+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Which one do you think has already happened?!

I was going to reply but yours are exactly the same as what I'd say for all of them!
    I'm not saying I think any HAVE happened. I'm just saying, how would we know if some already haven't. For example, do you expect people to advertise that they have time traveled?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    I'm not saying I think any HAVE happened. I'm just saying, how would we know if some already haven't. For example, do you expect people to advertise that they have time traveled?
    haha ok, I get you.
    I'd heard that before as an argument against backward time travel - if it were possible, why has no one come back to tell us? Doing it secretly would be more wise... Someone probably went back in time to change the name of the Berenstein Bears and mess with us all

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (05-02-2016),binnielici  (05-02-2016),HillDweller  (05-02-2016),SuperGranny  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    1. Time travel
    Conflicted on this one lol

2. A I
    Definitely possible and I think it will happen one day

3. Human cloning
    Already possible and highly likely it is already happening.

4. Dinosaurs
    Possible and some idiot will probably do it.

5. Aliens
    Yup - arrogant to assume we are all alone.

6. New planet
    Definitely.
    Exact same answers for me too

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (05-02-2016),SuperGranny  (05-02-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am going to also agree with binnielici, and dss. I especially agree with aliens. the universe is really big, and to think we are all alone, just silly. and I hope we can move to another planet, because we sure are not taking good care of this one. I am reminded of Wall-E. I so love that movie. marie.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (05-02-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people have said yes to AI. I have trouble agreeing here. I am not a techy person at all but aren't all machines programmed with some sort of computer code. I just don't see how it woukd be able to generate it's own new code to enable it to think and make choices etc.

As for cloning humans, definitely possible since animals such as dogs are already being cloned for rich people who miss their pets. Cloning humans I would assume is the same process. The only thing stopping people would be the moral dilemma though it is more than likely someone will do it on the sly.

Dinosaurs, I was watching a doco on sbs about the woolly mammoth so not quite as old as dinosaurs and I think scientists are trying to find a way to clone them now.
    Again i think its possible but hopefully humanity will not be foolish enough to do this. As much as I am curious to see it happen I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Jontu I'm not much of techy person either but if people like Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk think AI is a real possibility and a real threat I'm inclined to agree with them!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The future

My answers are:

1. Time travel

No as we would already know about it lol

2. A I
    Yes, after all feelings are just chemical reactions so we just need to mimic that

3. Human cloning
    Yes

4. Dinosaurs
    In some form yes

5. Aliens
    Yes

6. New planet
    Yes, we can't be that naive to think we've already discovered everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    My brief fling with tech as a young'n suggests computers are run on a set of rules written in code in a way a computer can "understand". These days there are programs that are able to identify patterns within the parameters set and make "educated guesses" based on previous results. If a computer can do it often enough it can in a sense predict outcomes. A computer "sees" in black and white. There are no grey areas. The iPhone app siri is a very basic form of ai. As is voice recognition really. A program that can "learn" to recognise a voice and activate a program could potentially, with the help of a brilliant coding genius, eventually learn to mimic emotions and create it's own indefinite programming sequences.

Watch automata and ex machina. That's what I'm talking about and trying to explain.

Eta: if a computer program could learn to adapt to grey areas and make decisions based on best possible outcome it could be possible
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 05-02-2016 at 18:12.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But even then I don't think the machine would be exercising free will and making a choice. I really can't explain it.
    Btw I really enjoyed the movie ex machina. Also the movie called "she" with joaquin phoenix

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    But even then I don't think the machine would be exercising free will and making a choice. I really can't explain it.
    Btw I really enjoyed the movie ex machina. Also the movie called "she" with joaquin phoenix
    How sure are you that we actually have free will

My answers:

My answers are:

1. Time travel

No I don't think so

2. A I
    Yes

3. Human cloning
    Yes

4. Dinosaurs
    Not sure about this one

5. Aliens