+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree that the rape case is a trumped up charge. I read similar to Californication, that he had sex with the alleged victim without a condom when she wasn't conscious. And his behaviour after that allegation was extremely arrogant as though he believes he is entitled to whatever he d**n well pleases.

If it was someone else in the public eye who did this we would be (rightfully) baying for blood. Why should it be any different for Assange? He did some terrible things with total disregard for who it might hurt, what damage might be done, and what danger he is putting people in.

I'm quite happy for Australia to not be assisting him.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (06-02-2016),Californication  (06-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2016),misho  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know a lot about this case, aside from the basics which have been explained again here. Why are people so sympathetic towards him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I'd like to see him face justice, both for the alleged sexual assault and the Wikileaks stuff. It seems unfair that a major informant had to face the music when Assange is able to avoid it. I would like him to face a fair trial, whether that's possible is another matter entirely

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (06-02-2016),MissMuppet  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshy68 View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I'd like to see him face justice, both for the alleged sexual assault and the Wikileaks stuff. It seems unfair that a major informant had to face the music when Assange is able to avoid it. I would like him to face a fair trial, whether that's possible is another matter entirely
    From what I know, I totally agree. I don't get why the rape allegations are being downplayed. Innocent until proven guilty, bit refusing to face the music smacks of guilt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Quite simply because he p!ssed off the USA and now trumped up charges are trying to be laid to so the USA can get their hands on him.

I sit on the fence with this one, I don't believe he raped anyone but I'm not sure you can leak those documents and not expect to then face the penalties. I dunno you want to take on the big boys you have to know it's not going to end well.
    Just curious as to why you don't think he raped anyone?

If a woman is alleging she was raped, shouldn't those allegations be tested?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Californication  (06-02-2016),Marshy68  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),Ngaiz  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sweden... The country where police covered up mass sex attacks on hundreds or thousands of women - just because the attackers were refugees and the news could cause a backlash against the government.

But this Assange guy, that case they are taking sooo seriously.

there aren't too many heroes in this drama. It's all political.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NORgirl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-02-2016),Janesmum123  (06-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Julian Assange.... Why is he treated differently?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Just curious as to why you don't think he raped anyone?

If a woman is alleging she was raped, shouldn't those allegations be tested?
    Yes absolutely they should be tested and I would be the first to admit I was wrong if he was proved guilty. I don't like him at all and I don't think we should help him, I just felt that it was interesting that it had come up at the time the USA were ramping up their attempts to get him. I don't mean to trivialise it at all, I guess I felt suspicious of the charges. He gives me the creeps I know that much.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 06-02-2016 at 15:42.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Californication  (06-02-2016),JustJaq  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Julian Assange.... Why is he treated differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'll start by saying I don't like him, so that colours my view. I think he's weak personally. He was prepared to post the papers/leaks, but isn't prepared to face the consequences. I don't think he should have done it. Some of the things he put out there put people doing their jobs in danger and that's not cool in my book. Plus, the military guy who gave him the papers is in jail. So why should Assange get to shirk his role in all this by staying in the Embassy? Everyone goes on about how awful it is he's trapped there etc, but that was his choice. And his choice to remain there. There's enough press interest in this that the US can't just make him disappear. They would have to give him a fair trial.

I don't know how I feel about the rape case. If what I read ages ago is true, he had sex with her, without a condom while she was passed out. So she didn't give consent. Even if they had sex before they went to sleep, that doesn't give him implied consent to have sex with her again while she is passed out, which means he did in fact rape her. If that is true, it reinforces my opinion of his character. That his morals aren't as high and mighty as he makes out.
    This.

What's interesting is that in all honesty I don't think America cares about him as much as the rest of the world thinks we do. I'm not saying he won't face charges in America, I'm sure he will eventually, but he rarely pops up as a top story in my newsfeed from the media outlets I follow when Australian and the U.K. outlets are talking about him (i.e. yesterday) I think he thinks he's a bigger deal than he actually is. I also agree that Sweden doesn't usually cater to America. He put people's lives in danger thinking he knew better than others. I have no sympathy for him.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-02-2016 at 18:13.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (06-02-2016),misho  (08-02-2016),MissMuppet  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NORgirl View Post
    Sweden... The country where police covered up mass sex attacks on hundreds or thousands of women - just because the attackers were refugees and the news could cause a backlash against the government.

But this Assange guy, that case they are taking sooo seriously.

there aren't too many heroes in this drama. It's all political.
    Wasn't that Germany that had the mass attacks?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Wasn't that Germany that had the mass attacks?
    I was wondering what that post was referring to. I think you're right.