+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Primary school catchments

Just wondering if the catchment areas in Brisbane (specifically Redlands area) are generally enforced?

What is the likelihood of getting into a primary school around Redlands that we aren't in the catchment for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Generally yes but it depends on the school as to how many out of catchment spots they have. We're on the north side but my son goes to an out of catchment school. Schools normally start taking enrolment forms around now for the following year. I suggest calling the school and asking when they start taking forms and get them in on the first morning they accept them. I doubt they'll take them more than a year in advance and we didn't find out until November that he had a spot (most schools would let you know earlier though).

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Primary school catchments

I teach in the Redlands. It depends mostly on the numbers in that year level. If there is space, they can choose to accept or reject an out of catchment child based on behaviour record / academic achievement etc.
    Last edited by Flicka28; 05-02-2016 at 21:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have a look at a school on education qld's site it will tell you if it is enrolment managed or not. If it is under an enrolment management plan that means that the catchment is enforced.

Ie google the school you're interested in and 'education qld' and then choose the link starting with education.qld.au

A lot of schools do enforce their catchment area but that doesn't mean its impossible to get in from outside. Sometimes they'll be looking for an extra few kids to make up a class and will take from outside the catchment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicka28 View Post
    I teach in the Redlands. It depends mostly on the numbers in that year level. If there is space, they can choose to accept or reject an out of catchment child based on behaviour record / academic achievement etc.
    Flicka - do you know if redland schools (like birkdale, ormiston, thornlands etc) wil take siblings as well if the oldest child starts prep there?

Also, what is your opinion of the schools around redlands? Which are the better schools? We are selling our house at capalaba and thinking of moving to thornlands, is that a good school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If one of your children attends the school and is still there they will accept siblings even if you have moved out of catchment. Is that what you meant? IMO most of the schools in the Redlands are pretty good, I only ever really hear negative things about Capalaba and Birkdale South but I'm not sure if that's even valid. I know Cleveland SS has improved massively. It depends what you're looking for e.g Bayview is very new, nice buildings etc...Ormiston is air conditioned....having said that, Thornlands SS would probably be my pick. Have you looked at the myschool website? You can also visit schools and ask to be shown around to get a bit of a feel for them.