+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Wasn't that Germany that had the mass attacks?
    The attacks in Sweden happened before Germany they where just covered up. It wasn't until the attacks in Germany that attacks in Sweden came to Public attention. BTW these attacks are also happening in other European countries.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),NORgirl  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people find the rape allegations not quiet right, as the woman apparently is no where to be found, and is no longer pressing charges, if his name was John smith the law would not be enforcing justice for a woman who had been raped and no longer wanting to press charges. Especially one as a pp mentioned is still in this day an age covering up other sexual harassment cases.
    He is the only alleged rapist I have ever heard of been asked to have extradited.

Putting people's lives in 'danger' is not a valid reason a country should choose not to help one of its citizens, seeing as governments help and assist rapists, drug smugglers, murders and war criminals, the reason the Australian government won't help seems to be so as not to upset the US.

I'm not saying I agree with his tactics, but the law needs to be enforced the same for us all, otherwise it has not failed Julian assange, it has failed all of us.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (07-02-2016),NORgirl  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Julian Assange.... Why is he treated differently?

I thought there was more than one woman (3) who claimed he raped them?

Eta: also, I know in the states, the DA can still choose to pursue charges against somebody even if the victim has chosen to back down.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-02-2016 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I thought there was more than one woman (3) who claimed he raped them?

Eta: also, I know in the states, the DA can still choose to pursue charges against somebody even if the victim has chosen to back down.
    I think it was three too, two pulled out immediately.
    I know that some countries can still do this, (of which I don't think Australia is one- I may be wrong.)
    It just seems a little suss.

To me it seems because he has wronged governments he gets it a lot worse then others. It just isn't right. The law and justice system must be the same for us all to be enforceable and to work.

In the end when it comes down to it I think it took some courage, albeit a heck of a lot of callousness too, to expose all these things, because why should we blindly trust these governments who decide to send their young men and women off to war. When we have centuries that show us war solves nothing.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (07-02-2016),Summer  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    From what I know, I totally agree. I don't get why the rape allegations are being downplayed. Innocent until proven guilty, bit refusing to face the music smacks of guilt.
    From what I have read, the two women involved both slept with Assange on separate occasions. He stayed with one for the 6 weeks (following their sexual relations), and the other was about a week which also included her throwing him a crayfish party and shouting breakfasts. Then, both women found out about each other, cracked the poops and went down the police station station to demand HIV tests or something. One woman was even recorded saying the police had made it up. The case dropped due to lack of evidence (I think), then re-opened 3 weeks prior to an election. The party had a few scandals in the lead up so Assange completely shifted the focus. More than a little suss.
    As for Australia helping Assange, I think every Australian citizen should have that right, whether they're drug dealers or whistle blowers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Janesmum123;8399048]The attacks in Sweden happened before Germany they where just covered up. It wasn't until the attacks in Germany that attacks in Sweden came to Public attention. BTW these attacks are also happening in other European countries.[/QUOTE

I'm a little off topic here but just had to add, it's not just sex attacks. I read on UNHCR that about 10 000 unaccompanied refugee children have gone missing across Europe. 1000 children missing from Sweden, they registered on arrival but no one can find them. They suspect it's linked to sex trafficking. Absolutely frightening.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I think people find the rape allegations not quiet right, as the woman apparently is no where to be found, and is no longer pressing charges, if his name was John smith the law would not be enforcing justice for a woman who had been raped and no longer wanting to press charges. Especially one as a pp mentioned is still in this day an age covering up other sexual harassment cases.
    He is the only alleged rapist I have ever heard of been asked to have extradited.

Putting people's lives in 'danger' is not a valid reason a country should choose not to help one of its citizens, seeing as governments help and assist rapists, drug smugglers, murders and war criminals, the reason the Australian government won't help seems to be so as not to upset the US.

I'm not saying I agree with his tactics, but the law needs to be enforced the same for us all, otherwise it has not failed Julian assange, it has failed all of us.
    Australia has offered him consular assistance, and helped him in the way we help other citizens in trouble with the law in other countries.

We did not however, offer to protect him from extradition applications - and we do have an extradition treaty with both England and Sweden.

So its not that he isnt getting any help, its simply that he isnt getting what he wants so he doesnt think its good enough.

I do believe the charges are trumped up. The US cannot extradite him on the data leak charges to the US as it doesnt meet the extradition parameters in England for them to pass him on .... but they would extradite him on sexual assault charges to Sweden.... and it is likely that Sweden will then extradite him to the US - which is why he doesnt want to go to Sweden to face the charges.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),Summer  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im so surprised people are quite unsympathetic towards whistleblowers.

I'm very grateful for JA work and Wikileaks.

Don't expect Australia to help him though.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),Janesmum123  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Im so surprised people are quite unsympathetic towards whistleblowers.

I'm very grateful for JA work and Wikileaks.

Don't expect Australia to help him though.
    We're talking about Julian Assange, not *all* whistleblowers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    Australia has offered him consular assistance, and helped him in the way we help other citizens in trouble with the law in other countries.

We did not however, offer to protect him from extradition applications - and we do have an extradition treaty with both England and Sweden.

So its not that he isnt getting any help, its simply that he isnt getting what he wants so he doesnt think its good enough.

I do believe the charges are trumped up. The US cannot extradite him on the data leak charges to the US as it doesnt meet the extradition parameters in England for them to pass him on .... but they would extradite him on sexual assault charges to Sweden.... and it is likely that Sweden will then extradite him to the US - which is why he doesnt want to go to Sweden to face the charges.
    I understand, but really is it help if it leads to extradition. And while I'm not one to question a sexual harassment case, Sweden's involvement seems a convenient coincidence.