have alot of the not so good foods and aren't interested or miss it. When we go out for dinner or to the club for a drink for example they will have a lemonade and a pkt of chips which they see as a treat. They know they don't have that at home and don't carry on about it. Same goes at easter, they are now old enough and are allowed to eat to their hearts content but they actually eat very little of the heap of chocolate they get at easter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

A&S  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I try not to emphasize it being a treat per say, more like a food we just have sometimes. I try not to make bad food too much of a reward - sorry not really explaining myself that well but makes sense in my head 😅. I tend to call junk food 'party food' out of habit.

I always shop with the kids and just laugh and say no if they pick out junk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you think you can make your child's diet too healthy?

Not a treat but a sometimes food, I don't reward anything with food , we don't eat fast food but will get dessert when eating out , gelato is his fav or mum always buys him a lemonaide ice block or vanilla milkshake when they go to the shops ( boring but he thinks is great!)
    DS up until last week when he started school always came grocery shopping with me, at the fruit shop he is in charge of picking the fruit and veg for the week , they all know him at the butcher , deli and fish market so it's a fun thing and at the supermarket I meal plan so have a list so there's really nothing for him to choose as such ( mainly staples and dairy ) the only thing he ever really asked for was a chupa chup at the checkout, sometimes he gets one, sometimes he doesn't

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's less about the food itself (to a point) and more about how it's used/associated.

Obviously the more natural the better, and lots of fruit/veg etc etc - stuff we all know - but I think it's more important to reach a healthy relationship with food by teaching moderation, not using it as rewards or punishment, not being overly restrictive and respecting a child's hunger and fullness signals etc.

I think if you model and teach a healthy relationship with food, the rest falls in to place.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (06-02-2016),Stretched  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I like this a lot ^^^^
    My first is due in a few weeks and I've been thinking about how we are going to encourage healthy eating. We are both vegetarians and rarely eat processed foods. I love the idea of strictly eating healthy food for a few years and slowly becoming more relaxed when our DD is a little older.

I've seen our 1 year old niece stuff muffins, sugary cereal, jam covered croissants, processed meats, cordial and ice cream in her mouth and it makes me cringe. She is bonkers! So a blanket 'no crap food' rule will work best for us too I think.
    Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning, I definitely recommend it - as they eat what you eat you then naturally want to eat better and I think them watching you eat all these healthy things sets a great example - also offer a huge variety, some people think babies need bland food but breastmilk is very flavoursome so offer things even you don't like ( DS loves olives and I can't stand them!) and add herbs and spices to everything !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A&S  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning, I definitely recommend it - as they eat what you eat you then naturally want to eat better and I think them watching you eat all these healthy things sets a great example - also offer a huge variety, some people think babies need bland food but breastmilk is very flavoursome so offer things even you don't like ( DS loves olives and I can't stand them!) and add herbs and spices to everything !
    Thanks. I've heard of it but didn't exactly know what it was. It makes perfect sense though

Thanks
    Reviews

In a way yes, by that I mean that we have taught our kids to eat healthy mainly because we do (we're just not into junk food and I've never been, always gives me an upset belly). We have introduced them to things as they got older (despite ridicule from family about my food strictness) but they still would prefer a sandwich to McDonald's.

The problem I now have is that I maybe left it too late to introduce them to "treat" food and when they go to parties they don't have very good self control and I worry that they look like pigs cause they keep going back for more.

DS is very moral and well basically thinks he's the worlds police and he does get a bit grandstanding about his healthy choices especially with drinks but he does that with everything.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 06-02-2016 at 20:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP haven't read any replies. Unless your child is underweight and malnourished then the diet isn't 'too' healthy.

If someone sticks to a parental ideal (whether it be health food, BLW, delayed solids etc) while their baby was behind average on the growth charts then I think it's fair to say they would need a Big fat reality check (and visit from the MCHN).

I haven't seen very many cases on BH at all (in the years I've been on) where things led me to believe someone was being overly healthy with their kid.

Although the carrots at maccas thread came close.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-02-2016),binnielici  (07-02-2016),Stretched  (06-02-2016)