+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your second child

How does their personality compare to your first? I keep hearing stories of really easy first borns followed by insanely high needs second children…

How did you find the whole baby experience compared to your first? Easier? Harder? Just different in some intangible way?

Did your parenting style change between the two?

I think about #2 a lot, it'll still be a couple of years away though. So I thought it'd be fun to just read stories about second babies while I wait

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Good question! Currently preg with #2. First is high maintenance. Always has been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is nothing like DS, complete opposites. DS was number one, a complete non sleeper, over active crazy baby. DD was a chilled out little thing and so much easier. DD will happily entertain herself, DS will not and has not ever.

They are like chalk and cheese

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well i have two girls aged 9 and 11. DD1 is placid and relaxed, happy with her own company. DD2 is quite dramatic and charming. She can be manipulative but in general a good kid. They are chalk and cheese. I am due to have no. 3 in about a month lol. DD2 walked a lot sooner than DD1. DD1 was a dream baby, placid as, didn't walk until 18 months. DD2 was off at 10 months lol. Very involved, needed to get into everything. Both kids are great sleepers, though DD2 would climb out of her cot at sparrows fart where as DD1 would stay in and play for a while before calling out. Funny how different they are.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 05-02-2016 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was a very easy pregnancy, traumatic birth, seriously easy baby up until 3. Now nearly 5 and he is starting to come good again. 3 1/2- 41/2 has been HARD!

DS2 was a hard pregnancy, elective c sec so birth was okay but post recovery was horrendous. DS2 had reflux and basically screamed for 6 months and I had pnd. Now though? He is 18months old and the chillest dude ever. So happy and so easy, just goes with the flow! He is a real joy to be around and his big brother worships him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 was a horror for the first 4 months, screamed non stop and didn't sleep.

Dd2 is an easy baby in comparison. To be honest, she's probably not the definition of an easy baby- she doesn't sleep great and gets a bit fussy. BUT to me she's easy.

So so glad my first born was the hard one so it was a pleasant surprise with dd2, and my expectations were low, so I'm pleased with what I've got lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 (first born) - very hard baby (never ever slept, was always very active, always needed to be touched/held), but he got easier as a toddler. He was still very active but had exceptional language and was easy to reason with. From about 2.5 yrs old life with ds1 has been a breeze. He is very social, kind, and displays great empathy. He is still physically needy and is not very independent, however.

Dd (second born) - MUCH easier baby. Still not a great sleeper but it wouldn't take much to be better than ds1. Just generally more content and with the flow. She started developing attitude as she got bigger and this attitude is a force to be reckoned with. Much harder toddler than D's. Fiercely independent. She is not even 2 and has toilet trained herself, can completely dress herself without assistance, ride a scooter properly, climb in and out of high chairs and shopping trolleys without help.. She walked at 9 months and has not looked back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your second child

My first and second borns were both great, easy babies. Nowadays my first born, nearly 6, has a typical young boy attitude, my second, just gone 4, has autism and is a lot harder to handle. BUT my third born, a lovely daughter of 3 years, could bring down buildings. She throws tantrums that are far beyond either of the first two. Massive attitude problem. Enough that my MIL (a lovely woman) who is quite experienced with children, has been shocked at my daughters attitude.
    My forth, 18 month old boy, evil... Loves tormenting the older ones but a dream baby. He was sick as a newborn but since then, sleeps wonderful, eats everything he is supposed to and is practically a koala. Clings to me constantly (but I like my cuddles).

Thanks
    Reviews
    my two sons are extremely different
    My first born was highly strung, he was a difficult toddler in his tantrums and behaviour, he was impossible to get to sleep, he was very hard til around 5 tbh,

but he was an extremely social child, he NEVER suffered seperation anxiety, he never did the play and check in thing, none of it.
    he would talk to and connect with anyone.

my second born is much more stand offish, if people talk to him he drops the lip,
    he is much more stubborn then his brother was (so I have to pick my battles), he is far, far more mischief

his tantrums however are reasonably mild, I can usually wait them out and theyre seldomly loud or disruptive,
    He sleeps in his own bed, in his own room all night and naps for 2 ish hours a day (he was left to cry, I wasnt having a repeat of number 1 with him), he self settles and generally has very little bed time drama

however he can be clingy, he does have seperation anxiety when leaving me,
    he is WILD, he will scale to the top of the tallest item (he was climbing the kitchen table before he could walk properly), he can be agressive and will stand his ground every time, hes taken on kids twice his size and won.

theyre like chalk and cheese tbh, totally different kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was super easy going but full of energy as he got older, my second was less easy going due to her asthma, but even more energy (which I dint think was possible). But they play so well together and he always makes her laugh. She is very independent and think that's because of the example be has set for her, she is also more social than he was.