+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you think? Career Advice please!!

I'm after abit of career advice from ya'all particularly Managers who would be in charge of recruiting new staff.

I have just moved inter-state with my family and left a fantastic position in a State Government organisation I have worked for over 13 years! My role was relatively senior, I worked up to this level - I'm not super qualified but I'm working on that. It was a really broad role and so varied I was basically on fire and I loved the work!

Moving interstate, I'm not in a position to find a job while I'm in a job. I applied for 6 roles before Christmas, I've heard back from 2 that I didn't make short list. One I know is still shortlisting, 2 I haven't heard from. The last one I had interviewed for and was unsuccessful but they offered me a temporary position for 3 months with possible extension to cover a whole heap of them going on leave. This is for State Government in the State I have moved to and hence a 'foot in the door'.

Without any other offers, I stopped applying for other jobs and took this job. It's of a lower grade and I knew that going in but I've been there for a week and I hate it! The people are lovely that's not the problem. It's the work! It's 100% transactional, filling in forms all day. The way the work is divided I will never get anything interesting to do ever. I already know I don't want to extend after the 3 months but I'm wondering if I should apply for jobs now anyway. I want to be able to put this organisation's name on my cv to show I've begun to work in this State, and say the role is contract. Would that look bad if I did that applying for another job after only 1 week in this role? I don't really want to leave them high and dry either, I'm too professional for that.

Or should I just grin and bare it for 3+ months? I'm fairly sure they would extend my contract and they have already agreed to approve a 1 month trip I have planned overseas (another spanner in the works for this job thing) in June/July.

I just feel like I'm getting dumber in this job! I'm getting absolutely nothing from it and I don't think that will change.

You're great if you made it this far. I need to ask someone as my DH just wants me to apply for other jobs but I'm not sure if that's the right answer.
    Last edited by Naboo; 06-02-2016 at 07:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dh would be like yours and say apply for other jobs.
    Me personally I would stick with the job for 2 months then start applying. If you are successful at the new role, let them know the contract ends in 3m and they should be ok for you to start then. I would honor the 3m contract.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Sticking it out would also mean I get a reference. But I will have nothing else to show from doing this job. I literally do admin all day I find myself wondering if sticking around is helping or hindering my career.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been a week only. You're getting an income and presumably opportunities to apply for internal government jobs that would otherwise be unavailable to you. You never know where this might lead. I would 100% stay but apply for other jobs. I was in a job for one month once when my dream job was advertised so I applied - didn't get it but a few months later secured an excellent role in the same department.
    Having been a manager and recruiter it is perfectly acceptable to explain you have just moved hence the short role and you are seeking employment more within your field of expertise. But I also think you need to show some humility about it and be grateful they gave you this opportunity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is true. I am grateful they gave me this opportunity. I'm also worried I'll be stuck here. This o/s trip in June/July really makes things awkward. Realistically I should just hang around until after the trip as its easier to get a job while in one. But the thought of doing this for 6 months makes me cringe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    It's been a week only. You're getting an income and presumably opportunities to apply for internal government jobs that would otherwise be unavailable to you. You never know where this might lead. I would 100% stay but apply for other jobs. I was in a job for one month once when my dream job was advertised so I applied - didn't get it but a few months later secured an excellent role in the same department.
    Having been a manager and recruiter it is perfectly acceptable to explain you have just moved hence the short role and you are seeking employment more within your field of expertise. But I also think you need to show some humility about it and be grateful they gave you this opportunity.
    I agree with this. Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to suck it up for the next few months and apply for new jobs after your holiday.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (06-02-2016)