+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I am all for euthanasia, however it is not a black and white argument.

For example: what constitutes a terminal illness for the sake of euthanasia? Expected life expectancy? Someone with a life expectancy of 3 months vs 3 years with the same condition but different severity of symptoms - would euthanasia apply in both situations or just one of them? What exactly would constitute a condition where euthanasia would apply?

Do you remember the case of Nancy Crick? She claimed she had cancer and was basically the poster woman of the pro euthanasia debate. She successfully euthanized herself and it was found after the fact that she didn't actually have cancer.

It's easy to sit back and say yes or no, but there is a lot more to it than that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't. I believe in respecting a persons right to decline medical treatment and I believe that palliative care could be greatly improved in our medical system. But no I don't agree with euthanasia. X

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. But before those who choose to go that path should have to do some sort of counseling beforehand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, for the reasons you stated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Euthanasia - Yes or No?

Yes, I've been a nurse for longer than id like to admit and I've seen so many painful horrible deaths.
    I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies.
    We are humane enough to put our dogs and cats out of misery, why don't we do it for the sick and dying?
    Last edited by SpecialK; 06-02-2016 at 11:59.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),BettyW  (06-02-2016),Blossom74  (06-02-2016),Clementine Grace  (06-02-2016),HearMeRoar  (06-02-2016),ICanDream  (06-02-2016),Summer  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree with it provided adequate measures are set up to ensure it is done safely and appropriately.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, and I don't think it should be dependent upon having a terminal medical illness either.

Sometimes I think there people who just reach a stage in their lives (usually well into old age) where they have just had enough. Day to day life just doesn't offer them joy anymore. They have experienced everything they want to experience.

We have gotten to the point where the medical community seems to believe that the longer we live the better off we will be, but to what end? Not everyone wants to continue living when all of their family and friends have already passed on.

I think people should have the right to end their lives at a time that they feel is right, no matter what their medical situation might be. And I certainly don't think there is any excuse for making people suffer through their last moments on Earth.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (06-02-2016),BettyW  (06-02-2016),bezzy  (06-02-2016),Gentoo  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),onionskin  (06-02-2016),SheWarrior  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Yes I agree with it provided adequate measures are set up to ensure it is done safely and appropriately.
    that's the thing, I think doctors and hospitals would be terrified of the potential liability stemming from wrongful death lawsuits filed by disgruntled family members.

from a humanity perspective of the person requesting it, I am all for it. but the legal liability aspect for the hospital/doctors could be massive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    that's the thing, I think doctors and hospitals would be terrified of the potential liability stemming from wrongful death lawsuits filed by disgruntled family members.

from a humanity perspective of the person requesting it, I am all for it. but the legal liability aspect for the hospital/doctors could be massive.
    Exactly but there must be a legal way like for simplicity sake two signatures of family members that support the decision and sign away legal recourse. I just think we need to find a way to make it work for people in situations that want to make that choice. DHs grandma for example us physically unwell but mentally sound, if she could do it she would, she doesn't want to live with her ailing body anymore knowing it will get worse. At 94 she should be able to make that decision, she's old enough.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe patients should have the option of euthanasia. Absolutely.

But...as a doctor, could I administer the lethal injection? No. I just couldn't do it.

Thankfully, I've never been in this situation. But it's a messy, awful, confusing subject.

I'm not the only doctor to feel this way. Not sure what the answer is.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (06-02-2016)