+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default *Spin off* Food allergies and sugar related behaviour

I came late to the closed fairy bread thread and reading it made me wonder:

Have food allergies and hyperactive behaviour from sugar increased bc it's now more picked up and noticed or bc it is actually increasing? If so, why?

When I had my nearly 12 year old, 6+ months was the introduction of solids and there was quite a few no no foods. No nuts until 12 months, no yogurt until 9 etc. Now they say 4 months and the only thing to not introduce is honey bc of botulism. My GP told me it's bc studies have shown that the late introduction of allergy foods has actually made babies more susceptible to allergies.

When I was a kid in the 80's, we ate fairy bread, lollies from the corner store, but had vegies for dinner and walked and rode everywhere. I honestly don't remember this issue of the smallest amount of sugar sending a child nuts. Like ever. Is it bc people have become so obsessive with food with their kids that the lack of non perfect food means when they do have their body can't handle it?

Discuss, but be nice. No closed threads this time M'Kay

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-02-2016),Just*Ace  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    not another closed/deleted thread 🙄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My thoughts. ..

Its our environment and food

Chemicals, food source and processing play a lot to do with everythi g from cancer to alergies.

We eat from a global table. Chemicals run free, very little is home grown and what is is likely effected by crap in the atmoshere anyway

That's my thoughts
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 05-02-2016 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not another closed/deleted thread 🙄
    Did fairy bread get deleted. I unsubscribed cause I had too much. I think the colour additives and sugar were sending me on a bender lol
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 05-02-2016 at 17:33.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not another closed/deleted thread ������
    lol not if everyone can actually discuss stuff without getting silly

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (05-02-2016),TheGooch  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Did fairy bread get deleted. I unsubscribed cause I had too much. I think the colour additives and sugar were sendinge on a bender lol
    Just closed I think.

It moved on to 100's and 1000's vs sprinkles

When I grew up lots of veg came from the garden. Mum always had a cake or something baked.

Being a European family we ate carb heavy but also lots of veg.

I did spend a lot of time outside but the difference was mum made everything from scratch. Bread, cakes, preserves, jams. So loads less additives and preservatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm at work so will be brief.

My understanding sugar per isn't the issue. It is all of the artificial colours, flavourings and preservatives that are commonly found in sugary foods. There are now more additives in our foods than ever before. Reactions can be dose related and be exacerbated in children because they are smaller.

If you would like to read more, see:

http://www.slhd.nsw.gov.au/rpa/aller...l/default.html
    http://fedup.com.au/

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion (not based on fact or anything) is that we're less tolerant of normal kid behaviour which has a huge spectrum and seek out answers to every tantrum or meltdown or bout of nuttiness by attributing it to x instead of just saying meh, kids can be cray cray. My two have their fair share of meltdowns, sometimes their diet is perfect, sometimes it's not. I just think they're kids and kids are a bit nuts sometimes.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not suggesting that there are not kids with intolerances to certain additives etc, merely that I don't think every single episode necessarily had a causal link other than "kids".

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2016),atomicmama  (05-02-2016),binnielici  (05-02-2016),delirium  (05-02-2016),gingermillie  (05-02-2016),harvs  (05-02-2016),Jontu  (05-02-2016),Just*Ace  (05-02-2016),PJbaby  (05-02-2016),TheGooch  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have often wondered about this point. While I think more additives and nasties are in our food now, our children are also inside alot more and unable to play outside as much and run out that built up energy. So we are noticing it much more.when they have sugar.

Mind you my ds is an outside active child and he had half a pink zooper dooper and the change in his attitude was amazing he instantly became out of control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the same as you in that I have an older child and the introduction of food was totally different from when I had DS2 3 years ago. For DS1 it was pureed mush at 4 months, no eggs, nuts etc... until after 12 months and so on. He had quite a bit of sugar (first had ice-cream at less than 12 months ).

There is a lot of research debunking the idea that sugar causes hyperactivity in children. But I know many parents are convinced. I am more inclined to think it is caused by the additives that so many sweet treats contain than the sugar itself. I did not ever see any relationship between sugar and hyperactivity in DS1 and have not seen it in DS2.

I think we as parents (the royal we) are more aware of what our children are eating. I think we are all aware of how heavily processed our diets have become and the impact on our bodies. BUT I think some have swung to far in the opposite direct and have become obsessive about their and their children's diets. To be honest I think we are all becoming too stressed about food and many are demonising certain foods.

Yes there is an obesity problem. But there is also a problem with a sedentary lifestyle, frakenfood filling the grocery store aisles and an insane miss mash of contradictory and confusing information.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-02-2016)