+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Morning routine

OK so we have had our first week at kindy in SA last week and it didn't go real well but the biggest problem we are having is getting out the door in the morning.
    Eventually dd will be going on the school bus(we live rural) but at this stage due to her anxiety about kindy we are driving her daily. So we have to leave at 8am to be at kindy by 8.40am (when we catch the bus we will have to leave at 7.30am which seems very unlikely at this stage). We live on a farm so until now have never really had a morning routine we have to stick to.
    This was our attempt last week
    7am get up and try to convince two children that normally sleep till 8am out of bed.
    Finally get kids up by 7.30 and try to get an answer out of dd as to what she wants for lunch. Then what she wants for breakfast.
    Kids finish breakfast around 7.50 at which time I'm going into meltdown as still have to dress two kids, brush hair, do teeth, pack bag and get them loaded in the car.
    We have had the tele on each morning and I'm thinking of turning that off next week to see if it helps.

So any tips or tricks from other parents as to what I'm doing wrong and any ways to fix this??? Please!

Sent from my MotoG3 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get them up earlier. Earlier to bed too. They will get use to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep I have to get DS up an hour earlier for school than he is used to and he needs a good hour to eat/chill/play/dress etc before we walk out the door at 7.45 - we do bath before bed and I make lunch the night before

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm on a farm and I just have to be quite militant with my three in order to get them on the bus on time. Mine are 10, 8 and 4 so I've been doing this for a while.
    My tips would be:
    Definitely earlier to bed and earlier wake up - I get up at 6am and kids are woken at 6.30 (my middle son is always a PITA to get out of bed but I use my little friend Ipad bribery as his currency)

Pack everything you can the night before - I also ask the kids the night before what they want for lunch and do their lunch boxes the night before.

Breakfast again for my middle one is often impossible so I just make him something I know he likes and stick it in front of him and say EAT!

No screen time unless bags are packed, clothes and shoes are on, hair and teeth are done and breakfast is eaten. Our mornings are always a flurry of activity and it's always chaotic but it's MUCH more bearable the more organised in advance I am.

We're on late bus this term so they don't have to be on until 8.10am which is lovely. Next term they have to be on at 7.20am.

It's a really huge learning curve both for you and your DD to get used to this whole school morning routine so you're doing a great job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get up between 6-6.30 dress myself, make lunches (don't ask what they want they eat what they are given) have a cup of tea and breakfast. Then wake whichever child is not awake already and get dressed, feed breakfast which is usually a bulk batch of veggiemite on toast that they have to sit at the table and eat.
    Then we do brush teeth put shoes on then they play before school and I clean the kitchen etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, definitely earlier to bed, so she wakes naturally earlier. And do almost everything the night before, lay out uniform and shoes, pack lunches etc. Definitely no TV til completely ready..that will motivate her to get ready quicker!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last year I was full time and had to leave at 7am for a 35 min drive to the first of 2 dropoffs (OSHC and daycare) before going to work. This year work 3 days and drop the kids off locally at 7am. Same as our4boys, I get myself up before the kids. I get up at 5.30am, shower, dress, breakfast/cuppa and make lunches. I love my calm start to the day and it always puts me in a good place before the crazy starts.

Sometimes the kids would wake by themselves but usually I'd be dragging them out of bed. When school-age DD was super tired I would actually dress her myself - easier than nagging! Bith kids get dressed straight away. If they are up early and dressed, then they can have porridge or cereal for breakfast. If they are up later, they get toast so that they can bring it in the car if they haven't finished. By the end of the year when they were totally pooped I would be putting DS in the car PJs on, half asleep, DD would have her uniform on but would brush her hair during the commute and they would both have breakfast in the car.

This year is easier as they get fed at care when I drop them off.

The best thing for us though is to get them dressed before eating, other way around never works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely no TV. That's the reason we started no TV in mornings (or afternoons, but it begun with just the mornings). My kids need to get out of bed a bit over an hour before whatever leaving time is. So for my DS1, he gets out of bed straight away, so his alarm is set for exactly 1 hour before he leaves. For my DD and DS2 who I need to drag out of bed, I start waking them up about 1hr25mins before we are due to leave. They MUST be out of bed an hour before we leave.

I keep an eye on the time. I try to have them finished breakfast within the first half hour. Then the next half hour they get dressed, pack lunches, do hair etc.

At about 10 mins before leaving time, they get a 10min warning. At this time I also question all the things they usually forget ie "have you brushed your teeth? Have you got your hat? etc".

Works fairly well. It only goes badly when I am tired/non-attentive as to what they're up to. They seem to still need prompting. I am working on that though and the older two are quite independent now, it's the younger, more distractable one, that causes issues!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the replies but the 2 biggest things that work for me:

1) list on the fridge with words and pictures of all the things that need to be done in the morning in order eg:
    1. Eat breakfast
    2. School clothes on
    3. Make your bed
    4. Brush teeth etc etc

Then get your DD to practice following the steps

2) get as much ready the night before. Lay clothes out, fill up drink bottle etc

Oh and no TV /iPads etc in the morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely get them up earlier but earlier to bed too.

No TV in the morning, it leads to nothing but disaster in our house.

We get up at 7am kids have breakfast then can do what they like till 8.15am then it's teeth, get dressed and out the door at 8.30 for school. It means we get to school early if we are on time or right on time if we are a bit later.

I do lunches in the mornings but have lunch boxes out and ready to pack on the morning, clothes out the night before and bags sorted bar lunch boxes