+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    If the person is of sound mind, yep 100% in support. People should have a right to end their lives by non violent means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Yes, I've been a nurse for longer than id like to admit and I've seen so many painful horrible deaths.
    I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies.
    We are humane enough to put our dogs and cats out of misery, why don't we do it for the sick and dying?
    I 110% agree with both your points.
    If we don't put down our sick pets who are suffering, we can get charged for animal cruelty!! Yet for our human loved ones, they are forced to suffer. What the???

I am also a nurse. I help people die as comfortably as possible. But sometimes it's just so hard to get on top of their rapidly changing comfort needs. And (a BIG and), that's only when their all their family members, and their doctor all agree.
    I have many people begging me to just let them die. But I'm not allowed. It's very heartbreaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I believe patients should have the option of euthanasia. Absolutely.

But...as a doctor, could I administer the lethal injection? No. I just couldn't do it.

Thankfully, I've never been in this situation. But it's a messy, awful, confusing subject.

I'm not the only doctor to feel this way. Not sure what the answer is.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    is there not an automated machine that can do that? the person gets hooked up via iv and then one of the consenting/signing family members press it, if the person being euthanized is unable to? I don't blame you with not being able to administer the lethal injection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually dedicated part of my masters to this issue. Fact is that we already have it in various forms.

1. Treatment can be withdrawn from a patient in a persistent vegetative state when certain criteria are met and it is determined that it's in their best interests to die. This is a horrible process where patients pretty much just starve to death.

2. The 'doctrine of double effect' is the legal doctrine that allows medication to be administered to manage pain, even if a secondary effect is that is hastens a patient's death. This is effectively euthanasia, just with slower, less effective drugs.

My view? Euthanasia already exists but doctors provide it in a legal grey zone that is completely unreasonable to them. I think they should use hospital panels, the same way they do with late term abortion with independent psych and medical opinion sought.

It seems ridiculous to me that a process can exist where it can be determined that is in a patient's best interests to die, yet once that assessment has been made, we don't allow patients to access the most effective means of relief.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Kazzy36  (06-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes
    After watching my mum suffer as she was dying from ovarian cancer, wasting away, needing help for the most basic of human needs, crying herself to sleep every day, I support euthanasia.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    is there not an automated machine that can do that? the person gets hooked up via iv and then one of the consenting/signing family members press it, if the person being euthanized is unable to? I don't blame you with not being able to administer the lethal injection.
    Well if there is, I have never seen one, or even heard one being mentioned or discussed. And I have worked in many hospitals, including ICU and Palliative Care in major tertiary hospitals.

Have any of the nurses?

I always thought it was an urban myth.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a fan of euthanasia because I just don't feel comfortable with the thought of ending a human life. It's a feeling that is hard to explain.

Secondary reasons include a person making a decision to kill themselves when it really shouldn't be. Eg family pressure them, they have depression, don't understand their medical situation, worries about the financial burden of their care in their family, misdiagnosis etc. I've seen family's get awfully nasty and break up when it comes to elderly parents and inheritances - thank god euthanasia was off the table then.

I don't think it's right for someone to expect another person to assist with killing them. That's a burden that shouldn't be placed on others. As a minimum if euthanasia was to become legal I would like it restricted only to cases where individuals had their full faculties and was physically able to do the dees themselves.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (06-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    This is a surprisingly lovely article on a couple who chose when to end their lives. I'm a 'yes'.

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive...the-big-sleep/
    I read this article a couple of weeks ago. How very beautiful.

And my answer is yes, most definitely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.

DP is a doctor and feels the same as @J37.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

J37  (06-02-2016)