+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PLEASE help. Killing myself with stress over this.

So, my partner of 3 years broke up with me over a decision he made to move away and I was devastated. A few weeks or so later I drunkenly bumped into an ex and went home with him, even though I felt sick to the stomach to be with someone else I was so tired of feeling down and alone. We had sex. This was on 27th November 2015.
    Then, a few weeks later my partner came to me and said he had made a mistake and wanted to work things out.
    We had sex on 31st December 2015. 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. I have been given a due date based on an early scan of 26th September 2016 which doesnt make sense. They are telling me I am currently 6 weeks 4 days pregnant which actually takes me back to 21st December and I DID NOT have sex then.
    Is it more likely that this baby is actually from 27th November and I am currently 10 weeks pregnant or have they somehow added 1 week and 1 day onto my scan and really I am only 5 weeks 1 day?

When I put the given due date (from scan) into a calculator online it tells me that I conceived between 28 and 31 December which is accurate and lines up with being my partners but for some reason they have put 2 extra weeks on this based on scan.

I am absolutely killing myself with doubt and panic here please help me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Weeks pregnant refers to when the last period was, not when you had sex. So chances are you conceived two weeks after, making 31st the most likely.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

K010212  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @K010212
    Yeah, don't panic! They add an extra two weeks to calculate it from your last menstrual period (LMP) rather than conception date.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

K010212  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, was in a rush when I wrote that so will elaborate. When they say you are 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant. They mean the egg was released 6 weeks and 4 days ago (when you get your period you body is releasing a new one). When you have sex and conceive the baby, the egg is generally already usually 1-2 weeks old depending on your cycle etc, so you work out when you had sex and add the extra 1-2 weeks to work out how far along you are.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016),K010212  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much, this is such a relief. I just wish my doctor had explained this to me when I was in tears of confusion in her office!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to K010212 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Bongley. This is a massive relief.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to K010212 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Sorry, was in a rush when I wrote that so will elaborate. When they say you are 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant. They mean the egg was released 6 weeks and 4 days ago (when you get your period you body is releasing a new one). When you have sex and conceive the baby, the egg is generally already usually 1-2 weeks old depending on your cycle etc, so you work out when you had sex and add the extra 1-2 weeks to work out how far along you are.
    That's not quite right, your body releases the egg during ovulation which is in the middle of the cycle, and within a few days of conception.

The counting pregnancy from LMP is so dumb. It implies we spent the first two weeks of every cycle being 2 weeks pregnant even though ovulation hasn't even occurred, let alone been fertilised! And that's assuming every woman has a 4 week cycle, which they don't!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016),HeavenBlue  (06-02-2016),Jenga  (05-02-2016),JR03  (05-02-2016),Wise Enough  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh right. My mistake. What I said didn't really make sense then. I don't know where I pulled it from. Can I blame lack of sleep heh

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016),K010212  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally I do have a 4 week cycle. So does this mean that it is possibly from having sex on 27th November or is it still more likely that it is from 31 December?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because technically if this was from 27th November I would have had to have ovulated almost 4 weeks after conception and by then the sperm would have died?