+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your second child

DD1 woke up to be fed every two hours for the first 8 weeks of her life. Then she started screaming & had to be bounced to sleep for every. single. sleep. She didn't self settle until 8-10 months, didn't sleep through until 13 months. But ate like a horse, and never once turned me down for a feed, took bottles (be it ebm or formula) easily.

DD2 self settled from birth (unless she's overtired but she transfers to bed easily once she's calmed down), sleeps for long stretches and only wakes 2-3 times overnight. But she's fussier while feeding, and I'm not sure if it's that she doesn't need feeding as often or if I'm offering too much because I'm used to DD1's appetite, but she can go quite a while without a feed.

I guess my point is that they're all different & different things might make things easier for you. I consider DD2 an 'easier' baby because she sleeps better than DD1 did, but someone else might value other things over that. (But really, who doesn't value sleep above all else? 😂)

ETA: pregnancy wise, DD2 was a much easier pregnancy (not that DD1's was all that hard) right up until the end, which is probably because she was bigger & stayed in longer. Just heavier & more painful in my hips & pelvis. Otherwise a pretty great pregnancy 😊
    Last edited by TaylorMade; 05-02-2016 at 23:12.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first (DD) was a nightmare baby for the first 3 months, but once we figured out why and got it sorted she was pretty much a textbook baby. She is 4.5yo now and has always been very clingy and shy, she gets anxious around large groups and has always needed a lot of interaction.

My second (DS) was a brilliant newborn, slept loads and fed well. But he got harder as he got older. Sleep went out the window and he kept getting sick, he is 18mo now and has had quite a few hospital stays/Emergency visits and 3 surgeries. So in that way he's been a lot harder but his personality is much easier going. He's happy to play alone for a short time, doesn't freak out around people, and is just generally pretty chilled.

Both were slow to walk (DD at 17mo, DS is just starting now at 18mo) and slow to talk.

They are so similar in some ways, like mannerisms and appearance, but totally different personalities. Both are stubborn though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first, DD, difficult pregnancy, traumatic birth, but as a baby she slept and slept, DS, second, easy pregnancy, easy birth in comparison to the first. DS didn't sleep have a much so it was very different.

DD was always shy, very sensitive, a little highly strung, had terrible separation anxiety at childcare. Now at 11.5, she is quiet independent but it's something we've really worked on, she's very responsible, still a drama queen at home. Has always loved reading, writing, craft. Although with her peers she seems to be very liked, and seems to enjoy taking on leadership roles, and is at this age still completely unfazed by peer group pressure.

DS almost 5, is outgoing, on the go constantly, very independent, a ball of energy, but is more laid back the DD, he can strike up a conversation with anyone, a charismatic, charmer type.

Being so so different, yes, I do parent them different to some extent, not in a way where they would complain that I'm not being fair, but there a simply things that work for one and not other, and of course where I feel I made mistakes with the first I try to correct with second.
    It still amazes me how different they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    #2 was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd and ds are about 2 y apart.
    Both not good sleepers.
    Both fussy eaters, don't like veggies but love fruit.

Dd has always been very clingy and shy. If people even looked or tried to talk to her she would cry.
    Ds much more sociable and easy going.

Even now at 6 (dd).and 4.5 (ds), ds is so much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first, DD has a sunny personality, slept horribly for the first 2 years of her and through tantrums from 11 months old and despite being a lovely kid, is still full on

DS is similar but easier. Or maybe im used to it all. I went with the flow a lot more

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was and is a dreamboat. Slept 10-6 from 8 weeks, would settle with a quick kiss and cuddle. Super easy going, took him anywhere, would sleep anywhere. He ate well and a good variety. He had ONE tantrum not kidding only one. He is still a very relaxed go with the flow personality.

DS2 sigh... He woke every 45 minutes-1 hour around the clock. This lasted until he was over 18 months old. But during the day would nap no longer than 20 minutes. Dropped to one nap (all of 20-25 minutes) at 11 months and all naps gone before 2. He went from 0-10000000 in seconds if he was put down, he had to be in close physical contact with me at all times. He is wilful, stubborn, driven and determined. Heaven help the person who tries to interfere with him now at 3. He is constant non stop activity, he still wakes 2-3 times a night but thankfully now is happy with a cuddle back to sleep.

Could not have two boys who are more different!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    How does their personality compare to your first? I keep hearing stories of really easy first borns followed by insanely high needs second children…

How did you find the whole baby experience compared to your first? Easier? Harder? Just different in some intangible way?

Did your parenting style change between the two?

I think about #2 a lot, it'll still be a couple of years away though. So I thought it'd be fun to just read stories about second babies while I wait
    Dd2 was a dream. She was (and still is) so laid back and goes with the flow. As new born she would self settle, fall asleep anywhere and everywhere, slept 7-7 every night from about 10 weeks. The whole experience with her was polar opposite to dd1. I felt in control, it all came naturally to me. I was definitely a lot more relaxed.

Dd1 was the nightmare baby and nightmare experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds2 was also a dream and still is. He's been the easiest re everything. Ds1 and ds2 are best of buddies but completely opposite personality wise

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys have had big similarities and then also big differences.

DS1 was a rubbish sleeper, was hard work with sleep and has only just stopped consistently waking at nearly 3. DS2 was so much better in comparison. Not one of those wonder sleeps through the night from 2 weeks old but much better.

DS2 is such a daredevil it's not funny. He's so cheeky and is a ratbag. His older brother was so much tamer but was still full on in comparison to other kids around us.

They have looked so similar that you wouldn't be able to tell apart photos from the same ages, even I have to think about it. Really curious to see what DS3 is like.